Barbless hooks and safety

Anderoo

I caught a good chub yesterday from a small stream, and when I came to unhook it, there was a large barbless hook (size 6) stuck inside its mouth. It had obviously been there a long time as it had rusted, but there was no way it was going to rust away or dislodge itself. In fact over time it was clear that it was getting less, not more, likely to come out on its own.

It's a good reminder that the only 'safe' rig is one you don't leave in a fish at all. If you've lost a fish because of a breakage and thought, that'll come out on its own, the truth is it probably won't. In this case the line was too light. The fish in this stream aren't monsters but it's very snaggy and fast flowing and light line just isn't up to it.

This isn't a rant, and I know accidents happen, but seeing this (especially against the backdrop of the current over-the-top fish-care nonsense scene) annoyed me. :angry:

In fairness it's also worth pointing out that the fish was healthy and feeding OK. Had the hook been deeper that might not have been the case.

i totally agree, i reckon that you need to have at least 10 years experience in the art of fishing before you should venture out alone.

if you haven't got 10 years with proof (all your existing dated licenses ) then you should only go fishing with a competent angler.

anyone got any of of these punches please
Broadband problems, click here
my m8 is a pike angler and one of the nicest people you could ever meet.IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think ten years is a bit extreme! but I agree with the principle.I still dont see why a system cant be introduced to ensure people know the basics (a la German style) before a rod licence can be obtained.

This would surely benifit the fish and new anglers equaly.

The licence system could be tiered so being relevant to all of anglings many areas.ie a predator licence would be required to fish for predators and only be obtainable after instruction in basic techniques and handling/unhooking skills. To use a keepnet would require an additional "stamp" on the licence once again after correct instruction etc etc.

I say this as over the years of discussing various angling matters on here it seems that most agree that there is very little in angling that is bad as long as its carried out properly.Also it seems that not only are there many out there who dont know the basics but they are also very keen to learn.

So why not pay to learn and be licensed to put this into practice?We accept it for a lot of other far less interesting things in life so why not something we all reckon we are so passionate about?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I think the concept is excellent Budgie...but the policing of such a system would prove very difficult mate, hell, some anglers never see an EA bailiff!

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

Once again I agree to a certain extent Bob.However rather than saying that it would be hard to police because the EA cant even police the present system maybe we should be pushing for them to get their act together?

If they policed the present licence correctly the proposed system wouldnt be any harder would it?

Also I think that even if they still didnt get their act together the many law abiding,licence buying anglers would still benifit from "learning the right way".

My only concern would be that it would add to much to the price of a licence? Then again if the EA can throw money at encouraging single muslim mothers to go fishing and sending out a glossy (but totally irelavant) magazine..............................

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I think the concept is excellent Budgie...but the policing of such a system would prove very difficult mate, hell, some anglers never see an EA bailiff!

i saw one sunday week ,last one a sunday in 1969 :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Controversy coming up! I really think that the problem is lack of education in the art (because it IS an art!) of fishing! Too often I have seen mum arrive in an MPV, several kids peel out (complete with cr*p tackle!) and mum starting to drive of before the kids have reached the water and shouting "remember I'll pick you up at 5 o'clock".

If the kids get no bites in the first 15 minutes (not unusual with the cr*p and totally unsuitable tackle) they get bored and have "Boily fights" or generally p*ss every other angler off.

These kids have had no tutelage at all.

Why don't the powers that be BAN anglers under the age of 18 unless accompanied by someone who is 30 or over! :angry::angry:

Have you never seen the kids striking so hard that they nearly fall over? THAT is when you get hooks left in fish.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

That is a brilliant idea Klein...pretty soon there will only be "experienced" anglers on the bank...and not many years later there will be no anglers under the age of thirty...and utimately angling will die out altogether because "no one under the age of 18 " was allowed to fish on their own.

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Just to clarify a couple of points: the hook wasn't deep, it was just inside the mouth. The knot to the hook was fine, the line had snapped about 4" from the hook. The line was 'light' for this river, in my opinion - it looked about 4lb. Not enough when you have to drop baits in some very snaggy places to get bites.

The main point really is one Budgie picked up on - choosing to believe that a hook left in a fish will fall out or rust away is easing the angler's conscience, nothing more.

It certainly wouldn't have been kids fishing here - you'd understand if you saw the place!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Before we all get TOO pessimistic about the chances of any fish surviving the attentions of anglers who haven't got enough experience, training or whatever, can I point out that the fish have been subjected to this treatment for the thirty odd years that I've been fishing and a few thousand years before that and yet there are more freshwater fish about now than I can ever remember. The sea is a different matter and that has nothing to do with angling abuse.

The only fish I won't attempt to remove hooks that I can't see from are small to medium eels. There's no way I know of that will subdue an eel up to a pound sufficiently to disgorge it without causing it injury. If the hook is showing externally, which it is nine times out of ten, I remove it otherwise I cut the line.

The fish that suffer most unnecessarily are pike. There are ways to unhook pike with a minimum of fuss, however deeply hooked, but they need to be demonstrated not written about!

Why don't the powers that be BAN anglers under the age of 18 unless accompanied by someone who is 30 or

I would rather that the powers that be would have a ban on banning things. If a policy like that existed 30 odd years ago I would never have started fishing as there were few adults around me who were interested in angling.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote