Normark... Could I? Should I?

MikeT

I 'need' a new rod, for trotting a stick for chub on the Stour.

Actually, I don't exactly need one (since I have a perfectly adequate match rod that will do just fine), but I really really want one. You know how it is.

Being a sucker for all things expensive and of top quality, I am prepared to spend (secretly) approximately five times what my wife would consider a sensible price for a fishing rod.

I have searched through this forum thoroughly, and I am getting an idea of what is Hot and what is Not.

I can get a brand new 2007 Normark Titan II 13-14ft for £205 (inc p&p)... the RRP an astonishing £399!!

Should I?

I mean, I could get the Shimano Speedmaster for £120, and buy an Okuma centrepin with the change. Let alone the fabulous Shimano Argos Bargain Sensation!

I understand the principle of 'you gets what you pays for', but is this rod just another example of diminishing returns for cost? Is the price simply a reflection of how we will pay enormous amounts for marginal improvements?

My chum spent £200 for interconnects for his hi-fi recently- these are the little wires that connect the back of the CD player to the amp. When he showed me, I really, truly couldn't hear the difference compared to his 'cheap' £50 ones. He seemed chuffed though, so I guess the extra money had some sort of placebo effect on his auditory apparatus.

What I am trying to get at is this...

I can easily part with £200 for a rod if it is actually worth it, but would it really be that much better than a cheaper one?

Whaddya think?

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike its worth it, I have been using Normark Float rods for ten years now and they are simply the best around.

My latest Titan II landed a big double Carp without too much trauma and it was equally at home trotting a stick float on the Itchen for Grayling.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Thanks, Tony. I think I feel like I'm asking to be persuaded to buy something I really want anyway- glad to hear you would recommend it.

I suppose it's also a good point that such a fine quality rod is very versatile. From gudgeons to clonkers. Kind of like two rods for the price of one (which makes it half price, in effect, doesn't it?)

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

Dammit.

I was really worried someone would say something like that.

I saw the Antares AX, and was very impressed. Anyone actually have one of these?

Choices, choices...

Dammit.

I was really worried someone would say something like that.

I saw the Antares AX, and was very impressed. Anyone actually have one of these?

Choices, choices...

I have a few in the range, including this one (Barbel Multi-tip is on it's way) and I try alot before I buy. They are nothing short of amazing, everything about them is quality, and they would be much, much cheaper than the Normark. I think you should at least see and feel one before making any decisions.

I have the Normark Microlite 13 ft and find it to be a superb rod. I have used the Titan and also the Avenger but for me due to the extreme light weight and balance of the microlite I prefer it out of the three. A super trotting rod.

the Microlite is as great trotting rod

I bought one earlier this year second hand for the sum of £10.00 :D:clap::P

and it was all legit and above board

Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with a light on.

Thanks, all, for your advice.

Ducktape,

everything about them is quality, and they would be much, much cheaper than the Normark

Well, looking around, I reckon there's not much in it for price. The cheapest I could find the Antares AX was £189, and the Normark goes for £204, as mentioned above. Both are extendable from 13 to 14 feet. I am not overly concerned about cosmetic looks, but the Shimano does admittedly look pretty sexy.

However.... In terms of lightness, the Normark is 170g, and the Shimano 224g.

Does anyone think this difference in weight is likely to be of any significance?

Ive got and had several good quality Match/float rods.Even now I now use a pair of MAP 14'rods I must admit that neither these or any other ones Ive had are a patch on the Microlite or Titan I used to have in my match fishing days.Theve never been cheap but they have always felt that much better.The fact you can get them a lot cheaper if you get "cosmetic" seconds from Tackle Bargains would make my decision (if I was in the market for some new rods) a simple one.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!