HELP FOR BEGINNER?

Janet

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello and welcome to the mad world of angling.

Dont know the particular canal your fishing but if your after tiddlers keep it simple

single maggot on size 20 hook just touching bottom of the canal, dot the float down so you can just see it and throw in half a dozen maggots every cast or cpl of minutes which evers sooner if you use any groundbait try and avoid blends with lots of food content , things like carp or method groundbaits a roach or match blend would be better. throw in a ball about the size of a small egg every 15 mins .

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

OI OI,

i was a little concern when she said there are trout & salmon in the river eer i think someone should point out the difference in fishing licence's after all we dont want her nicked for poaching now do we.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

It's OK - they are brown trout, so my licence covers me. The salmon, unfortunately, are a bit of a freak occurrence. We've heard of a 14lb one, and someone saw one trying to jump up the weir, but they are very, very rare, and it's highly unlikely that I'll even see one, never mind catch one!

Janet

PS. Thanks for trying to keep me on the straight and narrow!

Hi Janet, I learnt to fish on the leeds to liverpool near bingley.

at this time of year, if you're getting nothing on the bottom it may be because the fish are not feeding due to the weather being so hot, often, however, they are feeding occasionally but not on the bottom.

throw a couple of slices of bread in, broken into bits, and let them drift about, if they start being bothered by fish (and not ducks), it can be a good idea to set your float shallower, moving it 6 inches nearer the hook every cast, and trying a small piece of fresh bread pinched onto the hook.

Early morning and evenings will get you more fish as the fish are more active at these times.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Well, it looks like the weather isn't going to be too great. Last time I went out it was horizontal driving rain.

Are there different techniques I should use for fishing in the rain? I'm hoping it's going to stick with this light drizzle, and not get too heavy again.

Well, I'm actually hoping it's going to be dry, but I'll settle for this!

Janet

Janet, I hope you are not confused with this "fish on the bottom" etc.

When you were supplied with kit, did they give you a plummet - a lead bell shaped thing with a ring at the top and some cork on the bottom. The idea is that you thread your hook and line through the eye at the top, and push the hook, point first, into the cork at the bottom. when your line is in the water , the plummet will sit on the bottom and if your line is short the float will go under, if it is too long the float will sit at an angle or flat on the water. By adjusting the position of the float, you can accurately "plumb" the depth of the water and have your baited hook sitting on the bottom!

For your knots, look at www.claphamangling.co.uk/

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

As janet mentioned plumbing the depth earlier I assumed she was, but it's a fair point, we do assume a lot.

Janet, another important point at this time of year is to go near moving water. If you have a set of locks nearbye, try fishing nearer to these. The water coming down will add oxygen to the water which makes the fish more active and increases your chance of catching. Oxygenated water is very important when it's hot and humid, sometimes fishing the slower watere next to the fast or even in the faster water "trotting£ your float along, will catch fish.

the best tip is the second one I mentioned above, don't put your line in the water until the air has cooled down at the end of the day, then fish as the others have mentioned above, tight lines, I'm very jealous, I've been sat in the office all day staring at a rod one of the other forum members dropped by to give me (it was only about 200 miles out of his way), they're a good family on here.

keep asking questions and tell us if, as Klein points out, we're assuming too much knowledge. We were all begginers once.

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY