PAC FURY OVER NUDD'S CALL FOR PIKE CULL

Elton

Well you must be correct then Dave, but I have a question for you,in fact for all of you,

If match anglers kill so many Pike........ why are there so many of them ?according to Bob Nudd that is !

coz if you kill a number of pike you will end up with even more (smaller) pike....thought that was a well known fact :P

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a look in todays Angling Times Budgie, Bob has explained what happened in there, interestingly ,I do not think Bob Nudd had his usual column in the N.O.T.W. on Sunday either!

Bob was mis-represented ....no doubt at all about it, but what still angers me is the feeling by non match anglers that match anglers will murder innocent Pike because it says to do so in the N.O.T.W. allegedly endorsed by Bob Nudd.....just how low an opinion of match anglers is there among the angling fraternity? thats a rhetorical question before anyone decides to try to wind me up.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

some people are just too damn pig headed, on a number of occasions ive pointed out to people who say they kill pike because they devestate the place (their own words) ive educated them that they are benefitial to waters and they still have none of it even when proved entirley wrong about there asumptions i get "i dont care ill still kill the Ba**ards"

no ammount of education will make people like this listen and its even worse when someone well known starts spouting it adding fuel to the fire of the other pig headed anglers who kill pike because apparently pike just go on huge killing sprees :schmoll: and why, because they have sharp teeth and eat other fish. so do ferrox,sharks, perch, and another number of predators.

alrighty im done ranting.. next please :yeah:

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

some people are just too damn pig headed, on a number of occasions ive pointed out to people who say they kill pike because they devestate the place (their own words) ive educated them that they are benefitial to waters and they still have none of it even when proved entirley wrong about there asumptions i get "i dont care ill still kill the Ba**ards"

no ammount of education will make people like this listen and its even worse when someone well known starts spouting it adding fuel to the fire of the other pig headed anglers who kill pike because apparently pike just go on huge killing sprees :schmoll: and why, because they have sharp teeth and eat other fish. so do ferrox,sharks, perch, and another number of predators.

alrighty im done ranting.. next please :yeah:

bob,

i said very early on in the piece that i dont remember the last time that i saw this happen, it was probably when i was about ten, so nearly 25 years ago.

the fact is though that predominantly the guys that will read nob budds column will be match or pleasure anglers, with a high proportion being novices or beginners. as with all forms of learning, what you are taught by those with influence has its highest impact in your formative years.

i accept that bob was misquoted, but you say that nob budd retracted that in the angling times today. sorry but that is completely untrue. the AT report was lifted from nob budds website, the same old crap that was written AGAIN by someone else.

its not just the throw them up the bank brigade that this will appeal to, but those guys that put out a sleeper pike rod whilst doing something else, usually without the proper means of bite detection.

if bob didnt say it, thats fine, BUT COME OUT DEFINITIVELY IN PRINT AND SAY SO. <_<

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

Mark you wrote;

"the fact is though that predominantly the guys that will read nob budds column will be match or pleasure anglers, with a high proportion being novices or beginners. as with all forms of learning, what you are taught by those with influence has its highest impact in your formative years."

You state this as "Fact" Mark ...when in reality it is only your opinion , how many real anglers actually read the News of the World for their fishing tips and guidance? I would suggest very ,very few...do not make the mistake of thinking ...because you think it ....it must be fact....the two are very different.

Mark you wrote;

"the fact is though that predominantly the guys that will read nob budds column will be match or pleasure anglers, with a high proportion being novices or beginners. as with all forms of learning, what you are taught by those with influence has its highest impact in your formative years."

You state this as "Fact" Mark ...when in reality it is only your opinion , how many real anglers actually read the News of the World for their fishing tips and guidance? I would suggest very ,very few...do not make the mistake of thinking ...because you think it ....it must be fact....the two are very different.

With all due respect, I think your reply just corroborated what mark barrett just said: not many "real" anglers turn to the News of the World to get their angling guidance, any that did happen to read it would take what is said with a large dose of salt, as I think this thread has shown.

Those that do take their guidance from the Screws (or rather use it to cofirm their own preconcieved opinions and prejudices) will be the casual, perhaps already ill-informed angler who thinks "oh yeah, I always though it was those f**king pike that made me blank, I'm going to smash its head in next time I catch one." Those people are the real danger, which is why it is all the more unfortunate that it was printed in the News of the World. It would have been better if it was originally printed in the Angling Times, then at least he would have been laughed out of town, as people reading that publication presumably have much better knowledge of fisheries and ecosystems, and he would have prompted some pretty swift rebuttals within the AT from those who knew what they were talking about!

I realise you feel backed into a corner here a bit as perhaps the sole defender of matchmen but I think you need to accept that (however nice a guy he is, and however accurate he has been in the past) Nudd has made a mistake and should unconditionally apologise.

On the contrary LJ I do not feel backed into a corner at all, I have every confidence that my fellow match men will not suddenly become raving Pike murderers because of a small article in a Sunday rag, as for apologies perhaps some of the posters on this thread could start the ball rolling and rescind their ridiculous claims to the contrary, this whole "debate" is now bordering on the farcical fueled by anglers with a hidden agenda against match anglers, as for the inexperienced angler picking up and acting on the alleged words of Bob Nudd....how can they even know who he is?

This whole sorry episode has been blown up out of all proportion by experienced anglers that really should know better.