Circle Hooks

Elton

Elton - for times when you want a fairly large piece of bait and the action of a circle hook, a kahle pattern is probably a better solution.

Google image search for kahle hook will show you some examples. The wire size needs to be a little larger than with a circle since the design is not quite as strong but the action of the hook is very similar. They also give you good lip/scissors hookups with no need to strike but tend to grab slightly deeper than a true circle although still in the mouth rather than in the gut.

If you want to try some, I'll pick up a pack next time I'm at BassPro and send it along with the DVD of monster truck racing that I have ready but not yet mailed.

Oh never mind - I'll just send them anyway.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers, Newt. That'd be fantastic.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Not wishing to derail, or hijack the thread, but be careful with Kahle hooks.

Most of my US friends have stopped using them, due to the high incidence of gut hooked fish.

They are good at catching fish, but make safe release very difficult.

The hook point is pointed towards the eye of the hook and not the shank, also the distance between the point and the shaft is much greater than with a circle hook, these are the reasons given for causing this problem.

I bought some back to the UK some years ago and had the same problem, so I reverted to circle hooks for fish and squid baits.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Not wishing to derail, or hijack the thread, but be careful with Kahle hooks.

Most of my US friends have stopped using them, due to the high incidence of gut hooked fish.

They are good at catching fish, but make safe release very difficult.

The hook point is pointed towards the eye of the hook and not the shank, also the distance between the point and the shaft is much greater than with a circle hook, these are the reasons given for causing this problem.

I bought some back to the UK some years ago and had the same problem, so I reverted to circle hooks for fish and squid baits.

Cranfield, note you use squid on your circles, have problems getting a whole squid to work with circles. I have penalled a couple of 6/0s top hook in the top (pointed) end of the purse and the bottom hook nip the skirt and head, thats just nipped so the hook can rotate? But seems a bit hit and miss, I wonder if my leaning (not a strike) into the fish is pulling the hook out? Unfortunately have not been able to try much this year :( Looking forward to November, should be getting back to normal by then? ;)

Cliff

When using circle hooks, I go a few sizes above my usual "J" hook size.

For squid baits I use an 8/0 or 10/0 circle hook and don't try to hide the hook, as you tend to with a "J" hook.

I don't pennel rig and am quite happy to have the squid just hanging there.

If you haven't got to cast a long way, its not a problem.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Interesting info Cranfield. I've used the Kahle pattern (although usually the ones Gamakatsu call 'Shiner' hooks) when I needed more bait than I wanted to put on a circle and had good luck with them.

Catfishing mostly so there could easily be issues with other species that I just haven't seen but deep hooking has not been a problem.

I tend to prefer what they term an 'up eye'

shiner_20.gif

rather than the more usual pattern.

shiner_19.gif

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Elton - picked up a packet of 1/0, 3/0, 5/0 kahle-pattern hooks to send along. They also had sizes to 10/0 but all of them from 6/0 and larger were in packs of 50 hooks which didn't seem reasonable unless you figure out that the shape is good for you.

Eagle Claw calls the larger versions a 'King Kahle' and at $16 for a pack of 50, they should be fairly easy on the budget.

I'll have them in the mail to you later this week.

When using circle hooks, I go a few sizes above my usual "J" hook size.

For squid baits I use an 8/0 or 10/0 circle hook and don't try to hide the hook, as you tend to with a "J" hook.

I don't pennel rig and am quite happy to have the squid just hanging there.

If you haven't got to cast a long way, its not a problem.

I've often thought that the equivelant size circle hook compared to a J hook (for example 6/0) always looks to be smaller, so what you say Cranfield makes sense, probably best to go a wee bit bigger than you would normally.

Scott

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

I've often thought that the equivelant size circle hook compared to a J hook (for example 6/0) always looks to be smaller, so what you say Cranfield makes sense, probably best to go a wee bit bigger than you would normally.

Scott

Talking to Mike a 'UK' hooks, he says simply, the hook must fit the bait, large and exposed so that it can do its job and turn. Makes sense, I think we sea anglers are a bit to fussy on behalf of the fish we are seeking. Offering neat parcels to the fish, they are not used to such delicacies, especially the opportunist and scavenger types.

A standard 6/0 'J' hook will catch in my area from a boat, 2lb codling, schoolie bass, pout, doggies. I have had whiting and flounder as well. So there seems no reason why larger 8/0-10/0 will not work perfectly well on fairly average size fish? The problem I have is with the wire thickness of these larger size circle hooks, you cold hang a side of beef on them :lol: Makes the hook heavy, and therefore I would suspect in smaller tides may have an effect on bait presentation??? I wonder :g:

All to be tried out over the next few months, then see how they work on the 2007 bass, and very small hooks for sole. The 'upside' of not having fished for nearly 6 months is, I'm getting a little excited :fishing: Working on the boat is becoming feverish, hoped I'd finish this past weekend, :( but its going into next week :lol: and then :thumbs:

Hazel's laying down some of her mild curry flavoured pasties, I recon thats the only reason my crew come, for the Hazel type pasties a sausage rolls and proper 'teapot type, builders tea'! Back up if we run out is Morrison's 'peppered steak pastie', all hot and steaming on a cold winters day. I'm just putting the finishing touches to a shelter on KT so we can fish in comfort, tuck in out of the rain and wind, lovely, + two new folded strip lights to iluminate the cockpit, so that we can do some night fishing.

Exciting prospects this winter, all we need are a few fish, :unsure:

CJS2 Cliff :ph34r:

Elton - picked up a packet of 1/0, 3/0, 5/0 kahle-pattern hooks to send along. They also had sizes to 10/0 but all of them from 6/0 and larger were in packs of 50 hooks which didn't seem reasonable unless you figure out that the shape is good for you.

Eagle Claw calls the larger versions a 'King Kahle' and at $16 for a pack of 50, they should be fairly easy on the budget.

I'll have them in the mail to you later this week.

Cheers, Newt :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE