Seals

stormbringer

Fiction

Theres been about a dozen seals sat off the South Gare breakwater every night for months. It has'nt stopped upwards of 60 anglers every night catching mackeral sometimes 50 or 60 a piece.

Its a little different in a boat but certainly not the kiss of death

I remember fishing one night in decemeber about 2 years ago. About 5 yards from where we were floated past what we thought was a football. Upon shining the light on it it became evident it was a seal. At that very moment I got a bight and hooked into a cod of about 6 pound. Panicing I wound as fast as I could and somehow got it past the seal ok.

On another occasion not to far from where the lsat happened I had a similer thing happen in broad daylight , at one point the seal even came out of the water to try pinch the 2 cod I had pulled in past him earlier. The cheaky bugger tried to take them from the rock next to me where id laid them down.

So in my opinion Fiction

[ 10. September 2005, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: @AUTUMN@ ]

Stronsay and most of Orkney is a Seal haven. It is a rare fishing trip to not see several Seals coming to have a look at the stupid man with the big pole.

We still catch fish and often when the Seals are about.

Although not as many as other folk on this board (Don't know if its a Seal problem or not a good fisherman) so there could be something in it.

Bob

It sounds like it's related to the population where you fish. If there's plenty of them about you are used to them. If like some areas you hardly ever see them it may put you off.

There's one thing for sure you're both there for the same reason, could that be on the plus side?

The next time one pops his head up and the wind backs round to an Easterly think positive!

One thing is for sure, they have a sense of humour. I remember sitting on the rocks by Loch Torridon catching nothing when a Seal appeared. It watched my inactivity for a few minutes, watched me cast then moved right on top of where I had cast. It sat there for a while then dived strait down and came up with a Ray. It then swam right in front of me laid on its back and ate the fish. As it ate the fish it kept looking up at me as if to say "your an amature".

Last year I caught 17 sizeable bass to 3lb next to a fishing seal, we shared to mark for about 2 hours.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!