Damn viruses...help!

peter mccue

Hi chaps I need some help.

I've suddenly started to get warnings that my comp is infected with psw trojans, spybot@mxt & spmcx.

They all seem to lead me to some spyware products (spyware doctor among others) that require me to buy them to clean things up. Now somethings are definately wandering round my comp because there's a few pop-ups cropping up entailing ladies of a dubious nature!

Trouble is everytime I run NAV it comes up with a clean sheet when it oh so obviously isn't.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly, dump NAV, its bloated software which doesn`t even work properly, get something like NOD32

Secondly, run an online virus scanner to find the critters.

Thirdly, Install some spyware apps like ad-aware and spybot as they help prevent some things getting in.

Lastly, Dump NAV

Avg free and spybot had them for years with no probs

Same here Jimpy. I swear by them both. Try ewido on top of those and I bet it'll find some that they're missing.

HB

Edited by Hellbelly
rb_getcreative.gif

I've suddenly started to get warnings that my comp is infected with psw trojans, spybot@mxt & spmcx.

They all seem to lead me to some spyware products (spyware doctor among others) that require me to buy them to clean things up. Now somethings are definately wandering round my comp because there's a few pop-ups cropping up entailing ladies of a dubious nature!

I have had two of these infections now and both took me a few hours to remove. The last one was BraveSentry, reported here. However I think the removal instructions have a small error. Where it says run adaware, it means run ewido. Personally I ran both!

The key thing is to run all the tools recommended in Safe Mode.

I think the one I caught before Bravesentry was called Smitfraud and it's removal instructions were very similar.

Good luck.