Normark... Could I? Should I?

MikeT

Den, the top of the range Normarks were made in Japan by Diamura. IMO these are the Rolls Royce of float rods. They can make hollow tips so fine and even that spliced tips aren't needed.

Yes, at full price they're expensive, but so is a Roll's Royce! At the Tacklebargains price I consider them very good value for money.

I've owned several Normarks, and also made up rods for customers on Normark blanks when for a relatively short time they were available. I can't recall ever having one come back broken.

The more expensive Daiwa rods were made in Scotland. The cheaper ones were imported, if I remember correctly, from Korea - the same as the cheaper Normarks.

As for colour I'm referring to the multi-coloured transfers or surface paint jobs put on just the butts of many of the cheaper rods.

Many rods these days are made in China, and the Chinese are forging ahead in leaps and bounds. Eventually they'll probably catch up, but it may be a few years before they do so. Of course they may already have done so, but I doubt it, even though I'm a bit out of touch with the tackle trade now.

Chinese rods though are very inexpensive and many represent exceptional value for money. However the mark-ups by the importers are often very high indeed. This especially applies to some of the higher-priced rods that cost the importers little more than the cheaper ones! These I don't consider give good value for money. Indeed, in some cases I suspect that they're made on the same blank as the cheaper rods, with only the colour and fittings being different!!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been reading this thread with great interest- thank you to all contributors. I have come to a few conclusions about the matter.

Firstly, we seem to agree that, to a certain point, you do get what you pay for. Good quality does not come cheap.

Secondly, there is a case of diminishing returns- i.e., after a certain point (say, a hundred quid for a float rod), the more you spend, the less extra you get.

The other thing I have noticed is how everyone seems to think their own rod is the best rod! This is very encouraging in a way, because the implication is that most rods are perfectly good enough, and one is likely to be pleased whatever one purchases.

I have a lovely Rolex watch which I was given for my thirtieth birthday, and which I wear to work and when going out. I also have a £7 Casio digital watch, which I take on holiday, and when I am fishing or gardening, etc. They both tell the time. I guess all rods do a pretty much similar job- and, after all, the fish themselves do not know whether it is a £25 Argos Special, or a £400 Normark that is pulling them in.

The real distinguishing factor is how your rod makes you feel- like my Rolex makes me feel different from my Casio when I am wearing it. I guess it’s a bit of a placebo thing.

We pays our money and we takes our choices. I have decided to buy a Normark Titan II… not because I expect it to be very greatly superior to a Shimano Antares (although I am looking forward to experiencing its lightness), but because I know that I will enjoy the feeling of fishing with a very special and valuable rod.

Fishing, for me, is about pleasure. This is true whether or not I happen to catch any fish. Knowing myself, I expect to experience more pleasure using a rod that is reputed (rightly or wrongly) by many, to be the best. Life is short, and if you add up every single day of your whole life that you spend fishing, it ain’t enough!

Thanks, again, to all who have helped me to come to this decision. This forum is fantastic!

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

Good post Mike.I especially agree with the "diminishing returns" bit.

Top quality/price fly fishing rods (and reels) reflect that exactly.

The point I was making about the loud colours on rods was the same as Steve has underlined (I couldnt spell relitterated reiterated?)!

Newt as always is spot on the UK tackle adds are a joke when it comes to giving usefull information.But they are only catering to what the majority of the market want to read about.

I could discuss the issues of Chinese rods/excessive mark ups/rip off Britain all day but the bottom line is that those who care are mainly in the know about this sort of thing any way and dont get caught out.The sad thing though is that the bulk of people who do allow them selves to be conned/fall for the advertising blurb/follow fashion dont want to know the truth anyway! they are perfectly happy paying well over the top for something that makes them feel good!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

So, after much prevarication (thanks for all your opinions, above), my brand new Normark Titan II 13-14' rod has arrived this morning. At £170, it was a well-haggled price from a reputable dealer on the internet.

Even with my perfectionist eyes, it looks lovely to me- all the rings perfectly aligned, and everything ship-shape.

However, the decals and transfers on the rod are a bit confusing, and I should be grateful for any thoughts you may have...

Firstly, there is a tiny white sticker on the end of the butt which says MADE IN CHINA. Is that right?

Also, the four sections each have this transfer on them:

Titan 3"

...whatever that is supposed to mean.

Lastly, the model reference transfer, near the handle, says:

Titan II 13'-14' NCT13XT

...and I can find no reference to this number anywhere on the web, etc. (the normal number is NCT13X). The XT bit looks like it was added on, as it is not quite aligned with the rest of that bit, and appears 'coarser'.

It looks to me like a legitimate rod, but I admit that the transfers etc., are not quite what I was expecting.

Does this all sound Kosher to you?

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

Mike, I am sure its genuine my 13' Titan II had the made in China sticker on it I believe it is assembled there on the Japanese blank

The Titan II stricly speaking is the third or fourth model of the mark, Their was the original Titan (like Ferrets), then the Titan 1000 then the Titan 2000 and now the Titan II perhaps the Titan 3 refers to that.

Still Ive never woried about decals and cosmetics its the quality of the blank and the rod that counts and if it works then why worry.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Thanks, Tony, for your kind reply.

The reason for the above post was more obsessive interest than concern, as the rod does look 'right', as it were. I am just curious about the markings on it.

However, I am no expert, and I am aware of fake reproductions of expensive goods flooding the internet market (especially through eBay), which are really quite hard to distinguish from the real thing. This happens a great deal with golf equipment. Has anyone come across similar happenings with expensive fishing gear?

Has anyone come across similar happenings with expensive fishing gear?

Kind of Mike! The biggest Ebay tackle scam at the moment is people selling the Daiwa (cant remember the name but its an exact copy of the Musky Inovations one) "Bulldawg" (RRP around £3) as "proper" Bulldawgs that retail around £15 Even at half price they are making a killing!

I use harrison rods nowadays.There is nothing flash about the rods cosmetics.But the performance is absolutely spot on.And they`re British made!! Which is something of a rarity nowadays!!!!!!.

IMHO Harrison rods are probably the best rods you can buy and offer superb value for money.

"Dont **** in the pool,and then tell me you"ve swallowed some water".

IMHO Harrison rods are probably the best rods you can buy.

Youve obviously not used a rod built on a Bruce&Walker blank then? Not cheap but then not mega expensive (the blanks alone any way) I have all types and brands but honestly believe these are the best British built freshwater blanks.