expensive fishing gear

carphead07

hello there

i was just thinking all the professional fisher men have very expensive gear

but i only have a faily cheap rod

so i was wondering if have realy expensive gear will help me to catch bigger and more fish

happy fishing

thnx :fish:

mike finlay the carpinator

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Carphead07

Easy makes no really difference, i have a set of wychwood carp rods, max £40 a rod and 3 maximiser freebait runners, £40 quid a reel, total of £240 squid. Now if you talking expensive gear that would not buy you a one carp rod.

Heres what i did when i started carping, learn what the fish do, learn to read the signs, when i go fishing to a new lake, use a light weight and investigate the lake to find features. You may have the best gear in the world and if you fish in the wrong place or with out an idea of what you are trying to do you will catch very little, I know.

Thats not to say that expensive gear is not good it is, but all i am saying is learn to fish then move up, i started out with a badger match rod and match reel and progressed from there. The Badger rod and reel cost me 30 quid and I landed a 15 lb carp with it.

My advice would be get a buget carp rod and reel, spend about 50 quid and practice, learn the craft and then invest in the future.

Hope that Helps

STC

It was the fish i tell you, they were talking to me !!!

hello there

so i was wondering if have realy expensive gear will help me to catch bigger and more fish

happy fishing

Don't kid yourself. Most anglers have modestly priced gear the 'pro's' you refer to work for fishing tackle companies and get it for nowt. As the last poster said price is wholly immaterial. Everybody needs to learn how to catch fish first and foremost and then they can look for the edges. Now that may mean <for example> you need tackle capable of casting at extreme ranges but it's no good if you aren't up to using it. The wrong gear will almost certainly make matters worse and you will lose fish.

So simply put take things step by step and enjoy your fishing. When you want to upgrade don't rush into anything and never, ever, believe everything you read in the carp comics.

Rob.

I have (literally) a shed full of gear. I do not own a rod that cost me as much as the £40 ones mentioned above. I have paid a bit for my catfishing reels but only because a large catfish will tear up a light (and inexpensive) reel.

As said earlier on here, you need tackle that will serve your needs for the style of angling you do and the places you do it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi There,

Easy answer NO.

:thumbs:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

hello there

happy fishing

Of course not ,a fish that picks up a bait doesn't know whether you have a £9.99 rod/reel or a £250.00 rod/reel. It is immaterial , however sometimes you do need more expensive gear to tackle in certain situations ie . 160 yd cast intead of a 30yd lob. Many of those guys are sponsered so don't pay for their gear, I bet they sell stuff they don't need to fund other tackle as well.

I suppose most anglers like many other hobbyists start to upgrade their gear when they start to fish more or feel they need to have better quality tackle. We see desirable pices of kit and think, I'll get a set of them , I need that ! It looks good! Think about cars , they are the same, yes I'd like a Ferrari but drive a Citroen. It still gets me from place to place.

Also as we get older, the kids grow up and leave home I suppose we have more disposable income to play with. I hope so !

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

hello there

happy fishing

I would say having good kit does help, it would be a bad day if you loose a PB to bad tackle, I would say the line you use and the hooks you use are very impotant, as for the rest well the previous posts have said it all.

A high percentage of fishing is confidence, so go for it.

Roger

I would say having good kit does help, it would be a bad day if you loose a PB to bad tackle, I would say the line you use and the hooks you use are very impotant, as for the rest well the previous posts have said it all.

A high percentage of fishing is confidence, so go for it.

Roger

agreed, there is nothing worse than when your tackle lets you down , especially if you knew it was on its way out ,but did nothing about it. Line very important.

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

thanx all that will be rly usefull

i'll try with my £20 rod at the mo and wen i get more into it i will buy better gear

and more expensive gear

so thanx again

mike finlay the carpinator

thanx all that will be rly usefull

i'll try with my £20 rod at the mo and wen i get more into it i will buy better gear

and more expensive gear

so thanx again

The expensive gear is not always the better gear, so do your homework before parting with cash.

In carp fishing, I'd say that on the whole, you don't need the expensive gear. Having a quality set up is nice when playing a fish, but I don't know if it would help you to actually hook it in the first place. If you've never had expensive gear, you certainly won't miss it.

I grew up doing a lot of sea fishing on very tight budgets and had appalling tackle for years, but still enjoyed it. Beach fishing is one area of fishing where I'd say a good rod and reel does make one hell of a difference, but I only know that now because I've tried nice stuff. I still enjoyed it with the cheap stuff. Despite many carp articles telling you how they hooked into a 40 at 150 yards +, I doubt many carp anglers have ever fished beyond 50 yards, 70 at a push.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE