Can commercial fishermen and sea anglers work together?

Ian Burrett

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell the commercials :rolleyes:

This is the attitude i'm talking about, its very easy to blame one another and not listen to what the other side has to say, both side have made mistakes, neither side has the monopoly on knowledge.they should listen to each others arguments and work on a mutually beneficial solution.remember with the commercials it is their livelyhood your talking about and they have a lot more to lose than your average angler this makes them very passionate about their views and rightly so,how many anglers would be happy if somebody from outside of their chosen trade (whatever that maybe) decided to push for regulations that would intially cause a large decrease in their wages and/or a loss of jobs! not many i think no matter what the long term advantages.however this obviously can also make them short sighted to the long term prospects and overall view of things this is why as i say both sides need to compromise and learn to work together.extremist one sided attitudes will only eventually lead to the demise or over regulation all, believe it this will happen.

This is the attitude i'm talking about, its very easy to blame one another and not listen to what the other side has to say, both side have made mistakes, neither side has the monopoly on knowledge.they should listen to each others arguments and work on a mutually beneficial solution.remember with the commercials it is their livelyhood your talking about and they have a lot more to lose than your average angler this makes them very passionate about their views and rightly so,how many anglers would be happy if somebody from outside of their chosen trade (whatever that maybe) decided to push for regulations that would intially cause a large decrease in their wages and/or a loss of jobs! not many i think no matter what the long term advantages.however this obviously can also make them short sighted to the long term prospects and overall view of things this is why as i say both sides need to compromise and learn to work together.extremist one sided attitudes will only eventually lead to the demise or over regulation all, believe it this will happen.

hi snakey

really good post, spot on, lets prove if you are right or wrong.

if the commercial fishermen backed the BMP from it's conception it would have passed through as written because the two sectors worked together on it

if ben bradshaw grossly waters down the BMP then it can be said that by not working together will produce poor results well depending on your veiwpoint. so the result will be interesting

regards steve

I totally agree. I am relatively new to the commercial fishing industry and recently spent a week at our place on Pembrokshire dock dealing with local day boat fishermen and cracking quality fish. My big problem was that there were on average 3 beamers landing every day, loading straight onto an arctic and heading straight to the continent. My understanding is that they are all foreign owned boats but liscenced to the local port so the boat owner could sell the fish (caught in our water) to whoever he wanted.

I need good quality fish and I do not see the point of it landing in Milford, being exported to france and then me importing it again three days later.

Can you not sell your fish to me?

Please get in touch, look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Darren

hi darren

yes you are right a very large % of the uk fish goes to the eu and they then export back the rubbish fish to the uk .

i catch bass mostly very high quality and it is well sought after. thing is i can not satifsy the demand for it, i do not think you would like to pay the price that i get for it, i also catch dover soles this time of year and catch native oysters in the winter

are you a registered buyer and seller

regards steve

The RSA organisations are currently working with other stakeholders, including representatives of fishermen's organisations on producing a strategy for the development of Recreational Sea Angling within the UK.

The strategy is being taken forward by DEFRA and stakeholders through a sub group of the Inshore Working Group of the DEFRA Marine Stakeholders Forum.

Another Forum where the catching sector and anglers are coming together with other stakeholders to plan their mutual future is through the Invest in Fish workshops down in the South West.

(see: http://www.investinfishsw.org.uk )

And of course, anglers are working with the catching sector on Sea Fisheries Committees and on Regional Advosory Councils.

Discussions are not always easy, sometimes both sides need to come to difficult compromises, but progress can be made.

The problems arise where one side or the other is over-represented and insists on having it's own way.

But although that might seem to produce an immediate 'victory', the unfairness is apparent, and eventually leads to a weakening of strength of those inclined to throw their weight around, and that lesson is slowly being learned.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

hi snakey

really good post, spot on, lets prove if you are right or wrong.

if the commercial fishermen backed the BMP from it's conception it would have passed through as written because the two sectors worked together on it

if ben bradshaw grossly waters down the BMP then it can be said that by not working together will produce poor results well depending on your veiwpoint. so the result will be interesting

regards steve

steve

as a commercial bass fisherman what is so fundamentally wrong with tha BMP that commercials could not back it????

If i remember right it was bigger and more bass for both RSAs and commercial fishermen!!!!

If we had both backed it your right it would have sailed through no probs

kind regards

BRY

steve

as a commercial bass fisherman what is so fundamentally wrong with tha BMP that commercials could not back it????

If i remember right it was bigger and more bass for both RSAs and commercial fishermen!!!!

If we had both backed it your right it would have sailed through no probs

kind regards

BRY

Hello Solwaysilver

It is only directed at UK fishermen,and a bit of compensation to tide us over for a couple of years might have helped.

I fish to live and live to fish.

One of the basic laws re commercial fisheries is that management producing smaller and smaller fish are more welcomed and accepted by fishermen than are measures put in place to grow fish bigger and bigger.

One of the strange things with this sector is that it seems impossible for it to invest and pursue it's own long term interests with money from its own pocket only. It's an easy thing to claim that you are all in favour of sustainable fisheries when the bill is sent somewhere else. <_<

But bass are already sustainable. We invest in boats and fishing gear from our own pockets, you want bigger bass you pay for it, it would be possible from the licence fee revenue.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Solwaysilver

It is only directed at UK fishermen,and a bit of compensation to tide us over for a couple of years might have helped.

Hello wurzel

why do you need compensation to tide us over for a couple of years when

QUOTE from MikeC on June 18th 2006 Well done tescos

bass are plentifuland are increasing in size.I can prove that look at my bank balance and my car!!!!!

He obviously fishes in a different area to you where bass are superplentiful.

kind regards

BRY

But bass are already sustainable. We invest in boats and fishing gear from our own pockets, you want bigger bass you pay for it, it would be possible from the licence fee revenue.

The oft quoted advice from ICES that the 'bass fishery is sustainable' is heavily caveated, and is also accompanied by the recommendation that effort be capped at pre-2002 levels, which it hasn't been.

If it was sustainable, why then is the EU considering TACs for the species and making it a pressure stock?

According to the Drew report RSA spends £538 million per year, that's nearly £100 million on VAT.

440,000 bass anglers spend £10million

They also invest a lot in boats and fishing gear.

But it's the potential increased value possible from the development of the inshore recreational sector that is mind-blowing (the modellers working with the Invest in Fish project thought that there was a fault in their modelling until it was pointed out that kind of growth had actually been achieve when similiar measures had been taken overseas!)

More and bigger fish for RSA means increased quality of life and sense of well being for some £2 million people, many more if the sector is developed properly. More business opportunities and more livelihoods created in the sector that services the needs of the RSA sector, including boat-building, charter skippers, tackle shops, bait suppliers, as well as within the general coastal leisure and tourism sector.

(Following the recovery of the USA Recreational Striped Bass Fishery between 1981 and 1996 the consequential expenditure increased from $85 million to $560 million over the same period by anglers fishing for striped bass).

Can the catching sector offer anything like the same prospects for growth?

How much does the inshore catching sector contribute to the management of bass?

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust