Bad boats

Guest muttley

That certainly looks, and sounds, like a tidy boat you've got there.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the funniest one I saw was in Boat fishing Monthly and was done by a certain Mr Stone. (Remember this one Cliff? :clap: ) It was for a little polyethylene raft with a chair stuck on top. Looked very, very dodgy to me. :boat::oops::help:

I certainly do! :o I did the commissioned 'appraisal' (thats the best description I can come up with) in the sheltered confines of my lock controlled marina, and that was about its limit, that chair arrangement was dodgy. My recommendation to BFM, it should not be printed! However the importers said publish and be damned!!! which I think they probably were :huh: A poor judgement on all parties concerned. Its best point was surviving being riped off the car roof rack type transport and bouncing down the A14 at 60mph unscathed! :P

I certainly do! :o I did the commissioned 'appraisal' (thats the best description I can come up with) in the sheltered confines of my lock controlled marina, and that was about its limit, that chair arrangement was dodgy. My recommendation to BFM, it should not be printed! However the importers said publish and be damned!!! which I think they probably were :huh: A poor judgement on all parties concerned. Its best point was surviving being riped off the car roof rack type transport and bouncing down the A14 at 60mph unscathed! :P

:clap2: I don't suppose a £1,000 + for advertising ever comes to the minds of the publishers when reviewing an item? It does with me because we rely totally on advertising as there is no purchase price profit but the review is exactly the same whether there's an advert or not, we are not influenced by the thought of an advert. The only reason you don't see a "bad review" in the SAN is because we give the supplier of the product the option to not have the review printed if they don't like it. We have to do this because we wouldn't get anything to review if we didn't, because they know we're not influenced by the advertising revenue, we're, independant. :D

That's a nice machine Kirkwall. A friend of mine went to their factory many years ago and although he liked the boats he wasn't impressed with the laminating environment so chose to go elsewhere. Have they improved the laminating conditions? What will she do flat out, most of the ones I've seen have 200's in them.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

That's a nice machine Kirkwall. A friend of mine went to their factory many years ago and although he liked the boats he wasn't impressed with the laminating environment so chose to go elsewhere. Have they improved the laminating conditions? What will she do flat out, most of the ones I've seen have 200's in them.

There were newish buildings when we were there and it looked ok to us.

Have been to 35 knots on plotter and that was fast enough! to be honest have not tried flat out, ie boat running on fumes and all spare equipment removed. I'm sure you can appreciate you have to be extremely careful at speeds over 25 knots, if and when you get the weather conditions that will allow it.

The main reason we went for the bigger engine was not to compromise performance, especially when there is 4 adults and all the extra gear the take along.

The past 3 or 4 years have been very traumatic for me, loved ones and personal health problems and work (or the lack of it!) playing a major roll! Boats and my love of them has taken an equally major hit :huh: At 60, one is finding that the attraction of tramping 30-40 miles off shore at 20 knots is loosing . . .??? . . has lost its attraction. The amount of times I would want to go is dictated by weather, as one would expect. However, what has become 'painfully!!!' obvious, the young'(er) bloods see a F4, wind against tide at some time during the trip as OK <_< The number of times this year, in my humble opinion, I would or could and did go, was once, weather was very good, however the bass banks were churning up the sea, not so bad I suppose but it took the pleasure out of it for me :mellow:

So, with all this in mind, and semi retirement on the horizon, I have made the conscious decision to ease down, sell my much cherished and recently aquired Sea Warrior, use some of the funds to make preparation for the future.

The first consideration was running costs, ie, marina fees, fuel (diesel will be £1 a litre next year?) maintenance, and practicality on the social and domestic front, all this against speed!!! :o Speed can be very expensive in the 22ft-25ft market.

As I say, a long hard look with cash in my pocket :headhurt: nearly drove me to distraction, there are some over priced dogs out there!! My final criteria came down to bottom fishing in the winter in comfort :D . . . = cup'a tea, soup, hot pies and a floating picnic table in the summer with my partner Hazel, plus a few bass as we relax quietly in the local river estuary, speed? leave that to the youn'uns.

A 12 mile radius from Langard Point, which takes in the Wallet, Sunk, Towers, Shipwash, Whiting and Bawdsey banks, is well within my preferred 10 knots cruise. I looked from 25knots to 8knots, from 1966 to 2004, the head was hurting. It nearly came to an Arvor 230 with a 130 Nanni, problem is, this is to be my last boat, the longevity of these modern craft and the fact we are talking quite a lot of dosh for a 'fishing boat!'.

Finally came up with . . .

1BowIMG_0393.jpg

2CockpitIMG_0395.jpg

A modern classic, Mitchell 22 MkII, circa 2000/1. The MkII Mitchell 22 is like 'rocking horse s***t' to get hold of, built to work boat standards, a factory finished example, using all the fitting normally found on the 31, and the build standards are the same, teak, quality ply, every thing fits in a hand built way, sometimes a little quirky :lol:

I have some work to do, as in her previous life she was 'just used'! But with a little TLC, a few '£' spent she will sparkle as her name 'Little Gem' suggests. All in all, she will have cost me less than a well equipped Warrior 175, considerably less than the Arvor 230's I was looking at. Packed with quality electronics, best fittings, full of strength and character, she will probably see me to the end of my boating/fishing life?

The above is the other side of the private fishing boat story, a very personall choice. To me it is more than a fishing boat, it is a floating caravan, a house extension, something to cherish, enjoy and share, part of me :P

SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

[Rest of quote removed - we've seen the photo's already so don't really need to download them again, John S]

The above is the other side of the private fishing boat story, a very personally choice. To me it is more than a fishing boat, it is a floating caravan, a house extension, something to cherish, enjoy and share, part of me :P

SW

:clap2: Here, here, that makes a lot of sense to me. Me, I'll book the odd charter or a space on a mates boat if I'm lucky, otherwise I'll just go shore fishing. :clap2:

:clap2: Here, here, that makes a lot of sense to me. Me, I'll book the odd charter or a space on a mates boat if I'm lucky, otherwise I'll just go shore fishing. :clap2:

Trouble is 'Norm', fact and reality ain't so exciting . . . . 'Peddle to the metal' much more to capture the imagination . . . . the antics to catch 'big fish' is going to catch someone out sooner or later, probably sooner??? Already had the life boat out a couple of times recently!!!

I find it sad that we cant enjoy our boats for what they are, instead of chasing a dream. In fact I started to chase the dream and discovered, that is all it is, a 'will of the wisp'. Reality; 20 something feet boat dead in the water 35-40 miles off shore, weather breaking wind rising, how do you get back? Even if not disabled, these hi-speed 'small' craft ain't so hi-speed in heavy seas with 30 + miles to travel. I have seen some of the crews on their return, they behave as though drunk :nono:

This thread started as 'bad boats', every boat is potentially a 'bad boat' in bad conditions and no power, a 5hp auxiliary wont help much! Up till now, those in my area that have failed at sea have done so in good conditions. They got away with it, that includes me, my steering failed 35 miles out, good conditions, an emergency tiller and a 'very good, no panic' crew member were my saviours. I could relate a number of other 'nearly' stories this year, besides the two 'life boat' call outs. We are pushing these 'just about craft' that rely on speed to get out and in as a safety factor. One day soon we are going to see headlines . . . 'SMALL BOAT and CREW LOST . . . . '

What happened to proper, old fashioned sea boats? sobering thoughts, SW

Edited by Sutton Warrior

Trouble is 'Norm', fact and reality ain't so exciting . . . . 'Peddle to the metal' much more to capture the imagination . . . . the antics to catch 'big fish' is going to catch someone out sooner or later, probably sooner??? Already had the life boat out a couple of times recently!!!

I find it sad that we cant enjoy our boats for what they are, instead of chasing a dream. In fact I started to chase the dream and discovered, that is all it is, a 'will of the wisp'. Reality; 20 something feet boat dead in the water 35-40 miles off shore, weather breaking wind rising, how do you get back? Even if not disabled, these hi-speed 'small' craft ain't so hi-speed in heavy seas with 30 + miles to travel. I have seen some of the crews on their return, they behave as though drunk :nono:

This thread started as 'bad boats', every boat is potentially a 'bad boat' in bad conditions and no power, a 5hp auxiliary wont help much! Up till now, those in my area that have failed at sea have done so in good conditions. They got away with it, that includes me, my steering failed 35 miles out, good conditions, an emergency tiller and a 'very good, no panic' crew member were my saviours. I could relate a number of other 'nearly' stories this year, besides the two 'life boat' call outs. We are pushing these 'just about craft' that rely on speed to get out and in as a safety factor. One day soon we are going to see headlines . . . 'SMALL BOAT and CREW LOST . . . . '

It has happened a couple of times here already and not that far off shore, small boats fishing marks which were well beyond the boats capability, both were swamped two lost of one boat and a young lad off the other.

No fish is worth a life, safe boating is a must at all times, floatation suits etc are ok but in cold water you don't last very long.

Far better to stay dry and safe.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

:clap2: You are preaching to the converted here. I won't go into details but I had a 17ft boat with a 45HP Mercury outboard, went out one night congering, good weaather and forcast but I am lucky to be alive today, my 2 mates who were with me are both dead, through other reasons I add but it made me very philosophical about life and it has changed the way I do things forever. :(