Normark... Could I? Should I?

MikeT

Good enough, I suppose, to describe how great the finish is but I normally want details on # & construction of rings, the specific glass or/and carbon used in the blank, speed & style of action, recommended line B/S & casting weight, that sort of thing. I assume that any decent factory rod will have a smooth finish & whipping colour that blends well with the blank colour.

Newt,

The attributes you've described are the first things I look at when choosing a rod, the looks come way down the list actually. When I've gathered all the info I need on all the rods, then, and only then, will I look at cosmetics, the rings to me are one of the most important parts. It's no different for me when choosing a car. I look for the car best suited, first on reliability, then practicality, looks again are way down the list. As for your last point on finish and colour, you should really take a look around some of the shops here. Some rods beggar belief, at the colour schemes, which I can only assume are aimed at kids. In fact it's only now with companies like Fox and Shimano, that a £50 rod looks the same as a rod twice the price. I've had some rough looking bits of tackle over the years that have served me well, but now that I can afford it, I prefer to spend it on something I like.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect we do look for the same rod characteristics then and as you said, at the end of the day, we need to get gear that pleases us rather than what might suit others.

BTW - don't believe that Budgie feller when he speaks bad about the psychedelic finishes on rods. He loves them but only uses them at night or when fishing by himself.

budgie_rod.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

BTW - don't believe that Budgie feller when he speaks bad about the psychedelic finishes on rods. He loves them but only uses them at night or when fishing by himself.

post-463-1158937224_thumb.jpg

Newt that Hot Pink & Chartreuse combination you show is "quite tastefull" compared to the horrors weve seen on rods in the UK over the last few years!

It seemed to take the trade years to realise that no one liked it! All they had to do was whipp the rods up in black on the natural carbon grey blank and even the cheapest rods would look like the custom made jobs and sell!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Mike, go for the Normark Titan ( or the slightly beefier Avenger from Tacklebargains ). They're absolutely superb rods and you'll never regret spendind the extra dosh. As with all things in life top quality costs a little more. Personally, I wouldn't touch Shimano because several mates have had bad experiences with them ( joints snapping unexpectedly ). Oh, by the way the titan extension takes it from 13' to 15' without compromising it's balance. Beautiful rods...

I haven't handled the Shimano rod you mentioned and so can't comment on it.

This is what i posted on a similar topic recently:

"I'm another fan of Normark float rods and they're simply the best I've ever handled - and I used to have a hand in designing rods. The superfine hollow tops means that a sliced tip isn't needed. Yes, they're pricey, but the Tackle Bargains special offer is a steal!

The next best I've handled is the Harrison GTi range. These come in 3 versions at each length, a spliced tip, a hollow tip and a stepped-up tip. If you buy them at the same time, the tips are interchangeable, making them very versatile. If you buy them afterwards ask for the tips to be made slightly longer and cut them down to fit. They're not expensive for a custom-built British rod - indeed they cost less than many mass-produced imported rods that aren't nearly as good!"

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I couldn't agree more with what's been posted about tackle catalogues. It's so frustrating that so many UK companies give little information about the important points but harp on about the fittings - the least vital part of a rod.

What is important can be remembered by the initials PAL. These stand for Power, Action and Length. Please tackle firms, do tell us something about these!

US catalogues are usually much better than our ones in this respect, and we could learn a thing or two here from US firms.

I also agree about the colour schemes that were used. The one thing they told you that the rods were cheap, imported ones!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

As a matter of interest (and controversy :) ) who makes Normark blanks, and what do they cost?

I used to have a pair of Daiwa (good make? ) rods, which were almost red in colour. Obviously the resin used, and they were not cheap and nasty.

I also have a pair of Leeda carp rods, got a fairly bright and cheerful transfer(?) on the butt section, £25.00 and light as a feather and lovely action, ideal for short range work.

In my experience, Normark rods are vastly overrated and overpriced, the tips often break, and they certainly don't catch any more fish than my Shimano rods :)

For years we were ripped off for carbon rods, and it seems that Normark are still doing it.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I used to have a pair of Daiwa (good make? ) rods, which were almost red in colour. Obviously the resin used, and they were not cheap and nasty.

I notice that, after years of being on the receiving end of comments about the "orange" colour of my trusty old Shakespeare Alpha match rod, some expensive new JW Young rods are being produced in a very similar colour... :rolleyes:

As a matter of interest (and controversy :) ) who makes Normark blanks, and what do they cost?

I also have a pair of Leeda carp rods, got a fairly bright and cheerful transfer(?) on the butt section, £25.00 and light as a feather and lovely action, ideal for short range work.

In my experience, Normark rods are vastly overrated and overpriced, the tips often break, and they certainly don't catch any more fish than my Shimano rods :)

For years we were ripped off for carbon rods, and it seems that Normark are still doing it.

Den

Den HI There,

A very interesting point you make about the pricing structure of some brand rods, i have in the last two seasons bought two new match rods, the first last year for a specific job on a small river and stream i fish its a 12ft Shakespeare Borak, i searched for a long time before i purchased and having used the brand on and off for over 30 years was not afraid to buy it is without doubt one of the best rods i have handled including my Shimano Perfection(see here http://www.shakespeare-fishing.co.uk/Kits-...se-Rods/0/177/).

The other is a rod supplied via a good friend on AN Mr G it is a Maver 14ft italica(see here http://www.maver.co.uk/maver_match_rod_models.htm ) again i can not fault the finnish action and feel of the rods, both rods i would consider to be within the pocket of most and i would stand them alongside any product in the market today.

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.