Is the Southern Colony Sustainable?

Leon Roskilly

I received a power point presentation that had some very impressive flooding photos from what I assume was that area. Too much of a good thing I think.

My thanks to whoever sent it. I'm assuming it was someone on here but I didn't recognize the email address so can't be sure exactly who.

Amazing thing Newt, there are still vast expanses on the Eastern Seaboard that are still experiencing drought conditions.........And we have had our best?? 'Wet" for 7 years, 67 inches since Jan 1st. And, our coldest June day on record, 13 C :yucky: , snow as far north as Toowoomba, 1.5 hours' drive inland from Brisbane. Darwin had their coldest day for 33 years, 25 C. :yucky:

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/worl...icle2784277.ece

Getting edgy down there!

Australia's long-running drought claimed a bizarre fatality when a 66-year-old man was bashed to death while watering his lawn, police said.

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Very big news, mate. And, the residents of Brizzie have to use 'grey water' to give their plants a drink. Pity the pollies can't see past the end of their noses and get some water channeled/piped from The Burdekin Dam.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

• 2 weeks later...

The Yarra was always known as 'the upside-down river' due to the garbage in it. Status Quo??

40% water for Melbourne? Brizzie is down to 24% and will go to restriction level 6 in two weeks. Residents who abuse the restrictions will be slugged $3500 and have 1 month's trickle feed

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

Not Looking Good :(

The River Murray System supplies water for much of South East Australia, the most populated region.

Will there be water for 2008/09?

If current low inflow conditions persist through summer and into 2008, it is likely that there will be no more water in storage at the commencement of 2008/09 water year (1 June 2008) than there was on 1 June 2007.

In these circumstances, water availability for irrigators for the next water-year would depend

entirely on 2008/09 rain and inflows – as has been the case this year.

Under the “worst case” inflow scenario used for planning, there would be just enough water to operate the river and meet critical human needs, including some critical stock and domestic requirements.

There would be no water for irrigation, other than any volumes carried over from this year.

http://www.mdbc.gov.au/__data/page/20/Rive..._2007_7_Dec.pdf

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

• 1 month later...

Not Looking Good :(

(The River Murray system provides much of the water for South East Australia, where most of the population lives)

Will there be water for 2008/09?

If current low inflow conditions persist through summer and into 2008, it is likely that there will be no more water in storage at the commencement of 2008/09 water year (1 June 2008) than there was on 1 June 2007.

In these circumstances, water availability for irrigators for the next water-year would depend entirely on 2008/09 rain and inflows – as has been the case this year.

Under the “worst case” inflow scenario used for planning, there would be just enough water to operate the river and meet critical human needs, including some critical stock and domestic requirements.

There would be no water for irrigation, other than any volumes carried over from this year.....

The Bureau’s rainfall outlook states “The chances of exceeding the median rainfall for summer are between 60 and 70% in a large area extending from southeast Queensland across both the northern inland and east of NSW.”

However, even in wetter years, significant inflows over summer are unusual, and the Bureau of Meteorology predicts an increased chance of higher temperatures this summer, potentially diminishing runoff.

Nevertheless, the MDBC expects continued minor improvements in water resource availability as inflows, as low as they are, are still above the extreme low levels received last year, which are used as the basis for planning.

http://www.mdbc.gov.au/__data/page/20/Rive..._2007_7_Dec.pdf

RNLI Shoreline Member

Had some good rains today Leon, the tanks are full.My neighbour took 28mm out of his rain gauge and from what ive been reading on another forum the rain band went right across the southern half of OZ

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Had some good rains today Leon, the tanks are full.My neighbour took 28mm out of his rain gauge and from what ive been reading on another forum the rain band went right across the southern half of OZ

I shall keep my fingers crossed :)

(It would be a shame if you all had to come back here ;) )

RNLI Shoreline Member