Boat Safety

zziplexboy

If the same rings true for marinised diesels that fuel faults are by far the winner in the breakdown stakes what engine spares do you carry and what tales can you tell of breakdowns?

I've never had a diesel inboard engine, but I've had a few breakdowns with outboards. Once my over heat alarm went off as I was coming back in. That's when I found out that a seagull auxillary was as good as useless on a 17ft boat pushing against waves and tide. Turned out to be a faulty thermostat. Another time my engine started surging and stalled under way. That turned out to be a fixed jet orifice plug on one of the carbs that had vibrated loose and fell out. Then there was the day that the engine just failed to start, although I was getting a good spark and plenty of fuel. That was down to a timing linkage clip coming un-clipped.

The main thing is to have a good knowledge of your engine so you know where to start looking for the problem, and a basic tool kit so you can carry out basic repairs if you have to. I carry a spare set of plugs, some of that rubber tape that seals itself, (for fuel lines etc), some cable ties, some wire and basic tools. I always make sure I have spare fresh fuel in a seperate can so if my main fuel becomes contaminated with water I can at least get back on my spare fuel.

There are some jobs that you just can't do at sea and in those instances you need to be able to call the coastguard. I was out one day when my outboard chewed up a bearing. The only indication I had was the revs dropping by a couple of hundred. I knew something was wrong so throttled right back and made my way straight back to the ramp. When I got home I removed the head and saw that one of the pistons was smashed to bits because parts of the broken bearing had worked their way up in front of the piston. If I'd carried on regardless the whole engine would have self destructed and I would have been in big trouble.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never had a diesel inboard engine, but I've had a few breakdowns with outboards. Once my over heat alarm went off as I was coming back in. That's when I found out that a seagull auxillary was as good as useless on a 17ft boat pushing against waves and tide.

Interesting point. I once lashed my seagull up as a trial. The weather turned suddenly wind and tide against me and I found I was heading for Holland backwards at about 1 knot. this is what creates my vunerable feeling. I,m not a nervous person otherwise I dont think I could drive a 44 ton artic over the alps but I do know that panic means mistakes and poor judgement. I even thought about carrying the rudiments of a sail with me at one point!!

I don't think there's any such thing as being over cautious where the sea is concerned. If there is, I'm probably guilty of it myself. My theory is, think of the worst case scenario then plan how you'll cope with it, because you can be sure that one day it will happen. If it doesn't, you're one up and you've lost nothing.

I'd rather be safe than sorry, even if it does mean missing out on the odd big fish.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Hi Steve...My instructor today told me..."Prepare for the worst...expect the best"......good sentiment I think..... :D:D

I must admit, that I'm much like you, carry spare everything.....

Years ago,I once had an old Wolseley 18/85....paid £80 for it...had to drive down to Nottingham in it.....took spare headlights, and carburettors, in fact anything I could get in the boot.......thank god I didnt need them...but I was home a matter of hours, and the suspension on one side collapsed...... :D:blink::D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

what do members think is the minimum equipment to kit a boat out to be safe at sea.

With the summer weather and with the fast approach of Cowes Week when we suffer a huge increase in our yachting friends I thought I would give you a quote from a mate of mine a couple of years back when he crewed Yarmouth ILB.

"I am bloody sick to death of pulling people out of the water who's idea of safety equipment is Timberland deck shoes and gucci sunglasses.........." :blink:

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

RNLI offer a free sea safety check. You can book online. the site is here

http://www.rnliseasafety.org.uk/leisure/seacheck

this is from that site. IMO those that are not anxious before going to sea underestimate it. Good luck and good on you for enquiring about this subject.

"Boating should be fun. Every year our lifeboats respond to thousands of incidents, many of which could have been prevented with simple safety precautions. Even the most experienced seafarers should prepare for the worst.

The RNLI can help make your boat as safe as possible – you owe it to yourself and your crew.

Book a SEA Check online today

The RNLI would like to offer you a completely free, friendly and confidential service that looks at safety aspects involved with your boat. SEA Check is neither a test nor an inspection and there is no pass or fail. Conducted by one of our highly trained volunteers SEA Check is a personal face-to-face safety advice service that takes place on board your own craft. You set the time and we tailor our visit to your vessel and the type of boating that you do. "

http://www.rnliseasafety.org.uk/leisure/seacheck

Inboard diesel faults - I've had an alternator belt go on me. The engine has dual belts, and I only noticed because the rev counter stopped working as the remaining belt didn't have enough grip to turn the pulleys.

Diesel faults are normally fuel or impellor related - so carry a spare impellor, and spare fuel filters. Probably your best defence against fuel issues is to keep the tank topped up to avoid condensation, and use the boat regularly. You never hear of commercial boats getting diesel bug, but you do hear of cabin cruisers that only go out 10 times a year getting it. The only other essential is a good battery to start the thing, once you're started you should be fine.

As I have an inboard diesel I don't have an auxiliary or spare fuel. If I break down I simply intend to anchor and await help. I do carry two long oars to fend off rocks if I'm close in when I break down, or to turn the boat to go through overfalls bow on. If you intend to fish in an area with a lot of commercial shipping then a DSC radio will be very useful, as big boats tend not to listen to ch16, but have to have DSC. Good luck, and start browsing www.findafishingboat.co.uk !

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

A lot of usefull advice posted here. :sun:

One problem I have often faced as a small boat user is keeping things dry, particularly tools. I use good quality tools for work and find it annoying when they go rusty. So i bought a cheepish plastic folding box of tools from Machine mart. Layed a length of line inside the box, sprayed them with wd40 and sealed all round with silicone sealant. that way water never gets in and so the tools are in good condition if needed in emergency. If required you pull the line to cut the sealant open an you have a emergency tool kit that isnt all rusted solid. After use you just need to peel off the silicone and reseal the box for later use. Cheep and effective.

Norrie...what did that course cost?.And is it really worthwhile.I have been thinking of doing the same thing.

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org