John Wilson Barbel Rod

The Flying Tench

I was thinking of getting a barbel rod for Christmas, and wondered if the JW is any good?

My JW Avon Quiver doesn't have a 2 ft extension, but the Barbel Rod ('Target' I think) does. Does anyone know if it would also fit the Avon Quiver?

john clarke

they are different size blanks and are not interchangable , i have the avon / quiver (green with extention) and the barbel quiver (green with extention),i beleave they have introduced a new version which is the more costomary gray blank but is still made on the same mandrils.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

John

I can't comment on the JW rod as I've never played with one but I do give the thumbs up to the Wychwood 1.75lb barbel rod, its one fantastic blank. A proper all through Avon type action and plenty of low down power and a nice soft tip for bite detection(mind you most bite indication from barbel is a four inch movement in the butt and a lunge to grab the rod before it zooms downriver)

As a measure of its versatility it also doubles up as my lads pike rod and is als good for fishing livebaits with and the best fish he's had this year so far is a 17lb 15oz pike on it (must learn how to attach pics)

Guest tigger
I was thinking of getting a barbel rod for Christmas, and wondered if the JW is any good?

My JW Avon Quiver doesn't have a 2 ft extension, but the Barbel Rod ('Target' I think) does. Does anyone know if it would also fit the Avon Quiver?

What about the Ron Tompson B52? Argyll thought highly of it in a critique he did a few months back.

I've hear off a few friends it's a really good rod and a very reasnable price also.

Seen as how this has turned into a thread of alternative rods you could use John, could I suggest the Shimano Nexave Barbel classic. It's a top rod with a 1.5 quiver tip & a 1.75 beefed up tip, I've just had my second 10lb Barbel off the Swale last night ( this is just an excuse to tell you all really :lol: ) on the quiver tip, & I'm beginning to wonder whether or not I'm ever going to use the beastie tip!

You can get it for around £75 & it has a lovely through action to it, but its not sloppy when you need to lean into a fish. The through action means it doubles up nicely for Chub as well.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

they are different size blanks and are not interchangable , i have the avon / quiver (green with extention) and the barbel quiver (green with extention),i beleave they have introduced a new version which is the more costomary gray blank but is still made on the same mandrils.

And do you find the barbel rod good? People have recommended lots of differnet rods, which is great but I don't know which way to turn! I already have a JW Avon Quiver (an old version) which I like, and I guess if the barbel rod is good I'll probably go for it. Thanks folks for the other suggestions all the same!

john clarke

its a good rod but a bit on the soft side (the green blank model) thats why i use mine for roaming and stalking ect i have used it to fish a method feeder in matches but prefer a more progressive action which i find easier to cast bigger weights with.the reel seat isn't universal to all reels but most modern reels fit.i don't use the quiver section or its quivers that often.my main barbel rod is a Pantera barbel rod from dragoncarp its a more progressive action and comes with three tops a 1.75lb,1.5lb & a quiver section not bad for a rod that only costs £40 mainly use it with the 1.75lb top as i mainly fish the trent and it coped well with a 5oz lead on a flooded trent .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve