No tv licence.

Guest Ferret1959

Do license inspectors have any right to enter ones property to check if they have a tv?

Not without a warrant, and you are quite within your rights to deny these people access to your property

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to add to this.

Don't know how true it is, but i was told that a guy up the road from me never paid for a licence, He had no TV.

An inspector called to check him out, was invited into the house and he found no TV.

He then left. A few minutes later he returned asking the guy if the car in the garden was his. He replied YES. The inspector then said that he had noted there was a radio in the car, and therefore he needed a licence to operate it, as it was a receiver and a licence is required.

Seems a bit OTT to me but apparently a licence not only allows you to receive TV programmes at home, but also allows you to listen to radio in your car etc.

Not so sure. I believe the radio receiving license was abolished in 1971. Searching is hard because of amateur radio licensing, but I found this on wikepedia under television licences for UK :

A similar licence, mandated by the 1904 Wireless Telegraphy Act, used to exist for radios, but was abolished in 1971. Therefore, those who only listen to radio and have no television receiving equipment no longer have to pay a licence fee.

Don't know if it HAS been covered?? BUT there are I know in the valley above Halifax where certain addresses CANNOT receive ANY form of TV Broadcast at all! BUT they are STILL required to have a licence if they have a TV or any appartaus CABABLE of receiving a broadcast. Even if they can't??!! Yes bloody double dutch, but from experience some very good frinds of ours were fined for having a TV even though no broadcast COULD be received!!

Now work THAT ONE OUT!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Not so sure. I believe the radio receiving license was abolished in 1971. Searching is hard because of amateur radio licensing, but I found this on wikepedia under television licences for UK :

A similar licence, mandated by the 1904 Wireless Telegraphy Act, used to exist for radios, but was abolished in 1971. Therefore, those who only listen to radio and have no television receiving equipment no longer have to pay a licence fee.

when i first started metal detecting you needed a "pipe finders" licence under the telegraphy act but as it (along with the dog licence) cost more to issue than it raised in revenue it was dropped ,unfortunately the tv licence brings in a fair bit of money and whilst it does it will remain for ever :angry:

although the bbc grab it all its a tax on recievers rather than broadcasts ,it should go ! remember its just a few years when a fridge was considered as a luxery not a neccesity.

remember on purchasing a tv your name and address is mandatory whatever its use ,if there was a get out by stating you didnt recieve anything ofcourse no one would receive anything ;)

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Let me assure you that detector vans are very much in use, just that these days it might just be a plain white van. Finding out if you have a telly on is easy. The local oscillator in your TV always runs at 39.5Mhz above the frequency being watched on the telly. If I can detect a radio emission of 793.75Mhz coming out of your house, I just need to subtract 39.5Mhz. This will give me 754.25Mhz I know that this is channel 56 (751.25Mhz-757.25Mhz) which just happens to be BBC1

Oscillator schmossilator :) It's all bull put about by the BBC for the last 50years to scare the great unwashed into buying a license. The local oscillator on a modern TV puts out about -82dBm from the aerial. Now that may well be detectable if you are standing on the roof two metres from and in line with an aerial but it sure as hell isn't detectable with enough directionality for someone sitting in a van at ground level to say "Number 27 is watching Eastenders." Especially not when the whole street is watching the same program, emitting the same radiation. I believe they DID have the technology to detect sets 20 years ago but I seriously doubt if they still can. Why would they bother? Just assume everyone has a set and use the database.