Any news yet?

Steve Coppolo

Well, they aren't in on overtime this weekend, so there can't be any urgent jobs to finish. I'll try again on Monday.

"What can be wrong? What can be wrong? What can be wrong? What can be wrong?"

Hi Steve

"What can be wrong? What can be wrong? What can be wrong? What can be wrong?"

Word is Joe Borg the E U fisheries Commissioner told Ben Bradshaw to slow track the BMP maybe got something to do with thinking on pressure stock and TAC'S

regards steve

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Word is that they are trying to get the net mesh sizes right for the new mls.

(SWSFC pointed out that their research showed that 115cm was needed to target over 45cm bass, CEFAS 105-110cm. Then there is the implications of increased mesh sizes on non bass fisheries etc - getting the new mls right was the easy part!)

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Steve how to you feel about bass becoming a pressure stock?

Do you think that most of the quota will be taken by pair teams working in the autunm and winter on migrateing or breading fish leaving very little for the UK inshore commercial fishermen?

Some would say stuff the inshore fishermen, but I feel this could be short sighted as if they are migrating or breading fish then they would be the same fish that the inshore fishermen would be targeting in normal summer months, and a dead fish is a dead fish.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Word is that they are trying to get the net mesh sizes right for the new mls.

(SWSFC pointed out that their research showed that 115cm was needed to target over 45cm bass, CEFAS 105-110cm. Then there is the implications of increased mesh sizes on non bass fisheries etc - getting the new mls right was the easy part!)

Leon, like me you were brought up with inches and feet, I think you are confusing cm with mm.

"I fish therefore I am"

quote/Steve how to you feel about bass becoming a pressure stock?

Do you think that most of the quota will be taken by pair teams working in the autunm and winter on migrateing or breading fish leaving very little for the UK inshore commercial fishermen?

Some would say stuff the inshore fishermen, but I feel this could be short sighted as if they are migrating or breading fish then they would be the same fish that the inshore fishermen would be targeting in normal summer months, and a dead fish is a dead fish.

Hi Sam-Cox

quote/Steve how to you feel about bass becoming a pressure stock?

This is really bad news for the under 10 mtr boats. If it happens the French will end up with about 90% of the TAC (quota) The uk will get the other 10%. If the mls in the uk goes up to 45 cm as well then the French will be even more better off

All bass migrate to deeper water for the winter eg:- outside the 6 mile limit where the french will catch them in single boat bottom trawls and bottom and midwater pair trawls. The only winners will be the French, UK commercials and anglers will be the losers by a long way

The most affective way to conserve and protect the bass fishery would be to BAN bottom and midwater pair trawling, and to close the bass fishery between January and March.

Just transfering the rights of catching bass from uk fishermen to French fishermen is NOT going to do anything at all to conserve bass stocks, in fact the rerevse will happen. Do the French stick to there quotas? and are there policeing as good as ours.? UK fishermen will do the same as the cod fishermen that is keep all the bass on the boat at the end of the day pick out all the big ones (highest price ones) then throw back the rest which of coarse is dead

regards steve

Its all verry frightening, if what you surgest is correct it could mean that not only Uk boats missing out, but from an anglers point of veiw all the hard work done by the BASS RESTORATION TEAM would be a complete and utter wast of time !!!!!!

Edited by sam-cox

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

According to research results posted by Leon on this thread UK bass stocks remain within our six mile limits.

I have done a bit of searching around and that does appear to be the overal opinion of marine reseachers.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Just phoned DEFRA. Chose option one, then option five and asked to be put through to the Coastal waters policy branch. When asked, I said that I wanted to know what the hold up was with the announcement of the new bass MLS. I was put on hold for a short while, then told that the two people who may be able to help me weren't answering their phones.

The girl on the switchboard was very helpful and gave me the switchboard number and the names of the two people I needed to speak to. The number is 0207 238 6000, and I need to speak to Nicola Clarke or Anthony Hines. I'll try again later.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

Just spoke to DEFRA. The girl I spoke to was Anthony Hines' assistant and she was very friendly. This is roughly what was said.

"There will be an announcement made very soon" Said the girl. "We've been hearing that for a long time", I said. "Yes I know, but it really should be soon now", she says. "What's the hold up?", I asked. "I can't say", she said, "but before these things are announced we have to look at all the implications. It's a very emotive subject and the minister has to be absolutely sure before he makes his announcement. He has to make sure he has all the information and then he has to make his decision". "But we were told he had that information last week and had already made his decision" I said. "Well I don't know where that information came from, but that's not the case" She says. "So there will be an announcement this week then?" I asked. "I can't commit the minister to that, but it should be very soon. Keep your eyes peeled" She said.

So there you go, there will be an announcement soon! Ha ha!

:bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163:

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.