Discovery channel and fishing programs

Colin Brett

I've heard a whisper that the Discovery channel are worried there's not enough people watching the angling programs and may not make many more. :(

While the figures are not bad as far as Discovery are concerned but the advertisers are not happy with them. So Discovery are looking at more dynamic sports to film also with a greater following from youngsters.

Better keep watching all those repeats!! :o

Colin

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

May just be a coincidence but the Discovery RT channels seem to be showing less fishing progs than they were a few months ago. There's hundreds of Hot Rod, Super duper car, American garage etc etc type shows on at the moment.

They still show a lot of angling. Especially at weekends (when everyone is fishing?).

Hooked On Fishing and Rex Hunt seem to be on everyday.

How many new programmes do they show? I've had sky for a few months and I think I've seen everything now. A lot of the shows are years old.

Maybe they've saturated their own market? Those channels repeat themselves all the time. They can't possibly expect high viewing figures all the time.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

I think they shoot themselves in the foot by showing old programs over and over again ad nausium. Matt bloody Hayes and the dancing eyebrows should be put out to pasture as those total fishing programs were (being generous) "of their time", and that time has definitely past! Same with the John Wilson programs. There's only so many times anyone's going to watch the same show.

The more recent programs are a much better standard and more repeatably watchable, but even then ther is a limit.

With the huge volume of fishing programs produced in America I can't believe they can't get some pretty inexpensive shows o put on here, though they may need to do something about the heavy product endorsement in many of the shows, but nothing insurmountable. I quite enjoy "lunkerville" (www.lunkerville.com) and can't believe programs like that would cost much to buy to show here, at least there would be something new on more regularly, and so more people would be likely to tune in.

Tim

I think they shoot themselves in the foot by showing old programs over and over again ad nausium. Matt bloody Hayes and the dancing eyebrows should be put out to pasture as those total fishing programs were (being generous) "of their time", and that time has definitely past! Same with the John Wilson programs. There's only so many times anyone's going to watch the same show.

The more recent programs are a much better standard and more repeatably watchable, but even then ther is a limit.

With the huge volume of fishing programs produced in America I can't believe they can't get some pretty inexpensive shows o put on here, though they may need to do something about the heavy product endorsement in many of the shows, but nothing insurmountable. I quite enjoy "lunkerville" (www.lunkerville.com) and can't believe programs like that would cost much to buy to show here, at least there would be something new on more regularly, and so more people would be likely to tune in.

personally i think that Tim is somewhewre along the right lines there.

Theres a real derth of new presenters and new formats being approached. Its all very well airiung the Matt and Mick shows all the time, most of the time they are very good and the on screen chemistry between the two of them is brilliant, but why not go out on a limb from time to time, you now they might unearth a new talent.

Mark Barrett

buy the PAC30 book at www.pacshop.co.uk

May just be a coincidence but the Discovery RT channels seem to be showing less fishing progs than they were a few months ago. There's hundreds of Hot Rod, Super duper car, American garage etc etc type shows on at the moment.

They still show a lot of angling. Especially at weekends (when everyone is fishing?).

Hooked On Fishing and Rex Hunt seem to be on everyday.

I've had sky for a few months and I think I've seen everything now.

Maybe they've saturated their own market? Those channels repeat themselves all the time. They can't possibly expect high viewing figures all the time.

you will end up doing same as me kicking them into touch got fedup watching the same programs over and over

kept it for a year then cancelled it

Women need a reason to have sex. Men just need a place.

The difference between light and hard is that you can sleep with a light on.

I've made my feeling on virtually all angling related television clear before (I think it's crap!) but a more pertinent problem with it is that it just doesn't appeal to non anglers, most television appeals not only to it's specific target audience, but to a more general audience too. Angling related programming doesn't, it polarises viewers like few other genres.

I've made my feeling on virtually all angling related television clear before (I think it's crap!) but a more pertinent problem with it is that it just doesn't appeal to non anglers

Would you except PFA? I thought that played fairly well with the non-angling public?

I can see what you mean, I'd rather watch drying paint than televised golf, snooker, darts or poker. I guess other people feel the same way about angling.

I'm not a fan of PFA... my non-angling wife's comment:

"See I told you fishing was for old farts!"

Depends on whether or not you belong to the "Romantic" school of angling. Despite being a miserable old cynic in every other respect, I do, so if, on the odd occasion, I feel like watching fishing on the telly, rather than doing it or reading about it, PFA is what I watch.

Every non-angler who's watched it with me has been entranced, and said words along the lines of "Now I can see why you do it". On the other hand, it was responsible for an old friend of mine taking up fishing, and now he can't understand why we don't experience the misty dawns, glorious sunsets and magical wildlife that Chris & Bob always seemed to. :rolleyes: