Barbless hooks and safety

Anderoo

I caught a good chub yesterday from a small stream, and when I came to unhook it, there was a large barbless hook (size 6) stuck inside its mouth. It had obviously been there a long time as it had rusted, but there was no way it was going to rust away or dislodge itself. In fact over time it was clear that it was getting less, not more, likely to come out on its own.

It's a good reminder that the only 'safe' rig is one you don't leave in a fish at all. If you've lost a fish because of a breakage and thought, that'll come out on its own, the truth is it probably won't. In this case the line was too light. The fish in this stream aren't monsters but it's very snaggy and fast flowing and light line just isn't up to it.

This isn't a rant, and I know accidents happen, but seeing this (especially against the backdrop of the current over-the-top fish-care nonsense scene) annoyed me. :angry:

In fairness it's also worth pointing out that the fish was healthy and feeding OK. Had the hook been deeper that might not have been the case.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've thought for a while that Rex Hunt is living in a fantasy world when he says that hooks will rust away in a few days.

In of his shows, he catches a flathead with a large hook still in it and what are the chances of a tasty fish being hooked twice in a couple of days in the open sea ?

In freshwater, even thin hooks are going to last a while so I have little time for people who think that routinely using very light tackle is in any way sporting.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Too many people also seem to take a perverse pride in being broken by fish - sometimes repeatedly! This seems to be a common occurrence on some commercials, with anglers using light lines and small hooks for carp of 5-10lb in weight.

Even if there aren't many snags, a carp of this size can take off so fast that a breakage is almost inevitable. I must admit I've had numerous carp recently that have had other people's hooks in them (and not only in the mouth).

Whilst I mostly agree with the points of view posted above, if you want to be absolutely 100% sure that you are NEVER going to damage a fish there is a simple solution and that is to give up angling altogether.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I have often wondered if the "cut the hook off as close as possible and the eel/perch will get rid of it" is really just a way for an angler to ease his concience.

Pointless even discussing Rex Hunts take on this as it is an entirely different angling culture to ours and as such shouldnt be either copied or condemed.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I have often wondered if the "cut the hook off as close as possible and the eel/perch will get rid of it" is really just a way for an angler to ease his conscience.

I think it would be sheer folly to think all the hooks will become dislodged and pass through the fish Budgie, although some probably do, more likely the fish will "heal" over the hook , but I am of the opinion this is better than trying to retrieve a deep hook, poking about beyond its pharyngeal teeth usually results in a belly up disaster.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

I can't see any serious angler fishing a 'light' line with a size 6 hook. IMO it was a bad knot or a novice angler with unbalanced tackle. The use of high TC, stiff rods and heavy lines with 'hit and hold' tactics, I think is one of the main causes of breakages. We have had a few 'broken rod' posts on here, and I am convinced it is down to inexperience and the use of rod and line not matching. I also have my doubts about the use of braid, when it is used straight through, without any mono to act as a shock absorber, combine this with a stiff rod and your asking for trouble. I won't go into the abrasive effects of braid on fish, because it has been well covered already.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

To a certain extent I agree with Bob that to much and to deep prodding with a disgorger can cause just as much damage.I just wouldnt like to see the cut it off and leave aproach become standard.

Also anglers interpretation of what is "deep" varies greatly.Especially with Pike!

I suppose the real thing is we need to know wether the hook left in will present more of a problem than the attempt to remove it? Im pretty much in the school of it will.Therefore I always try to remove the hook.If it kills the fish then I feel that this is because the hook was that deep/in that damaging a position that the fish would have died any way.The reverse obviously could also be argued by the "cut off" believer!

I suppose my veiw is simply that anglers should learn all of the effective unhooking methods and tools required as well as obviously trying their utmost to avoid deep hooking in the first place.However as allready said we must be realistic and accept the occaisional casualty.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I try to make sure fish are not deep hooked in the first place,followed by trying to retrieve my hook and lastly deciding to cut my line in that order.... I have not had to do the latter for a very long time though, slamo disgorger's are the reason,especially with Eels, I think it boils down to experience, after a while it only takes a quick look to decide the best course of action ...don't you agree Budgie?

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]