• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi I went to see a Prowler 13 and I was a bit concerned with the front hatch

1. is it water tight in normal conditions

2. and what happens if you capsize could/would it fill up with water

thank you :)

Hi YD

I wondered this when I looked at one! I also noticed that on my original scupper, it had a similar hatch with the single seal around the hatch. When I replaced it with a NZ newer model, it had seals on both the rim AND the hatch!. This new design has been tested by myself (on purpose honest!) and accidently in Jersey (you know who you are ha ha) and does not let a drop of water in anywhere!. I am sure I have seen an upgrade kit for this on a US site!

Cheers

SDD~~~~~~~ :sun:

Edited by SeaDooDavid

Hi,

During normal conditions I have never had any water get into the body of the kayak (when the yak is the right way up.) I can't say the same for the so called waterproof hatch between my knees. This always seems to let in a cc or two even when I make sure the seals are clean and the cover well tightened. Almost been caught out a couple of times with my electric key fob for the car paddling around in the bottom.

With the front hatch, the only time I have had any water in is when I capsized messing around in the surf (without fishing gear!) Even then only a cupful got in.

Hi,

During normal conditions I have never had any water get into the body of the kayak (when the yak is the right way up.) I can't say the same for the so called waterproof hatch between my knees. This always seems to let in a cc or two even when I make sure the seals are clean and the cover well tightened. Almost been caught out a couple of times with my electric key fob for the car paddling around in the bottom.

With the front hatch, the only time I have had any water in is when I capsized messing around in the surf (without fishing gear!) Even then only a cupful got in.

Doesn't sound a problem that :) Wouldn't bother me unless a LOT of water got in!.

SDD~~~~~~~ :sun:

I managed to get some water inside but this was after doing a washing machine impression in the surf and i don't think i had tightened down the front hatch perhaps as well as it could have been. i may be doing some more impromptu tests this weekend :) if i do i'll report the results.

Edited by snakey1

Hi,

I can't say the same for the so called waterproof hatch between my knees. This always seems to let in a cc or two even when I make sure the seals are clean and the cover well tightened. Almost been caught out a couple of times with my electric key fob for the car paddling around in the bottom.

Tell me about it ----I ruined the electric key thingy on the company van by storing it in the centre hatch :wallbash:

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

Tell me about it ----I ruined the electric key thingy on the company van by storing it in the centre hatch :wallbash:

One good tip I got / use is~~~~~~BALLS!

Beach balls that is! ha ha :lol: I am lucky in that my yak takes in no water at all (so far ha ha) but being the eternal scardey-cat that I am, I bought a load of cheapie beach balls from the pound shop type jobby (2 for a quid!) and partly inflate them, then cram them in around any stuff stored inside the yak. They mould to the inside and if you need to stop stuff rattling around, then inflate a little more and squeeze em in!. Even when nothing in the hatches I pack them in!. With all the tackle going against the inherent bouyancy of the yak, I reckon this can only help. Also good for a game of footie if yer bored!! :lol::yeah:

SDD~~~~~ :sun:

Hi,

Blimey, you need a small 2ltr dry bag for car keys and phone.