New BASS MLS ! At last!

barramundi

Or on land or wherever we cross paths :angry: .Ban that inflammatory type of post now!

Ditto Musket! It really is time everyone started to think of long term and sustainable fishing, and forget about short term selfish gain. :schmoll:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PADDLEPOWER sounds like a semi-commercial rule buster to me. One of those whose black markets deeds are starting to be scrutinised very carefully - the fillets can be taken for analysis and the size of fish determined from them actually - so don't rely on that OLD ruse to keep you out of court. And the Inland Revenue are begininng to take a very healthy interest in the actions of "for own consumption" fish takers whose consumption of fish equals that of the seals........a knock on the door from one of these men you do not want - they put tails on suspects long before letting them know they are being investigated.

Take care my friend, take great care.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

PADDLEPOWER sounds like a semi-commercial rule buster to me. One of those whose black markets deeds are starting to be scrutinised very carefully - the fillets can be taken for analysis and the size of fish determined from them actually - so don't rely on that OLD ruse to keep you out of court. And the Inland Revenue are begininng to take a very healthy interest in the actions of "for own consumption" fish takers whose consumption of fish equals that of the seals........a knock on the door from one of these men you do not want - they put tails on suspects long before letting them know they are being investigated.

Take care my friend, take great care.

Well said Simon :)

SDD~~~~ :sun:

Is there more to be said on this thread having directly to do with the new MLS?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Does anybody have a link or source for scientific papers regarding bass sizes and maturity? The only one I came across is in french, and its a pdf so I can't translate it easily either.

I'm just wondering how much effect moving from 36 to 40cm will have. I've seen a lot of comment saying that 40cm is useless as it makes no difference but I don't think that is true.

My understanding is that at 36cm almost no females are mature, at 45cm about 50% are and at 55cm alomst all of them are. That was why 45cm was a compromise anyway, as a move to 55cm is the best in the long term.

What I'd like to know is what % of females are mature at 40cm as I'm sure its more than at 36cm.

Take a look at www.ukbass.com, should be what you need on there... but I ain't checked for sure. :)

SM :)

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

I already looked and thats why I was looking for more detail. BASS makes the following statement:

"Sexual maturity is governed by length, which for female bass from north-west European waters is 42cm total length, achieved in six to seven years."

That implies that an MLS of 40cm is no benefit at all. However, I doubt the validity of that statement and that is what I wanted to check out and dig out the source.

Ditto Musket! It really is time everyone started to think of long term and sustainable fishing, and forget about short term selfish gain. :schmoll:

Hi guys

Sorry for the upset :( just my atemt at humor which isn't very good :( wudnt dream of takin illegal fish actualy, sorry to cause any upset, I didn't mean it and will gladly leave if I have.

Sorry again, i will keep my sily coments out of it as i am not into that kind of thing honest lads.

sorry again

Martin

I feel well stupid now

Sad as it may seem but I actually read the whole 52 page document produced by DEFRA. (Slept well).

It appears to me that there is the inevitable politics involved. Think CEFAS produced evidence that there is an additional smallish percentage of females that do start to breed at 40cm. They worked out that bringing this part of the stock in to new stock generation would lead to an increase in numbers and size over a period without forcing other commercial stakeholders to start targeting large fish.

I think they were concerned that if the whole commercial fleet was forced to target bigger fish this could actually lead to a decrease in these. Their thoughts are that the smaller mesh sizes allow the bigger fish to bounce off the nets. I know this does happen.

I would recommend that if you have the stomach for it read the whole document. I do feel DEFRA were in a lose lose situation and bearing in mind the usual dose of politics that has to go into these decisions I genuinly think they feel they have made the best decision for stock and stake holders. Only time will tell.

But read the document and look at all the evidence put forward its bit of an eye opener.

Fished since 2003, the rest of my life I just wasted.

Southampton, Scupper Pro TW Angler: Yarak2.

Member of the OK fishing Team ( I have had free bits) :-)

i wonder what the blue bars under our names mean?

fished ramsgate got lots of schoolies if i added em all together i might of got a pound but i doubt it i aint seen a bass over 2 pounds in a long time either caught near me or in the water

beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

KAYAK :ok scupper pro (green)

launches 2009 1

species caught 1 cod