Eel Traps

Elton

Cheers Budgie :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also read some stuff about returning adult eels staying off shore and not entering the rivers.I was always under the impression that the adults didnt return after spawning? So not sure what that was all about? Anyone else through some light on that?

I believe that's correct - I've never heard of the adults coming back. I wonder if they meant that some larvae stay in coastal waters until maturity and never enter the rivers?

I've never ever heard of eels returning from there spawning grounds. Its true that not all eels enter the river systems, its usually the males that stay around the coastal regions while the females run into the mainland.

The reason why the eel is in decline, is because of there returning numbers from the Sargasso sea.

The migration of eels to the European shores, as catastrophically dropped from the early eighties by about 90% of today's retuning numbers of elvers.

Just because you can have some waters with a present healthy stock of eels doesn't mean there is no overall shortage of eels, the sad fact is less and less are coming back to our shores.

the sad fact is less and less are coming back to our shores.

I bet it's all those bloody French carp blockading the entrances to our rivers. :D

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John