The good old days ...Whitby

mr motorola

i've been doing some rummaging around while i've been away and found one of the whitby tide table books, and found that the size of fish landed from the port is phenominal!

i've also seen that some of the boats are no longer.

any of you guys got any info on the ones who are no longer?

CYANITA / SEA ROMA

front.jpg

zx.jpg

Edited by mr motorola

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can only go back to 1994 visualy, before that we never carried cameras.

Take a look HERE

Kev, the skipper of the Gannet has now got Heartbeat which used to be Stu Johnsons Sea Trek. B)

now thats what we want john , absolutely brill ....got any more lads ???????

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009

now thats what we want john , absolutely brill ....got any more lads ???????

Going back to 1982 i worked on sea trek with stuart we both worked for john grayson who passed away a few years ago john owned sea trek and another 2 boats and we all worked together at times dont ask what the fishing was like in them days because it will put anything to shame what you catch these days.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest challenge

Have got some photos somewhere of when I was taking anglers with me dad back in 72 will try and dig them out and get them Scand.

Also have a photo somewhere of Erick Wilson (Whitby angling supplies) presenting me with a trophy for fishing back in 1970.

i've been doing some rummaging around while i've been away and found one of the whitby tide table books, and found that the size of fish landed from the port is phenominal!

i've also seen that some of the boats are no longer.

any of you guys got any info on the ones who are no longer?

CYANITA / SEA ROMA

Hi Carl,

Looking through your list, and to the best of my knowledge (with apologies if I have spelt names incorrectly):

The ‘Sea Trek’ of those days is now the ‘Heartbeat’. Stuart Johnson got the new Sea Trek, and Kevin Buick replaced the ‘Gannet’ with the Heartbeat. The ‘Gannet’ went into commercial fishing in Whitby, and then was sold away.

‘Sea Roma’ got into debt and was repossessed by Scarborough Borough Council and sold off to cover her debt. Steve Goodwill gave up chartering and moved to Bridlington.

‘Guide Me’ was decommissioned and went into the ownership of Hartlepool Maritime Museum. However, due to gross incompetence on the administrative side, and our government’s outrageous and destructive policies, she had to be cut up. I replaced the ‘Guide Me’ with the ‘Achates’, then the ‘Achates’ with the ‘Chieftain’. Russ Porritt now operates the ‘Achates’.

‘Kingfisher’ was renamed ‘Skylark’. She is now painted yellow and takes harbour trips. Wayne Wisson now drives a taxi, and Paul ‘Dolly’ Eddon moved onto the ‘Heather of Burnham’ and then to the ‘Trot-On’.

‘Harvester’ went to Bridlington to work commercially. Jimmy ‘Young Bant’ Ebdon eventually finished commercial fishing and chartering.

‘Pentland Wave’, ‘North Star’, ‘Moonlighter’ and ‘Gina St Belle’ were sold away. I don’t know where.

‘Cyanita’ was eventually sold to the Shetlands to work commercially. George Tabour went into the security business, but has since died. Graham ‘Moose’ Liley bought the boat, and it continued to operate as a charter boat and gill netter before he resold it a few years later.

‘Heather of Burnham’ was sold into private ownership in Hartlepool.

‘Well Spring’ was sold to Scotland to fish commercially. She now operates under a different name, and I believe was recently for sale again. Tony retired out of fishing.

‘Toiler’ was sold into private use in Whitby. She is now painted up in Leeds United colours and called ‘Super Leeds’. Brian Marsden retired.

More boats have come and gone since those days, like ‘Wandrin’ Star’, ‘Enterprise’, ‘Mermaid’, ‘Cedan’, ‘Valdee’, and ‘Ocean Venture’.

As you know, a few new-to-Whitby charter boats have been added in recent years, but sadly, on the whole, the charter business in Whitby has gone into a severe decline.

JB

John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby

http://www.chieftaincharters.com

Festival winner Ken Buckingham with his 45 lb 11oz cod taken on Shy Torque. I dont know the year. The picture belongs Rich ward on Shytorque and can be viewd with many others at www.wcsa.co.uk

kenfestivalwinner-2.jpg

Whitby fishing club shore cod record - just short of 30 pounds caught at Robin hoods bay

homepage2-1.jpg

20 Pound cod caught from the east pier in Whitby - March 97

BERNADO20-1.jpg

18 pound cod. caught from shore March 97

Bri3.jpg

14 pound shore cod 2004

Wacker-1.jpg

More recently (last month) - 17 pound cod caught less than 500 yards from shore.

perrett.jpg

Edited by glennk

Guest challenge

How things change Carl. I wonder how many 20lb and over cod have been caught on the inshore boats this year?

30lb cod thing of the past for them 33lb cod? I don’t think so still hopefully the signs are all there for a slow but certain improvement on inshore fishing, and with boats now starting shark fishing it sounds like an exciting future for the ones who keep going.

First time i went boat fishing was with my older john who sadly is no longer with us i was about 9 or 10 and that was in the 60ss a i can recall that we caught stacks of dogfish (spurdogs) they were a bleeding nuisance it was thick with them but we also had some cracking cod and the size of the haddock was amaizing were catching and was all taken on mussell and all the distance you needed to go was 10 minuites aback of the bell a couple of mile at the most ,there was no real heavy trawling in them days no rockhoppers and then along came the power machines and here we are.

Edited by big_cod

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest challenge
First time i went boat fishing was with my older john who sadly is no longer with us i was about 9 or 10 and that was in the 60ss a i can recall that we caught stacks of dogfish (spurdogs) they were a bleeding nuisance it was thick with them but we also had some cracking cod and the size of the haddock was amaizing were catching and was all taken on mussell and all the distance you needed to go was 10 minuites aback of the bell a couple of mile at the most ,there was no real heavy trawling in them days no rockhoppers and then along came the power machines and here we are.

Yes your correct big cod along came them bloody big powerful trawler machines and here we are.

http://www.chieftaincharters.com/PHOTOS%20SEPT-OCT%2006.htm

Having to try a bit harder to still catch fish.