Centerpin Fishing

Markie

I due to take delivery of a brand new Chris Lythe pin :)

I've never used a pin before and i've waited for 2 years to get mine from Chris, I've probably gone totally overboard buying off Chris as a newbie but I loved the look of the M.M. Special and just had to have one.

Thing is how tricky are pins to use and can you lot give me some advice to make my pin a dream reel and not a nightmare???

Edited by Markie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one honestly dont think they are hard to get used to/use at all! For the style of fishing most buy them for ie trotting I think they actually make getting it right easier than a fixed spool or closed face.

Casting a long way (25m+) takes a bit of learning but really you are using the wrong reel if you need to fish this far out.Simpley taking a loop or two of line puts the float out far enough for most trotting situations.

Playing a fish is simplicity itself,even more so if you are used to backwinding rather than relying on a clutch.

Maintainance is also simple.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

read this brief article and check out the links to some great articles and info on casting techniques .you will have to learn how to set the drag ,but theres not a lot to learn really,try to learn the loop (nottingham) cast first or the side cast then progress onto the wallis,don't worry about casting great distaces remember the fish will come to your feed,and start with a heavier float as it'll help with casting but you'll soon pick it all up.

your reel is already a dream reel for some of us,it'll always be a dream unless my lottery numbers come up

i hope you have many pleasurable days fishing with it.

m_m_4.jpg

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Well if you send it to me for a while I'll run it in for you!

Beat me to it Mat! I was going to kindly offer to swop it for one of my old Mitchells if Markie didnt get on with it!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I'm just back from Canada where I used the pin for carp. I normally cast by drawing loops off from the 1st two rings.

A local angler saw this and then showed me a cast they use there when using "mooching" reels(similar reel so I'm told). This involved positioning the left hand around 18" from the reel in line with the spindle and letting the line fly over your fingers as the cast was made. Took some getting used to but worked very well. Is this what is known here as a "side cast" or is this something else? I ask because I've never seen such a cast described before over here.

Jim.

Beat me to it Mat! I was going to kindly offer to swop it for one of my old Mitchells if Markie didnt get on with it!

Hell I'd swap it for one of my Youngs reels! I've been toying with the idea of ordering a Chris Lythe reel for a while now, but I'm just too impatient to wait 18months+ for a new toy!

Mat

Mat

In my opinion, and certainly for the spate rivers I fish the 'pin on in winter time, a top quality pair of chest waders are an important piece of equipment to have. Wearing them more often than not means I can wade out to my chosen run and hence, there is no real need to cast any distance. Simply reel in at the end of the trot to the rod top and run the float down again......Just got to find the ideal maggot sling now. I've tried/own loads but am not totally happy with any of them.

Paul

Loads more here...

http://www.barbel.co.uk/site/articles/pin/...n_bfwstyle2.htm

Includes a link to Glenn aka Spindle demonstrating The Wallis Cast and lots more besides...

C.

PS - Elton - Wallis cast clip used to be on AN - link appears to be broken now....

Edited by Chris Plumb

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog