The art of saying a lot whilst really saying nothing

glennk

A while back I wrote to DEFRA to complain about the continued high Discard rate of the north east coast Herring spawn fishery. Below is the reply I recieved. It doesnt really address the issue I raised.

Most dissapointed

Dear Mr Kilpatrick

FISH DISCARDS

Thank you for your email of 15 September Ben Bradshaw MP about fish discards. I have been asked to reply.

Fish stocks in EU waters are managed under the Common Fisheries Policy (CFP). A range of measures have been introduced under the CFP to conserve fish stocks. These include the annual limits on total allowable catches, technical measures (such as mesh sizes and closed areas) to protect juveniles and limits on the capacity of fishing fleets.

EU Fisheries Ministers agreed in December 2002 on reform of the CFP. This includes a multi-annual approach to management with recovery plans for stocks outside safe biological limits and management plans for other stocks. Fisheries Ministers agreed to phase out European Union subsidies for vessel building by the end of 2004. The UK does not pay such subsidies which, by introducing new capacity, can undermine conservation efforts.

Other key elements of the new CFP are that there are new powers for Member States to take conservation measures in the 6-12 mile zone. The restrictions that currently limit fishing within 6 and 12 mile limits to countries with historic rights to fish in this area have been renewed for a further 10 years. Regional Advisory Councils have also been established to provide a voice for the fishing industry and other stakeholders - such as conservation organisations - in decisions on fisheries management. The aim of the new measures is to provide a more sustainable future for fish stocks and for the fishermen and communities that depend on them.

The Government agrees that we must do all we can to tackle the problem of overfishing and to conserve depleted stocks.

Under the reformed CFP we have agreed measures to recover cod stocks. These measures effectively limit the number of days a vessel is permitted to fish and Total Allowable Catches of cod have been reduced to very low levels with the aim of recovering stocks to safe biological limits. The UK is playing its full part - we have reduced our effort within the cod recovery area by vessels targeting whitefish such as cod by more than 60%.

Cod is taken in most of the fisheries in the North Sea - in demersal fisheries for cod, haddock and whiting, in the fisheries which target flatfish like plaice and sole and in trawling for Nephrops (langoustines or prawns). All of these fisheries have been restricted to protect cod. Further cuts in fishing days and in quotas were agreed at the Fisheries Council in December 2005. However, to ensure no catches of cod would mean effectively closing all of these fisheries and EU Ministers have concluded that this would have a very serious impact on those communities and fishermen make a living from the waters around the UK. The measures which have been agreed seek to balance the need to take tough action to recover depleted stocks with the need to allow a viable level of fishing to continue. However, we do need to keep the action we are taking under review and a review of the cod recovery plan is planned for next year.

If you would like to know more about what the UK fisheries departments are doing to secure better fisheries management, you may be interested in the response which we and the devolved administrations made to the landmark "Net Benefits" report from the Prime Minister's Strategy Unit. A copy of our response is available at:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/fish/sea/pdf/securingbenefits.pdf

Yours sincerely

Christopher Stewart

Customer Contact Unit

Edited by glennk

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mp's in the making ,remember its a gov department and they can call black white even on a lie detector.

dont they just like flinging in posh names to show how clever they are but steadfastly refuse to answer the question you actually ask. :D

in most cases they put your questions in the answer as an answer :rolleyes:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Glenn,

Note that they say that they recognise that they must do everything they can to address overfishing and depleted stocks!!

Everything? or.......

I think its great that you actually wrote the letter n the first place, although now little about that particlar issue.

Grant

B.A.S.S. member

They still aren't able to do anything about the 32,500 tons of haddock discarded last year or was that this year (Wurzel will remember), thats from a TAC of 55,000 tons.

Hello Doc

55,000 tons plus 32,500 tons of discards.

I think it was an estimate confirmed by the two Scottish chaps for this year. What got me was that it did not seem to bother them much.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Bad news that lads. Do you see a time when this will be sorted. Its such a shame when things are supposedly so bad to let so many be wasted. I noticed it was mentioned in the cod recovery review the possibility of going to 140 mil cod end. The commercials would never wear it though would they.

They still aren't able to do anything about the 32,500 tons of haddock discarded last year or was that this year (Wurzel will remember), thats from a TAC of 55,000 tons.

Hi Doc

That will be bass discards like that soon when OUR PARLIMENT in europe bring in a TAC for them soon

Regards Steve

Guest challenge
Bad news that lads. Do you see a time when this will be sorted. Its such a shame when things are supposedly so bad to let so many be wasted. I noticed it was mentioned in the cod recovery review the possibility of going to 140 mil cod end. The commercials would never wear it though would they.

Glenk

I wonder what they would say if you sent them an e-mail stating.

Defra. I have had discussions with commercial representatives (who are active in the said fishery) and they have stated that they are too concerned about this fishery, but in view of all the present day restrictions (that you kindly pointed out to me in your last reply) they are finding it almost impossible to leave this fishery alone.

The representatives did however state that if some kind of subsidy (based on track record) could be negotiated then they would be more than happy to suspend participation in this fishery until further notice.

I hope (defra) you will consider this proposition very carefully as I am sure it would get unequivocal backing from all RSA parties.

Regards glenk.

Well not a bad idea John. I do fully understand how difficult it would be to stop catching fish at one of the most productive times. Its a silly thing to suggest really, but somehow they must look at this issue. The cod recovery review states the cfp is failing - well I wonder why. Thing is they just dont seem interested in even discussing the issue as the letter shows. Perhaps you could write that email John ?

How much would it cost the eu to compensate these guys ?

Guest challenge
Well not a bad idea John. I do fully understand how difficult it would be to stop catching fish at one of the most productive times. Its a silly thing to suggest really, but somehow they must look at this issue. The cod recovery review states the cfp is failing - well I wonder why. Thing is they just dont seem interested in even discussing the issue as the letter shows. Perhaps you could write that email John ?

How much would it cost the eu to compensate these guys ?

Am not sure but I would imagine that it would be a dam site less than it would to run the north east guardian for the same time.

If you where to pay 6 boats sixty grand each to stay in harbour (without loosing days at sea) for six weeks

About £400000. It sounds a lot but no body but the fish would get rich.

Maybe defra just think it is an insufficient fishery that is not going to make much difference anyway.

Go and talk to Dave winspeare (alliance fish) he is a reasonable lad. get his opinion once you have got that (and I know personally that he would be in favour of a closure) get in touch with dfra again and get in touch with the gazette at the same time telling them of cooperation between local anglers and local commercial fishermen in cooperation to help local cod stocks.

Then get in touch with our local MP just in case defra decide knot to reply.

You have made the first steps by getting in touch with them and they replied. Much more than many commercials get.

Keep campaigning on everybody’s behalf; at least you would keep the subject in the public eye.

A public that the government know are very conversationalist in there voting opinions now days.