Most skillful method

Anderoo

Having spent a few sessions back on the stick float, I've been thinking about what the most skillful method of angling is - i.e. the one which takes the most practice, acquired knowledge, watercraft, and concentration.

In general I think I'd say that fly fishing is more skillful than coarse fishing.

Within coarse fishing I think trotting a stick float is probably the most skillful, especially when using a centrepin. (I don't own one yet, so maybe I'm wrong?) It certainly requires a lot of effort and concentration.

Your thoughts? :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Having spent a few sessions back on the stick float, I've been thinking about what the most skillful method of angling is - i.e. the one which takes the most practice, acquired knowledge, watercraft, and concentration.

In general I think I'd say that fly fishing is more skillful than coarse fishing.

Within coarse fishing I think trotting a stick float is probably the most skillful, especially when using a centrepin. (I don't own one yet, so maybe I'm wrong?) It certainly requires a lot of effort and concentration.

Hi Anderoo,

I’m not sure about the fly fishing, but that’s only because I’ve never done it. I’d go with you on trotting a stick float and yes, I can confirm it is harder with a centrepin (for me anyway, I was brought up on fixed spools). I think that’s why I find it so satisfying when I have a good day.

Andy.

Hi Anderoo,

I’m not sure about the fly fishing, but that’s only because I’ve never done it. I’d go with you on trotting a stick float and yes, I can confirm it is harder with a centrepin (for me anyway, I was brought up on fixed spools). I think that’s why I find it so satisfying when I have a good day.

Andy.

Possibly dry fly fishing is more skillful, but dragging fluorescent flies through the water is no more skillful than lure fishing IMO. As for trotting with a stick float, i must admit to never owning a centre pin :unsure: . I have tried it with a fixed spool and it takes lots of practice for sure.

Another one that takes great skill IMO, is floater fishing for carp.

Paul

There's no such thing as a bad days fishing..

Dry fly fishing is a doddle....upstream nymph fishing is not. Well, I find it hard anyhow......

As for coarse fishing, for me it's a toss up between Stret Pegging and simply rolling a freelined lump of meat searching a river which are the most challenging.

Paul

Taking a bag of fish by trotting does indeed require a modicum of skill, it is actually easier to trot a float using a centrepin and bait presentation is better as the line is taken off the reel smoothly, the bait can also be held back by applying pressure to the spinning drum.

There are so many aspects to fishing and all of them, to be successfull, require skill of some sort. For me, however, stalking a big Carp at close range in a snaggy area requires many different angling skills in order to extract the fish. But for sheer angling pleasure, trotting for Roach on an autumn day with a pin takes some beating.

Martin.

Whichever one's being employed by a thinking angler who isn't just constantly active but is applying the active and physically demanding skill-set in the right place at the right time for whatever the target species is.

This might be trotting, it might be small river nymphing, it might be fishing a waggler over spayed maggots it might even be staling carp in the margins after days of legwork without a rod but it will always be an active "hunting" method rather than a passive "trapping" one.

Although I'm a self confessed lure nut, for me, if I had to pick a single method as the most skillful, it would probably be trotting a steady river of 5 - 8 feet. Physically not to difficult but when I talk to my dad, he still suprises me by telling me things that I never learned about feed patterns and the like in almost 20 years of regularly fishing with him on this kind of water.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Pole fishing..nothing compares..

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Another one that takes great skill IMO, is floater fishing for carp.

Paul

You must think I'm picking on you or something mate, but honestly I'm not. This was one of the things that put me off carp fishing (at least in lakes). Carp of the top is too easy. Pedigree Chum pup biscuits or bread crust. Cast, slurp, bang another one. By the third trip I wished I was fishing for perch in Duck Bay.

I was tempted to say any kind of fishing for mullet, but I am not so sure, mullet are not really hard to catch, just very frustrating.

Spear fishing must be at the top of the list !

Or harpooning sperm whales whales in a force 8. I've never tried spear fishing. What kind of spear did you catch?

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote