Am I asking too much from a reel

arthurcodsbody

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ive got a 7000c synchro which is one of my fave reels. Ive removed the levelwind and leave 2 brake blocks in it and it casts like a dream. good thing is it is also a perfect reel for the boat and shore, the synchro drag means if i get snagged when drifting i can quickly loosen the line tension without fiddling with a star drag or trying to put my finger on the lever drag. and you could get one a darn sight cheaper than a 7000c4ld. it all depends if you are insistent on the level wind. if you are then any of the newer abus would be fine

Hiya, I have one, but have only heard one report about their reliability...so, cant really answer that one....to be honest, I'm not a great fan of newer Abus.....

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

@SUMMER@:

Cant think of one but: (1)loose the mag brakes which really are not necassery for fishing purposes and : (2) Ditch the level wind (it will take you all of half an hour to learn to use a reel without one), and then you have the choice of some truely fantastic reels.

So what youre saying is keep with what ive got!

Shaun, youre right about the 525GS I have no bother at all with the Abu6500 its always the Penn that either birdnest or cracks off

women love me, fish fear me!!

http://www.alba-rods.co.uk

Riverside Tackle SAC

I had a 535gs and it was a bloody nightmare! :mad:

I had costant problems casting with it even though i can cast all my other reels, one of which is bigger than the gs.

I looked after it after every trip and it still played up.

Then it started a kind of rattling on the retrieve, but whenever i took it into the shop it wouldn't rattle! :mad:

In the end i got shot and bought a SL30SH (the older of the two models) and i couldn't be happier. Often it is better to cast than my normal reels. I can really recommend it mate.

Guest jay_con

arthurcodsbody:

arthurcodsbody:

Cant think of one but: (1)loose the mag brakes which really are not necassery for fishing purposes and : (2) Ditch the level wind (it will take you all of half an hour to learn to use a reel without one), and then you have the choice of some truely fantastic reels.

So what youre saying is keep with what ive got!

Shaun, youre right about the 525GS I have no bother at all with the Abu6500 its always the Penn that either birdnest or cracks off

Thats exactly what im suggesting m8. If I can manage these reels then anyone can. Get some thicker oil in that 525 and see what happens (have you got the correct brakes fitted and the end tention set right?). Fishing without a level wind really is not that difficult (my young lad can manage ok) and mag breaks are really just a gadget rather than any great benefit to a fisherman, If your just a caster then perhaps they may be a handy gadget to have, but for fishing they aint necassery. I have lots of reels mostly 7000 size and have no problems whatsoever.

Hiya, I've never owned a Penn casting reel, looked at them, tried a few mates reels occasionally on the beach, (and BTW I'm no expert) but cant see what all the fuss about them is, I (imho) dont really think they are all that good ....not a patch on a Daiwa..straight out of the box...superb.....NEVER had a problem with a Daiwa.. :D:D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

As much as i like the Daiwa slosh reels.... Credit where credit is due, the 525 mags are fool proof, and indistructable!!! 3 hard years totaly abusing mine yanking fish from all diffrent ground, and it still casts sweet as a nut... Just had to change the magnets one time after they rusted on me. Besides that, a real work-horse!

[ 24. August 2005, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: Spur-Hound ]

Tight Lines

Shaun

Spur-Hound:

As much as i like the Daiwa slosh reels.... Credit where credit is due, the 525 mags are fool proof, and indistructable!!! 3 hard years totaly abusing mine yanking fish from all diffrent ground, and it still casts sweet as a nut... Just had to change the magnets one time after they rusted on me. Besides that, a real work-horse!

:cool: I know this may be a bit of lateral thinking but how about a Shimano Charter Special. They do 2 sizes, the 1000 and 2000. They are designed for uptiding, are graphite, have brakes, a lever drag and a level wind. You're not going to set a casting record with them but they seem to fit the descrption for what you want, and they are under £100. IMHO they are worth a look at least. :D