No tv licence.

Guest Ferret1959

Guest Ferret1959

Not had a tv licence since March and told the TV folk I wasn't getting one after loads of reminders.

They kept saying they would sent a person out to check up on me but no one has shown. :(

Do they actually carry out thier threats or is it just to put the frighteners on folk? :angry:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.marmalade.net/lime/

you might find this info handy ,

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

they will be around and nowadays even not having a tv is a get out if you have a pc that connects to the net.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Guest Ferret1959
they will be around and nowadays even not having a tv is a get out if you have a pc that connects to the net.

Taken from http://www.marmalade.net/lime/faq.html#how

. . . I do not have any sort of television receiver (that includes a TV tuner-card in my computer) would TV Licensing™ still be concerned that I should have a TV Licence?

In earlier editions of this FAQ I had said:

Yes. This is one of the more ridiculous things that I have heard. If you watch BBC live broadcasts over the Internet via streaming media with RealPlayer etc in the UK you are committing an offence if you do not have a television licence. That means, a person in the UK watching the news from the BBC with RealPlayer over the Internet (with no form of television receiver, just a computer and some sort of network connection) who does not have a television licence is liable to a fine of up to £1,000. Strangely, if you are outside the UK, you don't need a licence.

I've since heard [December 2002] that PC vendors in the UK, like Dixons and PC World, are now obliged to inform TV Licensing™ if they sell a PC with broadband capability. This TV Licensing™ claim is within the definition of receiving of receiving equipment under the Wireless Telegraphy Act of 1949. The fact that there was no such thing as a personal computer or broadband in 1949 does not seem to trouble them in the least.

But now it has got even worse:

Up until the 31st March 2004, the use of television receiving equipment within the UK to receive television broadcasts originating from outside of the UK did not need a television licence. It was not a requirement to pay the licence fee to receive any such broadcast. Now, that's all changed. Reception of a TV broadcast originating outside the UK does require a licence.

Considering this change in the law one can only assume that this will, as before, be considered to apply also to streaming-media. So in the UK, not only can you now NOT watch the BBC broadcasts over the Internet without a licence but you can't legally watch a streaming-media broadcast from anywhere else either (unless you have a UK TV licence). Of course, if you are outside the UK you can enjoy all of these services – even those funded by the UK licence payer – free, gratis and for nothing. And, of course, I'm talking about UK domestic services made available to the world via the Internet and NOT those made available by the BBC World Service. The World Service is funded separately – NOT by the licence fee (see below).

At this point, stop and consider what this means. Unlike broadcasts over the air, Internet transmissions have a cost to the sender (BBC) for each viewer/listener using that service. In the case of Internet radio it is about 23p/hour for each user – I don't have a figure for Internet TV. So, this isn't just allowing others to use what's there anyway – it is actively giving away licence-payer funded resources to people abroad. Clearly this double-standard is very wrong and yet no one seems to notice and, even worse when the point is raised, no one seems to care.

. . . If I buy a television or video recorder the dealer is under legal obligation to provide my details to TV Licensing™. Is this true of anything else?

Yes. I have heard this is true (for some retailers at least) in the case of DVD players even if the DVD player does not incorporate a tuner. If you play DVDs on a dedicated player TV Licensing™, presumably, reason you must be using a television set to display them and are thus a potential source of revenue. This is a hopeful assumption on TV Licensing™'s part as it is my understanding that a licence is only required to RECEIVE broadcasts. Possession of a television set, or even the use of a detuned television set to view recorded material does not require a licence.

I'm receiving an increasing number of reports that electrical and computer suppliers are sending name and address information to TV Licensing™ on the purchase of almost anything. Here is an example.

As the BBC becomes more involved in providing services over the Internet (for example their proposed Internet offering "FreeBand" for broadband users) one can expect them to increase their, already, agressive revenue-raising activities. The reporting of the purchase of a wider variety of computer equipment to TV Licensing™ is likely to become increasingly common.

Guest Ferret1959
so if you buy anything that you think will be reported on to tv licencing...pay with cash, and put your address down as that of another family member who does have a tv licence. :)

That's fine if you are dodging paying for a licence but I don't watch my television other than watching videos and dvd.:)

Mind you I did tell them this and have been honest since doing so.

I understand from what they tell me watching live broadcast via the web is a requirement for a licence.

Good job I don't watch anything live apart from webcams....................but do I need a licence for those????????

your getting it wrong the licence is for equiptment "capable" of recieving ,not whether its used or not ;) you may not have a telly at all but a video is "capable" of recieving thus a tv licence is needed.

you may get around it with a mini dvd player that does not have an internal tv tuner but the grey area comes if you have a video player (rather than a recorder) this "could" play videos from a video recorder so your still watching a broadcast. (the same goes for dvd's)

just you posting on here proves you "could" watch a broadcast as your pc is connected to the internet and the bbc and the rest provides streaming programes whether you watch them or not.

so in reality its not a tv licence but a tv recieving licence .

its far harder to regulate today with streaming and the internet ,i think those cookies that tried to plant themselves on my pc over the last year are a government ploy to catch non tv owners but internet capable owners of pc's ;)

if your firewall isnt high enough you may not notice them but they started "reporting.tvlicence.com" or letters to that effect ,i posted about them ages ago

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i can get AXN but its rather foreign (well the sound anyway) :P