Is the Southern Colony Sustainable?

Leon Roskilly

It is worth noting that species called "Politicians" are the same throughout the world :rolleyes:

They create a situation then promise to put it right during election time then promptly forget about it :rolleyes:

How right you are ken.

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Level 5 restrictions are in place at Toowoomba, a city of 100,000 people.

http://www.toowoombawater.com.au/water-restrictions.html

An 'inland sea' has formed from the Adelaide River to the Mary River, in the Northern Territory, from cyclone "George".

Hardly seems right, hey?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/australia/weather/

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

• 1 month later...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/6620919.stm

interesting article on perth

Edited by hembo

The salary of the chief executive of a large corporation is not a market award for achievement. It is frequently in the nature of a warm personal gesture by the individual to himself.

John Kenneth Galbraith

There was an interesting feature on Radio 4 today about Perth's water issues:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio4_aod....costingtheearth

Interesting to see it from aerial photographs, a green corner in a sea of desert:

Aerial View

The programme suggests that this is entirely the result of irrigation, which is amazing if true. Seems to me that it might have been a little greener than the surrounding area in the first place in order for people to have settled there, but still... Las Vegas has the same deal.

They have about 25 hectares of land on the outskirts of Victoria! I just want out of a place that claims the NHS is the best medical care in the world when it isn't! (I fell in February, didn't see the consultant and have a scan until November - and when they saw the scan, offered me a "new shoulder"??????????? They KNOW I am a 24/7 carer so they are going to use keyhole surgery NEXT YEAR to repair the damage) They claim the the education is the best - and it stinks! All we hear over here are LIES to make up taxes to try and satisfy their GREED!

The outskirts of Victoria? that makes no sense at all?

You have rather a lot to learn about life here, do you honestly think we have no corrupt politicians or stupid wars? I doubt very much whether you'd be allowed in Australia anyway with a disability, and when you get here, you may find you don't like it, lots do: If you hink it's so fantastic here, why didn't you come here from SA? [admin note: some content removed. Please avoid direct personal attacks. Newt]

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61

The programme suggests that this is entirely the result of irrigation, which is amazing if true. Seems to me that it might have been a little greener than the surrounding area in the first place in order for people to have settled there, but still... Las Vegas has the same deal.

Not entirely correct; the south west gets a bit more winter rain and the temperatures are milder....

"The outskirts of Victoria? that makes no sense at all?

You have rather a lot to learn about life here, do you honestly think we have no corrupt politicians or stupid wars? I doubt very much whether you'd be allowed in Australia anyway with a disability, and when you get here, you may find you don't like it, lots do: If you hink it's so fantastic here, why didn't you come here from SA? "

Wonder what's got up your nose, IanL :headhurt: If you read earlier posts, you will understand. OK? Anyone is allowed to come to Australia, when they want, so long as certain criteria are met.

Edited by Bobj

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

We had a ten year drought in SA, EVERYBODY had water butts, bricks in the toilet, pumps to pump out the bathwater (after the whole family had bathed) onto the garden. Those who had swimming pools connected tubing from the downpipes so that morning dew could be used to top up COVERED pools, etc. It is hard but you just get on with it - ask Bob J!

Yes there will always be some that don't like it, but the majority do! As for politicians, I don't hear ours here warning the immigrants that we are a seperate country, not an extention of theirs!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

I also know of someone :rolleyes: who posted on another site who moved to Australia, complained ALL the time he was there, then came back! :thumbdown:

We didn't hear from him for a while - then when we did he was back in Oz, BLAMING HIS WIFE FOR MOVING BACK!!!! :headhurt::headhurt:

I also know of someone :rolleyes: who posted on another site who moved to Australia, complained ALL the time he was there, then came back! :thumbdown:

We didn't hear from him for a while - then when we did he was back in Oz, BLAMING HIS WIFE FOR MOVING BACK!!!! :headhurt::headhurt:

Hi KB, i had 2 workmates( both married no kids) here who both missed family and friends so much that after 2 years they went back to UK.

They both came back,one after 3 month and the other after 6 month,their friends had new friends and they saw all the family for about a month and then like familys everywhere it was the occasional visit. They couldnt understand their friends had moved on just like they did when they came to OZ. As IanL says politicians are much the same where ever they are and we do have our problems but i suppose with a population of 20,000,000 in such a big country they dont seem so bad.

I love living where i do,i love the lifestyle and i love the weather, i dont miss the cold and the snow what so ever.

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Good on yer mate! I suppose people here just don't realise how OPEN the country can be!

My brother-in-law lives near Melbourne and came back for his dad's 80th birthday, couldn't get warm, couldn't get any privacy, couldn't believe how expensive things were!

He left after two weeks!! - he was supposed to stay 2 months!!