Best Roach river

The Flying Tench

Tony U, re the Tweed, I have not fished the river for over 20 years, ever since when on our last visit to Horncliffe we wittnessed 10's of 1000s of roach and dace being loaded into the backs of waggons. I'm sure there will be some coarse fish left in the system, but I have not heard of a single fish reported from the river for many a year

Tight Lines,

Wearyone

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wearyone:

Tony U, re the Tweed, I have not fished the river for over 20 years, ever since when on our last visit to Horncliffe we wittnessed 10's of 1000s of roach and dace being loaded into the backs of waggons.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh :mad: :mad: :mad:

john clarke

• 3 years later...
The bigger roach of the wensum came from in the main from above about lyng. There were big shoals of them in the london anglers stretch, the best of the fishing was around Swanton morley,bylaugh and north elmham. These were the fish that john baily ,JJ john wilson etall used to chase. I was fortunate to live at swanton morley through the 60s and as ateenager my best night produced 5 2s in a bag of some 17 or 18 fish. The massive water abstraction in the valley due to the coruption of the water table did nothing to help these super fish. The roach in norwich were usually a different stanp of fish,the stretch outside the station down to carrow rd football ground produced good bags of about 1lb fish, mind you fishing there when norwich were at home could be hairy!

had similar experinces on the Trent in Nottingham, had a couple of two pounders right outside the City Ground, had a group of about 70 forest fans shouting and chearing as i landed one in late 80's just before a Forest v Blackburn match when Shearer was playing for Blackburn.

If anyone can recommend venues on the Severn for large roach i'd be very grateful. Asking for such information seems like asking for gold to me... but if anyone can find it in their hearts ... :D ??? I'd be eternally gratefull !

The biggest I have managed from the river is 1lb 7oz. A 2lb'er is a dream.

I know 2 places on the upper Lea above Welwyn Garden City where my friends and I have had 2lb roach from (best 2lb 5oz) although they are quite scarce.

Our Club has reported several large roach of 3lbs plus which have been caught on the Upper Great Ouse a few milies downstream of Walkers Hut last season.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Hi Twochay...

Many years ago I used to fish a tiny little river in Kessingland Suffolk... (sorry, can't recall the name). it held some Roach that were amazing. Back then it didn't get much fishing pressure at all, and if you were stealthy (did a little crawling on your belly) you could really get some beauties... I had Roach out of there up to 3lbs... what scrappers they were.

In a recent post I was told that there are some really nice fish in some of the drains in the Fens around Cambridgshire. One of the members posted some pics of some real big red eyed beauties. If there was one fish I could introduce to the US it would be the Roach or the Rudd. They were always my favourites.

Rob J

Palm Springs Ca.

Show me someone who thinks they know everything...

I'll show you a fool...

Leave the area you fish... cleaner than it was before you got there !!!!