Leon Roskilly

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:)

FLOODWATERS last night were threatening low-lying homes near Bendigo after the Campaspe River burst its banks.

Victoria Police said homes in Axedale, Barnadown and Goornong were at risk.

Wild weather continued to lash many areas of Victoria yesterday. The Northern Highway was flooded, holding up traffic in both directions between Wallan and Kilmore, north of Melbourne.

The flooding caused chaos on the roads with many vehicles travelling for the Christmas break being forced to turn around as police set up diversions.

Melbourne was battered by torrential downpours, and 18 millimetres of rain was recorded yesterday. The city's water catchments received an estimated 99 million litres of water in the 24 hours to 8am yesterday.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/hom...8175340696.html

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

The Indian Pacific trans-Australia train has been halted by torrential rain and flood damage and passengers on board have had to do the final 1,000kms of their journey by bus! What a sad end to a fantastic train ride.

Thankfully we have had a fairly wet winter (in comparison to recent years) and our water restrictions have not been changed for this summer. We do have them, we have had for about 26 yeras, but they are hardly draconian. Personally I have a well/bore along with the scheme water so I really don't feel the restrictions. In fact well/bore owners are encouraged to use their bores in order to keep the salt down in the earth. There is a lot of development in this area which incudes the deforestation of thousands of acres which causes the water table to rise and as it does so it brings salt to the surface.

I really don't think that there is anyrhing the UK can send us, though by what I understand it is importing plenty of crap to replace what it has sent here in the past! :D

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Its even been raining here in Tasmania, and while we were up the Top End, there were several tropical downpours, although none that stopped our barra fishing. Whilst out on the Lower Ord river in blistering sunshine we could see fearsome storms over the East Kimberlies.

No fear of a drought here in Tas - the local liquor store is packed to the rafters with slabs of tinnies.

hic

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Its even been raining here in Tasmania, and while we were up the Top End, there were several tropical downpours, although none that stopped our barra fishing. Whilst out on the Lower Ord river in blistering sunshine we could see fearsome storms over the East Kimberlies.

No fear of a drought here in Tas - the local liquor store is packed to the rafters with slabs of tinnies.

hic

Hi Dave and Norma glad to see your both enjoying yourselves, hope you have a great Christmas and New Year with plenty of tight lines. Look forward to those wonderful reports and pics of your trip.

And don't over do the Hiccing :lol::lol:

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

hic

Still doing my bit here mate, brewing my own beer and drinking it thus preserving the the local water supply. I even convert that beer to water so I am really doing my bit for conservation. Perhaps when you are in Oz again, you can visit and help me with Australia's water problems.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

• 3 weeks later...

Leon, you haven't returned to Australia recently have you?

Or was it those other Jonahs, Newt & Jan?

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

The sad part of it all is, the bulk of the flooding missed the dams and has just gone out to sea. Also, two farmers, within 15 kms of each other; one has a cattle property and is expecting his stock to gain an average of 18 kgs in the next 2 weeks....The second farmer grows corn and he lost $80,000 due to the corn being flooded.

The Brisbane water supply has risen 4%, which means that Brizzie has an extra 4 months' supply.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.