Dads fishing with their kids.

Steve Coppolo

I still fish with my Dad, even If he does drive me nuts :wallbash:

Took my nephew crabbing the other day, he's 2, was being a bit adventurous I think, he was everywhere, will take a length of rope next time and tie him to the railings ;)

Scott

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

Good post Steve, it strikes a cord with me because, I was brought up in an angling environment, going with my dad from age about four. If I was allowed to go when he was fishing he was fishing a match, I was tethered so that I couldn't fall in (sounds cruel but not really :) ). I would sit and watch and learn on those days, as well as our fishing days. I would help him sort his tackle and bait if I couldn't go myself. Sadly my father died when I was 10 after a long illness, but I used his tackle for many years and into my teens, this made me feel that he was there with me. My own son has no interest in angling at all, he's 25 now so there's not much hope that it will change. I've never imposed angling on him, just hoped that he would take an interest one day.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Good post Steve, it strikes a cord with me because, I was brought up in an angling environment, going with my dad from age about four. If I was allowed to go when he was fishing he was fishing a match, I was tethered so that I couldn't fall in (sounds cruel but not really :) ). I would sit and watch and learn on those days, as well as our fishing days. I would help him sort his tackle and bait if I couldn't go myself. Sadly my father died when I was 10 after a long illness, but I used his tackle for many years and into my teens, this made me feel that he was there with me. My own son has no interest in angling at all, he's 25 now so there's not much hope that it will change. I've never imposed angling on him, just hoped that he would take an interest one day.

I do 99% of my fishing with my dad, he was the person that got me into it and I'm hugely thankful for that. He's good company as well.

flattie

Father, son and fishing go hand in hand, mate. It's the best thing we can do together as men and boys. Enjoy it and tell us all about it.

My little daughter wants to go fishing with me. She tells me almost every day. She wants to come on my boat and catch fish whilst I 'drive'

Take your Daughter with you Mine has been fishing with me since she was 5 .

she is now 17 and went on a 36 hour charter with John Brennan in the north sea in April

She did have a serious case of mal de mare on the way out

but was catching fish during the next day and i hasten to add she did catch more and bigger cod than I did

during the afternoon she was on deck while we moved to the next wreck eating an ice cream on a freezing cold day wearing neopren gloves those sort of moments are priceless

She is now waiting for the next one next year but has pointed out the need of a two piece floatation suit opposed to a single piece suit it seems there is some difficulty with the loo !!!

ahh well guess its down to bank of mum and dad

she also helped with the making of pirk's and traces prior to the trip

Dads', this thread makes me remember my dear Father . . . 'a cunry boyy, he wass'. I remember him and his brother, and me, 'young'un', creeping around the local farmers fields. Les and Dad, with pockets of nets, a squirming ferret and plenty of freshly caught rabbits to hand around the street when we got home. Just after the war it was, the farmers new it went on, but turned a blind eye, just dont be to obvious. Farmer 'Artop' even allowed a certain amount of rough shooting for rabbits, he got a bit umpty when the odd pheasant jumped in the way, but Dad preferred the ferret, quiet, exciting and no pellets to spit out! Give me a ferret and a handful of nets and I'm sure I could still do it.

But this was not the life he wanted for me, a hobby, a proper hobby? Fishing, thats a country pass time, but he new nothing about fishing, past a bent pin, a length of button thread and a hazel wand cut from the hedge. And thats how I started, 'Tom Sawyer' style when I was about 4. The stream feed pond at the bottom of our road that I used to fish is still there.

Dad bought a copy of Mr Crabtree, written by Bernard Venables, yea, Mr Creabtree and Peter his son. Dad taught me, and himself, the fundamentals of fishing with that book, he bought me proper tackle, encouraged me, took me to Bedford to fish the Ouse, it runs through the town. In those days, full of bleek, dace and roach, heaven for a young'un, probably plenty of other species, but, by that time, at 6 or 7, I was only interested in quantity.

From those early days, until his death in 2000, he was ever full of encouragement, support, I was a bit brasic around 16-17, found girls a lot more interesting than fish, put the fishing tackle up for sale! He bought it, I finally came to my senses, he gave it back, good old Dad. Since 1990 one has regularly written for various magazines including sea angling publication. Dad was there, offering help, his grasp of the English language was amazing. He always proof read my work, helping with my dyslexia, yet he never changed my grammar, "thats your style son" he would say, grateful for that advise, never had an article changed because of my grammar, some times a bit long, lol, so they have chopped them about a bit!

. . . From day one until his death from Cancer, he never actually whetted a fishing line . . . he understood what to do, as a 'couty boyy' I suppose it was in the gens? He was happy simply to see me happy, never forgot that, 'happy to see others happy', content with the simple things in life. I enjoy my fishing, bleek bashing, not don that for 50 years, but I still remember it fondly. Then there was a couple of weeks ago when I boated a 36lb tope, to be fair, I think I got more pleasure from the bleeK?

I have to say thanks to my Dad, for giving me so much pleasure with a hobby that has lasted so long :fishing1:

CJS2, Cliff Stone

PS, the 36 pounder mentioned above, sorry no pics of the 'bleek bashing days' B)

toperw.jpg

Edited by CJS2

Guest Jan of the 2 Ghillies

Let's not forget that Mum's can teach a child to fish, as well. Based on the thread regarding Liam's nice catch (on the coarse fishing forum), I would say Lyn is an excellent mentor for him.

nice fish Cliff!!

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!