what is the best bait to use for catching mackrel

everton11

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot depends on where and how you are fishing for them.

Boat? Pier? Rock mark.

Feathers or daylights are good to catch plenty of them. Or try a silver bar spinner and light tackle if its sport you are after.

If you want to use bait try a thin strip of mackrel belly on a small hook. It can be floatfished or ledgered.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Beware if the area youre fishing in is snaggy on the bottom tho..... Dont let the spinner drop right to the bottom tho i find it best to let it sink as low as possible beofre slowly winding in with the odd gentle jerk. If your fishing at night id suggest a 1/0 or 2/0 hook baited with some silver strips of mackerel belly fillet under a float with a star light in. Experiment with depth till you find where tyhe mackerel are feeding

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

Guest challenge

Use a hairs ear on a floating line with a sinking tippet.

Never use more than two droppers and don’t cast your first line till two hours before sunset.

Been thousands of macky up here rob. Seems we have a better fishing in lat aug and september these days.

There have been plenty off the pier down here too :P especially this last week or so... decent size too. Hard part is finding a spot to fish from. If you get down late forget it :P

Edited by skippytheroo

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

I am raising a Millers to you both now :) Hope you are enjoying it.

Tony fancy getting :drunk::drunk: in the Rockcliffe Arms over the Xmas hols if you are up????

[/quo

Bare silver hooks work. :) Best go into your local tackle shop mate.A set of macky feathers about £1 to £1.50

If you cannot get them will do you some rigs as cheap as I can :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy