Summary of Marine Bill Responses published

Commercial stocks are the stock of fish that is allocated to the commercial fisherman. He is allowed to catch his allocated amount, hence commercial stock.

anglers (at the moment) are not given any type of quota, and therefore have a free for all, but of course the way we are going this will all come to a stop with bag limits.

The amount of anglers catching the said species times the amount that they will be given in quota divided by said anglers in the way of bag limits.

Then it will be classed as recreational stock.

Estimated recreational stock plus commercial stock will all come under the same allowable fishery come quota negotiation time.

Hope the anglers have got some powerful representation when it comes to negotiating with commercial fishermen. :yucky:

You make it sound like there are similarities between commercial fishermen taking fish, and anglers taking them. There aren't. Commercial fishermen take a publicly owned resource and sell it for personal financial gain. That is why they are restricted on how much they can take. Even then, the restrictions aren't to stop them earning over a ceratin amount of money, they are there to stop, (or try to stop), them from fishing the sea until there's nothing left.

There are no similarities between anglers and commercial fishermen that justify slapping quotas on anglers, and as for anglers having to go cap in hand to commercial fishermen for some fish to catch, you're dreaming.

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no similarities between anglers and commercial fishermen that justify slapping quotas on anglers, and as for anglers having to go cap in hand to commercial fishermen for some fish to catch, you're dreaming.

There is when you have charter boats coming back after a three day trip bragging about killing over 1.5 tons of prime breeding stock cod.

How can you catch that quantity and claim it to be recreational

Edited by Ian Burrett

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

There is when you have charter boats coming back after a three day trip bragging about killing over 1.5 tons of prime breeding stock cod.

Clearly it is recreational if it is termed as killing as much fish as you can, it cant be termed commercial as they have an excuse as they do it to pay their bills, they do it purely for pleasure unless i am wrong?

Edited by stavey

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Guest challenge

Quite simple.

Spend a lot of money on a boat capable of going and doing said task.

Put 12 anglers on said boat; charge anglers a large amount of money for attempting said task.

Go out to well manage fishery, fishery that you have managed well over past 5 years.

Fishery that regardless to what sceptics might say about your management of fishery has proven over last couple of years that it is working.

In fact fishery this year has sizably improved.

Start fishing day one. Then start fishing day 2 then start fishing day 3. Keep fish in pristine condition so that there is no waste and anglers have nice produce to take home to feed family and friends.

When you have finished your 94 hour trip charge anglers accordingly for time spent in pursuit of said fish.

Take booking for following year take more fuel and food and off you go again with anglers who have been more than likely booked 12 months ago in anticipation off said results.

Anglers who come with us are recreational anglers, I can assure you that. Just because they do not return all of there fish does not mean they are not recreational anglers.

There is not another angling boat in the country that spends more time at sea than we do with anglers.

They come they feed they sleep they enjoy each others company and at times I hope they enjoy ours, they also fish and hopefully they catch.

The biggest parts of them go home having enjoyed a recreation they pay a lot of money for.

A recreation that they appreciate so much that they keep coming back for more.

A type of recreational fishing that you obviously don’t agree with, that doesn’t mean it’s not a recreational pastime for thousands of anglers that come with us.

Tell you what, if you don’t agree then don’t come, but don’t try and imply that we are not running anything but a recreational business. :angry:

If the fish was for personal consumption, like they said it was, then it's recreational. If any of the fish were sold, like they said it wasn't, then it's commercial fishing, which would make them unlicenced commercial fishermen, not anglers.

I thought all this was thrashed out on the thread about it at the time. Didn't we work out that between so many anglers and over so many days, that amount of fish wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

Edited by Steve Coppolo

Don't drink and drive.

Quite simple.

Spend a lot of money on a boat capable of going and doing said task.

Put 12 anglers on said boat; charge anglers a large amount of money for attempting said task.

Go out to well manage fishery, fishery that you have managed well over past 5 years.

Fishery that regardless to what sceptics might say about your management of fishery has proven over last couple of years that it is working.

In fact fishery this year has sizably improved.

Start fishing day one. Then start fishing day 2 then start fishing day 3. Keep fish in pristine condition so that there is no waste and anglers have nice produce to take home to feed family and friends.

When you have finished your 94 hour trip charge anglers accordingly for time spent in pursuit of said fish.

Take booking for following year take more fuel and food and off you go again with anglers who have been more than likely booked 12 months ago in anticipation off said results.

Anglers who come with us are recreational anglers, I can assure you that. Just because they do not return all of there fish does not mean they are not recreational anglers.

There is not another angling boat in the country that spends more time at sea than we do with anglers.

They come they feed they sleep they enjoy each others company and at times I hope they enjoy ours, they also fish and hopefully they catch.

The biggest parts of them go home having enjoyed a recreation they pay a lot of money for.

A recreation that they appreciate so much that they keep coming back for more.

A type of recreational fishing that you obviously don’t agree with, that doesn’t mean it’s not a recreational pastime for thousands of anglers that come with us.

Tell you what, if you don’t agree then don’t come, but don’t try and imply that we are not running anything but a recreational business. :angry:

Blardy blah..... Is that a royal 'we' regarding the business? Thought you were the monkey not the organ grinder? :huh:

Would you still be so full of cotempt if the trawlers hit you magical 'well managed fishery' and screwed it up......doubt it, then all your commercial clap trap will come round and bite you on the arse.

:thumbs:

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

3.30 There was support both from the angling sector and other respondents for proposals in respect of “bag limits” and a chargeable licensing scheme for angling.

Here we go again. I'd like to know who keeps supporting these measures because all I've ever seen on this forum is denials.

Why not look at the full document an you can see who responded?

http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/consult/...ses-summary.pdf

If the fish was for personal consumption, like they said it was, then it's recreational. If any of the fish were sold, like they said it wasn't, then it's commercial fishing, which would make them unlicenced commercial fishermen, not anglers.

I thought all this was thrashed out on the thread about it at the time. Didn't we work out that between so many anglers and over so many days, that amount of fish wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

The reason i raaised my original point was your statement that There are no similarities between anglers and commercial fishermen that justify slapping quotas on anglers,

Catch 1.5 tons of cod every three days then no one can complain if they are lumped together with the commercials. Just an opinion

Edited by Ian Burrett

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

The reason i raaised my original point was your statement that There are no similarities between anglers and commercial fishermen that justify slapping quotas on anglers,

Catch 1.5 tons of cod every three days then no one can complain if they are lumped together with the commercials. Just an opinion

As I said Ian, commercials take a publicly owned resource and sell it for personal financial gain. Anglers catch fish for pleasure and take some home to eat. How many fish did each angler on board that boat take in the end? For a three day trip I bet it didn't work out too terrible a figure, and when you think that some of them only go out a few times a year. What one individual commercial skipper takes in a year compared to one individual angler, can't be compared.

Don't drink and drive.

What the hecks happening? How come the average angler has no say in any of this.

Ok so according to the starter of this post DEFRA have asked for anglers for thier responses, what I would like to know is how else apart from this forum were they asked.

Why was it not on the evening news, or in my news paper?

I get bombaeded by adverts through all the usual media but up until today have known nothing of this marine bill.