Photo Challenge #25: Movement

Chippy

you got me... i appologise, i tell ya i did have a dream about this and it was the exif data that got me in the end, i feel realy guilty about what i done and if you will have me back here it wont happen again.

i know this sounds like im trying to save face but i did intend to take the exact same picture when i seen the photo challenge but i seen it on the last day.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ho hum, 'twould seem that my entries were not valid as well, I failed to provide some of the required info...actually I never have!

Time, date and camera OK, anything else you want can be got from the exif on the original.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Ho hum, 'twould seem that my entries were not valid as well, I failed to provide some of the required info...actually I never have!

Time, date and camera OK, anything else you want can be got from the exif on the original.

Den

That was the point, we have a rule, a fuss of 'notice' was made when it was changed, 'we now ignore it, if it suits it would seem', whats was/is the point? Date/time, any more and Exif kicks in, a very simple freebie to down load if you need it. I have trouble with my Canon P&S not supplying ISO unless I use the Exif program.

Simple is probably best, we operate on at friendly trust level, its not as thought there is much in prize money at stake. I enjoy the Competition for the personal standards and encouragement it inspires.

"Point of Order" :rtfm: CJS2 Cliff :lol:

PS, I wonder if we ignore the 'driving, mobile phone' law now the fuss has died down???

I have trouble with my Canon P&S not supplying ISO unless I use the Exif program.

Not sure which Canon P&S you have, but with my A95 if I go into the Canon Zoombrowser and *right click* the mouse on a pic and select *properties* it gives me all the Exif data; (which can be copied and pasted).

:)

The whole challenge concept is that people are "challenged" within a time frame to take a certain shot, there HAS to be a way of checking this out...period.

Den, lots of your shots have exif attached, some dont. I give the benefit of doubt on thoose that dont.

(The following is not addressed at anyone in particular)

Seems to be I cant win, whatever I do, whatever is discussed or however its worded, configured, presented, run, judged or whatever. When I insisted that exifs where printed on the topic, it was met with question, when I relaxed that, it was met with questions. So I changed the whole format, more questions, relax a little...more questions.

This challenge idea initially came from another forum that I am a member on, here is a quote I've just copied from their stats box "We have 9469650 visitors since December 1, 2002. Total posted articles: 256647. Thanks to our 11399 members! "

And guess what, NEVER have I seen any questions or problems with the challenges there. Thats what I cannot work out, with so few people actually taking part in the challenges here. Why is such a fuss created over a simple thing as a few bits of information?

The challenges here are a great thing, thats something we all seem to agree on at least.

I've spent time finding programmes that will give each and everyone this info, I've typed out mini tuts on how to use them also. I have also given some info on how to edit and save photographs so that exif info stays intact. I've pretty much covered all the bases as far as can be, and Andy (sorry mate, dont want to make a scapegoat out of you) has proved that its necessary for exif info to be available on the photograph.

Where on earth do we go from here? We are at challenge 26 now, one year down the line from the start and I dont want this to be still being discussed and challenge 36 or 46 etc etc.

Steve

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Seeing as I was first to question 'why no info as required by the rules', I will say me bit, no finger pointing, just as it is, we dont want to have a ruckus, as we have seen elsewhere on the AN site :yucky:

Simply the fact that the rules say;

Quote:

Your posts must include the following information:

Title:

Date Taken:

Camera Used:

Camera Settings

ISO

Shutter Speed

Aperture

or the Camera shooting mode used (Landscape, Macro etc etc)

I have already said, 'simple suits me', however, when I am told in the rules, " . . . Your post must include the following information" I expect to abide by that statement along with other entrants? A transgression was spotted, sorry, but my sense of fair play says, 'if thats what is required, thats whats required'. Flouting even simple, easily initiated rules seems sloppy, and takes away the sense of trying to achive that extra level, anything goes? :unsure:

In a previous life, I competed for 20 years at the highest level (nothig to do with photogaphy, far more devious, more in the F1 mold), saw rule bending, cheating and total disregard. So I have a deep inbuilt sense of fair play these days, to the extent of standing back and letting things slide, it easier, I cant argue any more, and I wont.

It seems that in general the relaxed, approach is OK? For such a simple piece of information, "date and time". If you really want more information, Steve has the address for the free 'Exif' program.

Thats it, said my bit, I will now retreat to my corner, suck me thumb, I'll row in as it goes :mellow:

CJS2 Cliff

PS, Think I did not supply ISO in my 'movement' entry, apologise for that.

My point was that I had also transgressed, quite simple really, I read the rules down as far as the first paragraph, and failed to read on after the space.... No one had a go at me :)

I try to support the comp, even when I have a problem with getting a pic to match or suggest the title, I don't get out much :) unless it is down to the lake.

Sorry if my post sounded a bit annoyed, I was really only annoyed with myself for getting it wrong...imagine the fuss if I had actually won :) :)

I try to make sure that the pics I enter are resized in CS2 so the Exif is saved (not like in Photosuite 3) and so would be available for checking, and thought that I had done enough.

Mistakes, probably many, Cheating, never.

Steve, photo comp is one of the best bits of AN, thanks for your efforts (and trust:) )

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

how about............

We just post the pics in the comp thread, then the winner sends the original piccy (resized with the EXIF intact) to the judge/steve/whoever to check the EXIF?

Personally, I actually like to see the shooting date in pics, as it's a great way of learning how it was taken. It annoys to me to pick up photography magazine and see loads of great pics but no shooting data attached to them!!

This needs to be put to bed?? not doing us any good. I'm sorry I pointed out the error!

Quote,

"Where on earth do we go from here? We are at challenge 26 now, one year down the line from the start and I dont want this to be still being discussed and challenge 36 or 46 etc etc". Steve Randles.

Can I suggest that we all adhere strictly to 'date and time' appearing, essentially thats all that is needed, Exif attached. If a photo is checked for Exif (as Steve does) and the information is not available, or correct, it is automatically excluded, regardless of who it is?

The only thing I see as a fly? 'Would this cover the cheaper cameras?' . . . Cant see its relevant as no Exif, should already, in theory, disqualify an entry?

Simple suits me??

CJS2

PS, I seem to have stirred a hornet nest unwittingly, I apologise for that. How can one resign from a thread?? :lol: