Wales Welcomes Anglers - Or do They?

Leon Roskilly

Welsh authorities have realised just how much Recreational Angling is worth to the Economy of Wales, and they are promoting Angling in Wales aggresively

With nearly 750 miles of varied coastline Wales has something to offer any sea angler whatever his or her chosen quarry. Exploring the rocky, kelp-strewn shores of the Llyn Peninsular searching for pollack, wading amongst the dramatic rolling surf of Atlantic storm beaches in expectation of that arm wrenching take from a bass, braving a frosty morning aboard a cod seeking charter vessel, just take your pick.
http://www.fishing.visitwales.com/index.asp

But some Welsh people have a more short-sighted view, and are prepared to be more aggressive still

ALLEGED anti-English threats - including one to burn down a home - has seen organisers cancel a major charity fishing event on Anglesey.

Organiser Ian Houlton and a committee of keen anglers had hoped to attract hundreds of fishermen and spectators to the Rhosneigr Fishathon and collect thousands of pounds for Gwynedd Hospice at Home and the RNLI.

But the committee has now pulled the plug on the event after allegations that threats were made against organisers.

http://icnorthwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/r...-name_page.html

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Once again a very very small number of people rule the majorities lives by issuing threats of violence.

I have lived in Wales for over twenty years and have been made most welcomed.

It is sad to see the vast majority of welsh people having to live with this kind of nonsense.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

I am born and bred in Wales and like Ken says of the vast majority, sickened by the acts of the few. I have lived in London and Bristol over the years and never had any problem unlike friends (and current Wife) who come here. But it is just a few big mouths and not representative of all. That is why Plaid Cymru will never be a major party in Wales. They are seen as attractors to this kind of behaviour and people. Not intended I'm sure but the majority will never support them because of the recent history of sign daubing, arson attacks and so on that are linked by association. As offensive to most Welsh people as anyone else.

If it's any consolation it isn't only outsiders who get targeted, wrong regional Welsh dialect (English-only- speaking City slickers :blink: ) and it can be even worse. The half-wits are a minority so I wouldn't worry too much. There is a welcome here for all.

The majority of Welsh are perfectly OK but there are a handful of complete prats in the north, especially Anglesey and the Llyn peninsula. These are people who blocked a massive marina development, that would generate many jobs and bring in millions to their local economy on the grounds that having boats with rich English on them (there presumably being no rich Welsh) would "dilute the Welsh language". The same people then moan when the locals have to move to England to get a job and the English buy their empty houses because they couldn't find somewhere to moor their yachts!

I have some very good friends on Anglesey, some I have not met, only on the Internet.

To say they are racially prejudiced against any other nationals would be totally wrong.

I’ve been made welcome and even offered the comfort of their homes, when visiting the Isle.

I’ve found, through E Mails & PMs that there are bastions of nationalism, but these are a minority. Noggin the Nog comes to mind. :2:

There are Coastal areas of England that do not like anglers, from other parts, fishing their waters. These narrow minded minority need to be left to wallow in their own mire.

Overall, on my fishing adventures, I’ve found the vast majority of locals to the areas I’m fishing, will go out of their way to help, when I’ve needed it.

Cheers 4 Now

John E

ANBanna.gif

This has nothing to do with wales other than it happened there. There are K--b heads everywhere around the world - Unfortunately this one lives in Wales. My favourite holiday destination as a kid was caernaven - really great fishing and people I remember.

Edited by glennk

This welsh site would suggest Wales does welcome anglers!!

http://www.anglerswelcome.com

Wales welcomes anglers

As already stated a few spoil it for the rest, I am welsh and any nationality are welcome to fish in wales as far as I am concerned.

www.aberporthholidays.co.uk

Regular launch: Aberporth West Wales.

Yak: Malibu II XL

the minority always spoil it for the majority, the only way forward is for the majority to get just as vocal as the minority. Take for example what has happened to English football fans, the minority caused trouble and tarnished all fans with the same brush but the majority have stood up and pointed out offenders to the authorities rather than keeping quiet. this is the only way to deal with narrow minded biggots.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

My take on this is this. I met Ian and gave him several items for the fish in. I took him to be a perfectly honest bloke. He also told me that the same AM he had been PHYSICALLY threatened whilst visiting a tackle shop on Anglesea. He was ASKED to vacate the shop by the owner and did so. And I can tell you if I WAS WELSH and lived on ANGLESEA I would be BLOODY ASHAMED!!!!

If ANY of this is true (And again i have absolutely NO reason to say otherwise!) In fact I totally believe it!! I for one would LOVE to meet some of these so called "Anglers"

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))