Your all time favourite Angling Books

BobH

Chris - I'm sure you'll love CY's books - I can lend you a couple if you'd like - something like The Deepening Pool will shortly get you hooked!

C.

Thanks for the offer Chris but I'm notorious for not giving books back. E-bay has a few for a tenner so I'll buy a copy from there.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the offer Chris but I'm notorious for not giving books back. E-bay has a few for a tenner so I'll buy a copy from there.

And grab a copy of An Angler for All Seasons - the Sheringham anthology while you're at it Any writer that can wax lyrical about chub is a good egg in my book (he also recounts days on the Kennet - which will have you trying to work out exactly where!)

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Rusty,

You will not be sorry, Chris Yates is the best writer of the modern era and a joy to read.

Bob

I do hope so, nothing quite like being immersed in a good book, you keep going back for one more page and before you know it it's 3:00 am. I bought Casting at the Sun too.

Had an e-mail from Edward Barder today, the varnishing is now complete and the rod is in the curing room, he'll be sending me a 'varnish cure report' next Monday. I know this is part and parcel of buying something like this but jeez I just want to start using it. More patience required.

My Top 10

No particular order

Tinca Tinca - Tenchfishers

First Cast - Terry Lampard

Secret Carp - Chris Yates

In pursuit of the largest - Terry Hearn

The biggest fish of all - Perchfishers

A time for Tench - Chris Turnbull

Falling in again - Chris Yates

Still searching - Terry Hearn

Gravel pit angling - Peter Stone

Backwinding - Alan Rawden

I've read all of them at least twice, some most years.

Halfway through The Deepening Pool and thoroughly enjoying it. Casting at the Sun dropped through the letterbox today so I'm looking forward to that too.

Halfway through The Deepening Pool and thoroughly enjoying it. Casting at the Sun dropped through the letterbox today so I'm looking forward to that too.

Aye - knew you'd like it...

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

I don't have the time to list my favourite books, or indeed any books. However, unlike many here, I don't like most of the books that purely tell stories. The problem is that so few of the authors can write well enough to entertain well. In particular I've fed up with those that tell of "At 2pm the buzzer on the right hand rod sounded......" and then are littered with clichés. Unfortunately, there are so many of these books around today.

Of course there are also some first rate descriptive writers around, two of my favourites being BB and Chris Yates.

I also like instructional books because I learn from them, or they set me thinking up new ideas. Two of the modern authors here who spring to mind are Jim Gibbinson and Tony Miles.

I prefer my instructional books to have a few stories though to illustrate the points being made. A classic here is Rod Hutchinson's "The Carp Strikes Back". Not only have I learnt from Rod's books but I've been mightily entertained too!

Now look what you lot have made me do. I said I wasn't going to mention any books and I just have!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net