Normark... Could I? Should I?

MikeT

Firstly, there is a tiny white sticker on the end of the butt which says MADE IN CHINA. Is that right?

I wouldn't be surprised if the rod is made in China, a lot of top of the range rods are made there.

I held the new Normarks up against my new Maver Reactolite 12ft float rod that cost £90 and the finish and fitting are identical, I would suspect they came from the same place, I wouldn't be surprised if the same blank were being used for several brands of rod!

This is only my opinion but I was disappointed when I looked at the current Normark rods, I was expecting something special and thought they were no better than rods around the £100 mark produced by company's like MAP, Maver etc.

Ive yet to find a better balanced and more responsive 13 ft float rod that the Milo New Era Powerlight.

Edited by nick_gilbert

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Youve obviously not used a rod built on a Bruce&Walker blank then? Not cheap but then not mega expensive (the blanks alone any way) I have all types and brands but honestly believe these are the best British built freshwater blanks.

Budgie,Bruce and Walker blanks are not to my liking!!!!.I much prefere Harrison.Alot of the B&W blanks were made in a warehouse about 5 miles from my house .My nextdoor neighbour used to work there years ago and when he gave up fishing due to a bad back he gave me 2 of his rods both B&W. SHOCK HORROR..i didn`t like them,bloody horrible action and the quality of the blank was nowhere as good as my harrisons. :schmoll:

"Dont **** in the pool,and then tell me you"ve swallowed some water".

Guest tigger
Well I just took charge of my Normark Microlight and I gotta say it`s the best rod I`ve ever seen or handled.Cant wait to try it out tomorrow.

DS

As I've said I have a Microlite and contrary to some comments on this thread I think the Normarks still rule the roost!

Actually I'm considering buying the Normark Avenger for those slightly heavier lines.

I had a little chat with a manufacturer today (not fishing rods)

At a selling price of £170.00 there would be £30.00 VAT.

So we are down to £140.00

Dealer probably wants a 50% markup, so we are down to £70.00

Importer/ Normark also want a 50% markup, so we are down to £35.00

£5.00 to whip and finish the blank £30.00

Fittings about £8.00, down to £23.00

Blank manufacturer wants 50% so blank probably cost about a Tenner!

Is there a flaw in that argument, or did the blank cost even less?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I tried my new Normark Titan II on Saturday, on the River Stour at Sturminster Newton.

Words fail me.

Its one of the best fishing experiences I have ever had (and I didn't even catch much).

What a lovely rod!

Now I need a centrepin reel...

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

Den, the top of the range Normarks were made in Japan by Diamura. IMO these are the Rolls Royce of float rods. They can make hollow tips so fine and even that spliced tips aren't needed.

Yes, at full price they're expensive, but so is a Roll's Royce! At the Tacklebargains price I consider them very good value for money.

I've owned several Normarks, and also made up rods for customers on Normark blanks when for a relatively short time they were available. I can't recall ever having one come back broken.

The more expensive Daiwa rods were made in Scotland. The cheaper ones were imported, if I remember correctly, from Korea - the same as the cheaper Normarks.

As for colour I'm referring to the multi-coloured transfers or surface paint jobs put on just the butts of many of the cheaper rods.

Many rods these days are made in China, and the Chinese are forging ahead in leaps and bounds. Eventually they'll probably catch up, but it may be a few years before they do so. Of course they may already have done so, but I doubt it, even though I'm a bit out of touch with the tackle trade now.

Chinese rods though are very inexpensive and many represent exceptional value for money. However the mark-ups by the importers are often very high indeed. This especially applies to some of the higher-priced rods that cost the importers little more than the cheaper ones! These I don't consider give good value for money. Indeed, in some cases I suspect that they're made on the same blank as the cheaper rods, with only the colour and fittings being different!!

Hi Steve you seem to know a lot about rods shame your rod company went bust?