Normark... Could I? Should I?

MikeT

You are always better going for the one you actually want yourself, you'll hate yourself, and the said item, if you don't. If there's not much difference in price, then what are you waiting for? As for weight, the difference may seem big, couple of ounces, but it's all about balance, so depends as much on the reel you are going to be using. Not many people try the rod and reel together before buying, and also, when considering trotting, the reel seat needs to be just right. You really have got to go for the one that you want, and that'll suit the style of fishing you'll be doing. The Shimano is built to fill as many gaps as possible, because remember, most will be sold for the stew ponds, targeting carp. I find mine perfect for Tench, Roach, Perch, and I love trotting with it too.

But I still say it's the best looking rod out there.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a good point from Ducktape. I brought my MAPS because I could buy them at trade but still wish I had replaced my Normarks or rather hadn't got rid of them in the first place! Once youve got something in your head go for it!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Its like comparing an Aston with a Ferrari, its all down to personal preference, but I think the Normark edges it on performance if not on cost, as for looks I like the understated style of the Normark but one man's meat as they say!

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Action, length, balance, build quality I understand but does having a really, really pretty rod help you?

I would not think the fish cared much one way or the other.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Action, length, balance, build quality I understand but does having a really, really pretty rod help you?

I agree that the practical considerations are the most important but when your spending a fair amount of money you might as well have something that you find pleasing to look at as well?

All that highly coloured air brushing that was all the rage (er with the manufacturers anyway) for a few years was an absolute eye sore to me! Any rod that I brought that had it on got a quick rubbing down with wet and dry! Didnt catch me any more or any less fish but certainly added to my enjoyment.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest Ferret1959

Normark any day.

I bought one off TonyU and love it for chubbing on a narrow river down the lane from me.

Even a 3 pound chub with a foot of flood water helping him get away wasn't a problem for my/Tonys Normark. :D

I happened to be looking at the new Normarks yesterday in a local tackle shop as I was thinking of buying one and to be honnest if you took the price tag off and logo they didn't feel anything special.

I have handled rods less than half the price that had a better feel and balance, the Drennan DRX Ultralight Waggler being one, the new 13-15ft Drennan Floatmaster, Also the Milo New Era Powerlight (although this rod is no longer made),

I happened to be looking at the new Normarks yesterday in a local tackle shop as I was thinking of buying one and to be honnest if you took the price tag off and logo they didn't feel anything special.

I have handled rods less than half the price that had a better feel and balance, the Drennan DRX Ultralight Waggler being one, the new 13-15ft Drennan Floatmaster, Also the Milo New Era Powerlight (although this rod is no longer made),

No the back up service is crap since masterline took over the company. :blink:

atb

malc

The best attribute you can have in fishing is confidence. Without it you are lost. If what you have pleases you, and helps you want to fish, then that can be no bad thing. There are worse things to spend your money on!! Sounds like you have your mind made up anyway, so just go for it.

I'd also like to add that I am actually a fan of the Normark rods, I think they have made some excellent pieces of kit over the years, I just feel that they have lost something in the last couple of years, but I don't know what.

Anybody read AT this week? Keith Arthur has been talking about the discrepancies in real world prices = RRP. To my mind, RRP is just hype, trying to make it out to be a bargain. He rightly points out that the manufactures should be reported to Trading Standards. The RRP of the Normark is just unreal, is there any need for it, and would somebody actually pay that?

No the back up service is crap since masterline took over the company. :blink:

Right, NOW I understand!!!!!

If what you have pleases you, and helps you want to fish, then that can be no bad thing. There are worse things to spend your money on!! Sounds like you have your mind made up anyway, so just go for it.

Hiya Ducktape. I like to fish and I want to fish. My rods are simply tools that allow me to do that and if a particular rod is well suited to a style of fishing I want to do, then it pleases me.

Maybe I am just an old barbarian to not worry about how a rod looks. I have noticed from reading some UK tackle catalogs that many (most?) rod listings spend more time on the rod's appearance than the performance specs. I didn't understand that either.

Good enough, I suppose, to describe how great the finish is but I normally want details on # & construction of rings, the specific glass or/and carbon used in the blank, speed & style of action, recommended line B/S & casting weight, that sort of thing. I assume that any decent factory rod will have a smooth finish & whipping colour that blends well with the blank colour.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President