CANAL FISHING FOR EEL

dbrennan

Can anyone tell me if their are eels in the kings cross section of the regents canal and if so how do i go about catching them

yes there are, you might want to feed about a pint of dead maggot down the centre of the track at around dusk then fish for them through the night using lob-worms on the hook, lay about 8 inches of line on the bottom.

ps it gets a bit dodgy around there at night so bring a friend with you and some armour.

good luck.

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

yes there are, you might want to feed about a pint of dead maggot down the centre of the track at around dusk then fish for them through the night using lob-worms on the hook, lay about 8 inches of line on the bottom.

ps it gets a bit dodgy around there at night so bring a friend with you and some armour.

good luck.

i would cut the head off a dead bleak leave it out in the sun for about 2 hours wait till dark and fish with it ie single hook size 2or 4 long shank using a baiting needle on some dackron or some kind off carp line (rig) it works for me one other thing take the barb of the hook

Would have to disagree with the dacron.Fisheaters are quite capable of biting through most braids and nylon.I always use wire for live and dead fish baits for eels.Also safer in case Pike come along.I also prefer my bait to be fresh.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Would have to disagree with the dacron.Fisheaters are quite capable of biting through most braids and nylon.I always use wire for live and dead fish baits for eels.Also safer in case Pike come along.I also prefer my bait to be fresh.

no probs BUDGIE it works for me but i am only pulling out 3 to 4lb eels and not that often i tend to lose most of mine in the weeds but saying that i have used wire but found i had a lot less takes also if i use fresh fish i tend to hook jack pike and very small ones at that nice to hear from you talk more soon martyn

second the safety aspect,i work up the road,go with a few of ya and take minimum tackle.

go with lobworm on one rod and deadbaits on the other(roach,skimmer,perch or gudgeon)

use wire...regents has a head of jacks,plus some eels have well developed teeth,some dont,not worth the risk!

good luck,let us know how ya get on,if you want to daytime fish it, pick a stormy wet day,at least the nutters will stay away!even if teh eels dont want to play!

Edited by Russell Fitzpatrick

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

Some guys have started using Quicksilver for hook lengths.Ive not tried it yet so cant comment. I also know of some eel anglers who have had wire bitten through as well!

Im not sure either way if the wire does put them off at all.I simply choose not to take the risk.

3 and 4lb eels are still very good eels Max.Wish I caught them more often! Russ mentioned a good point.Even though it is generaly accepted that it is the broader headed "fish eaters" that have teeth and the narrower headed "worm eaters" dont I think Russ is right and this does seem to vary from water to water.

Hope Tony is looking in be interesting to hear what he has to say.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Some guys have started using Quicksilver for hook lengths.Ive not tried it yet so cant comment. I also know of some eel anglers who have had wire bitten through as well!

Im not sure either way if the wire does put them off at all.I simply choose not to take the risk.

3 and 4lb eels are still very good eels Max.Wish I caught them more often! Russ mentioned a good point.Even though it is generaly accepted that it is the broader headed "fish eaters" that have teeth and the narrower headed "worm eaters" dont I think Russ is right and this does seem to vary from water to water.

Hope Tony is looking in be interesting to hear what he has to say.

Hi Budgie.

Couldnt resist with an invite like that. lol.

Some eel anglers swear by wire and say they dont have any problems with its use. I do prefare a trick told to me by Steve EELFISHER which is to add about 3 inches of the very soft rubber sleeving which he and I believe takes off the wire feel from the eels teeth just push it down on to the eye of the hook and have the rest covering the first 3 inches of wire, this adds the ability to see how far the eel may have taken the hook into its mouth as you can judge by the amount of rubber you can see.

I am one of those anglers who does use quick silver for hook lenghts. Not had a problem with it to date and I am also using the Solar shock leader braid as well with good results.

No need to thread baits on to your hooks as this has the tendancy to 1. on the strike mask the hook and secondly the eel will have the hook right down its throat by the time a strike is commonly made. i usually just hook the bait at the furthest point from the head works for me.

The tip with the dead maggots is spot on. nice one. had many eels with that tactic.

Dont neglect your margins on canals regardless of depth or features. canals are not the barren looking places they seem on first views. the amount of rubbish makes the canals unique eel habitat. like the ship wreck and conger they go together perfectly.

Always return your eels.

Treat them with the respect you would treat your fav fish with.

Hope that helps and good eeling.

Tony B.T Jolley