Weather To Mild For Pike?

Crackin Clax

Hi all.

Do anyone think the weather is too mild for the pike season to go into full action?

I have been out on various occasions lately and have came back with nothing but big perch!

I was wondering if this may be to do with the mild weather we have been getting lately, the way things are going, i will have to wait till mid november before the real pikeing weather kicks in!

CC

The Clax Will Always Crack

It may well be mild but that depends on where you live. I was out on Sunday piking and the weather was reasonable considering the time of year but the water was freezing cold. So depending on the source of the river it could be warm or in my case it will be cold with cool water running off the Pennines and into the valleys.

So far its been a good start to the season for me with 38 river pike and only a handful under 9lb so obviously different weather patterns and conditions affect the fishing in your locality and the wind directions and strengths may have their part to play as well. South Easterly winds being the kiss of death up here and Easterlys being the time to stay at home and tidy up the garage or put a few shelves up and win a few brownie points for future trips.

Just as an aside Sundays trip produced two for me at 15 and 16lb and a 14.5lb for my mate so cold water and mild air can produce the conditions where the better but fewer fish feed

I'm only an occasional catcher of jack-pike, but isn't the modern basis for Winter piking based more on welfare than catchability? And isn't the historical basis for it that pike will feed when it's too cold for much else but chub and grayling?

Agree with you Steve. But, if the other species are feeding, the pike are there ................................................................................

.................................................................................

.........................................................Watching................

...........................................................................watchi

ng...............................................................................

.............Waiting..............................................

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

It's certainly too mild for me to be out piking, although they're very active and catchable this time of year (they were swirling and striking all over the Thames on Monday evening - ruining my roach fishing!). It just doesn't 'feel' right yet - I need the temp to drop a few degrees. In the meantime it's perch and roach weather for me.

Plenty of time for old esox yet :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I had a great piking sesh 2 sundays ago with my mate Greg. 4 fish each and a few other runs.

The pike were in great condition and fighting fit. Even had a lovely tail walk off an 8lber. Great sport.

So get out there is what I say!

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

Completely agree with you anderoo, I fished for a few hours this week to get a feel of things and i came back cursing global warming. the way i see it, its deadbaiting for summer pike in these weather conditions, way to warm, no need for a coat or fleese. my piking is on hold till further notice unfortionately. after waiting all year for the pike season to arrive, the conditions that denote pike season havent!!!. As you say cracking clax, it will be mid november till the actual piking season arrives.

On the flip side, atleast i can extend my fishing for other species, like perch etc.