Dying monitor

Ken L

My TFT monitor is starting to flicker and isn't displaying reds properly so it's definatly on it's way out.

Having watched the Randy Pauch "Time management" video, I'm tempted to try two monitors but a single bigger monitor is also an option.

Obviously, a single bigger monitor would be better for watching video but does anyone have any other thoughts on the practicallities of either approach ?

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

My TFT monitor is starting to flicker and isn't displaying reds properly so it's definatly on it's way out.

Having watched the Randy Pauch "Time management" video, I'm tempted to try two monitors but a single bigger monitor is also an option.

Obviously, a single bigger monitor would be better for watching video but does anyone have any other thoughts on the practicallities of either approach ?

Back on topic, two monitors are definitely superior to one. Once you have tried you won't want to go back. Two monitors are especially good for photoshop as you can put your image on one screen and all the tool bars and pallets on the other. Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

But wouldn't you end up with double vision? How far back do you ned to sit in order to view both screens at the same time?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

But wouldn't you end up with double vision? How far back do you ned to sit in order to view both screens at the same time?

Den

No you don't get double vision and you just sit the same distance away as you normally do. I've worked on trading floors where some currency and options traders had 4 or 6 displays on their desks. I've used systems with Matrox RT.X2 graphics cards with a TV and a monitor attached for video editing purposes. Edit your videos in Adobe Premier and see your results instantly on the TV with no rendering, all rendering is done real time on the Matrox card.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

• 1 month later...

Well, my original monitor settled back down and started showing colours correctly again so I did nothing for a while.

Then I saw a 20" widescreen Samsung monitor for £120 and thought "what the hell", it's going to go some time soon.

The new monitor is pretty groovey but struggles to show two windows side by side so I decided to hook up both of them together.

It took a bit of jigging about to get the resolution settings optimised and work out how to change the settings so that the secondary monitor is on the left but it's all done now and I can open a window, shove it on the secondary monitor and then open up whatever I want to do on the big screen. At the moment, I have Windows Media Player open and playing music on the side screen and AN open on the big one.

I think I like it and best of all, it operates just as it always did without any changing of settings if I choose not to turn on the second screen.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

you want one of these,

nec-curved-monitor-model-42dwx-crvd.jpg

the steering wheel is simply to drive your mouse from one end of the screen to the other

on a more serious note have you tried the monitor in another computer i had similar problems which turned out to be a loose connection between male connector on the graphic card and the vga cable connector

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

i have an old 25" plasma monitor besides giving me a suntan and heating the room its great for games ,that pokey little telescopic sight on medal of honour now is as big as my old monitor

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

you want one of these,
He might not, but I do.

same here but i just cant find them for sale anywhere or even get a price. so far they come with certain alienware computers but im not shelling out £2k just yet
I have a small problem, It wouldnt fit on my desk, might not even get it in my bedroom.