using sea floats and tying the rig

stuart mcd

Hi

I recently took up fishing and have purchase a few Sea Floats. I have had a look at some websites and really dont know where to start when it comes to tying it to my main line. pack is 5" float 2 beads a swivel a weight a hook and an elastic band. I have tied it as per the instruction in the pack but it does not look right. is the weight and bottom beed meant to be free on th line between the float and swivel.... Arghhhh I have confused myself even more now.. Any hints are appreciated

Okay i'll try to explain.

Tie a sliding stop knot onto your mainline, next thread on a bead, then your float, then a drilled ball weight, then another bead and finally tie on the swivel. Next take your hooklength (perhaps 2ft length of mono) and tie one end to the swivel and your chosen hook to the other.

Done :)

To change the depth you just need to slide the stop knot up or down your mainline.

Edited by *Ant*

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

welcome to anglers net stuart mcd.

dont know about the instructions, dont usually follow them, but i would go ( starting from the top ), swivel, bead, float, hooklength. spose you could use the rubber band as a stop below your float to adjust the depth your hook is fishing.

someone will now come on to tell me i'm doing it all wrong :)

Many floats sold specifically for the sea market are way over the top, personally I stick with the Drennan piker range, the 35/40gm versions are perfect for most sea work. During a recent trip to Ireland I landed over 30 pollack to 6lb fishing around 12ft deep with just 5lb mono to 0,06 braid. I used similar tactics to landed an 11-3 bass from the Purbecks just a couple of weeks ago on although the hook length was 8lb mono.

You will catch some mackerel, garfish and scad on the mooring buoys sold as sea floats along with the hawser they use as line but your catch rate will be multiplied many times over when you scale down, tis very similar to fresh water fishing. If you are targeting mullet it will pay to scale down even finer, a large freshwater waggler will often do the trick with 3/4lb line.

welcome to anglers net stuart mcd.

dont know about the instructions, dont usually follow them, but i would go ( starting from the top ), swivel, bead, float, hooklength. spose you could use the rubber band as a stop below your float to adjust the depth your hook is fishing.

someone will now come on to tell me i'm doing it all wrong :)

Thanks to you both.

very much I done just about everything right the only thing I think I done wrong was I just tied a normal knot above the first bead.

I was reading the article on Mackerel, I had no idea of the issues with touching them. I live in greenock on the cyde they are being pulled in here by the hundres daily. I however want to try fishing for other types of fish(please dont ask what type/species I have no idea) just makes a good for day out of the house

Stuart.

One bead above and one below the float !! This will stop the float jamming on the knots of other components on the rig.

Yes, the weight is free on the line.

I suggest you look at the rig in this months BFM. That may seem an OTT float set up, but it is deadly. Even I`ve caught a double figure bass on one. Mind you, the chap on the cover was our skipper. Rob really knows his stuff.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Not sure if anyone has already mentioned this (only scanned the replies) but the elastic band is for your slip knot. If its too bulky when tied into your main line between the float and your reel then trim it down with scissors.

What will you be fishing for stuart and where ?

Edited by glennk

I have found these to be the best float stops. They are easy to put on your line, easy enough to slide on your line and will easily pass through your rings and level wind.

floatstop.jpg

Hmm anyone know why my image is not showing?

Edited by Stoaty