Barbless hooks and safety

Anderoo

I don't know whether this water qualifies as a "wild water" - It is not advertised (apart from word of mouth) and has matured in the 17 years it has been there. I was responsible for the selection of fingerings that were put in (Rudd, Roach, Perch and "pasty" Carp - and later Crucians and Tench.) The fish have matured nicely and the lake was netted about 2-3 years ago. We removed a lot of little Roach and Rudd and the owner was all for getting rid of the Perch, we dissuaded him and he now has a healthy stock of fish! (apart from angling damage!) with my P.Bs being Tench 3lb, Roach 3lb 2oz, Rudd 3lb, Carp 24lb 6oz, Crucians 2lb3oz and Perch 4lb 1oz.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said I wouldn't Answer but I have to defend myself! Carpstar, you say you like to catch Tench, do you catch them by accident? Or do you actually target them? And Roach, Rudd etc.? They all need the ART of watercraft to catch them on purpose.

I fished the lake I was talking about out a week ago and targeted Crucians. I had caught about 14 when a Carp fisherman asked me how the fishing was, I replied that I had caught about 14 and he said "no you haven't, I have been fishing here for 12 years, there are no Crucians in here" as luck would have it, I had a take right then, and showed him the Crucian when I had landed it. He replied he had never seen one caught there before. THAT is watercraft, which is an ART!

If you are trying to insinuate that i catch Tench while targeting Carp then you would be incorrect,all Tench that i have caught i have been fishing for!!!

Yes we all need SKILL and LUCK to catch the species we are after! :)

With my silken line and delicate hook,i wander in a myriad of ripples and find freedom!

IMO too few venues are run like they were 30 years ago! Most waters are grossly overstocked and could do with fish being taken out not put in! Personally I prefer a natural water any day, not one with plush toilets, parking behind your swim and food delivered to your bivvy door! I'd happily pay much more than £6 for a day ticket on such wild waters.

What's more, whether the owner has long since paid for the water is irrelevant. A proper business needs a return on the owner's capital every year. Otherwise he'd be better off selling it and investing elsewhere. In fact a good businessmen should base his prices purely on what the fishing is worth.

Obviously though you're talking about commercial venues, Ian, and I see where you're coming from.

Yes, I agree that some offer poor value for money. However, these will eventually go bust in the same way as many put and take trout fisheries did not so long ago. It's all a question of supply and demand of course. The supply side is increasing as more and more fisheries are created, but the number of anglers is falling.

Yes, times are changing. However there are two distinct markets. One is for the traditional style of wild, naturally-stocked waters. The other is for venues where the fish are artificially easy to catch and a lot of peripheral services are offered.

It seems that many prefer to fish these commercial venues. Indeed some have never fished any other sort of water. There's nothing wrong with that of course. I've fished commercials in the past myself for big perch, and also taken beginners to them as they're ideal training grounds. They're also useful for testing out new ideas. In general though I prefer more challenging waters.

In fact I'm glad most anglers leave the wild waters alone. It means more room for those like me! :)

Amen!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music