The Accidental Angler

maranman

The 8pm Sunday slot on BBC2 is very high-audience, with a wide demographic to aim at. In my opinion, the programme perfectly hit the mark.......

In other words a half way house to suit a wider audience......predictably, it probably has failed to impress(most?) anglers and lacked real content as a travelogue.

It is a shame that some of the forum users were (rather churlishly) unimpressed by the programme, ...

Why churlish ? If they weren't impressed they are entitled to state their opinion. They are the licence payers.The bit about "too many shots of the same piece of water with inert rod tips" was spot on. It just kept the monotony going. It would make a non angler think of the old adage a fool at 1 end and a worm on the other. Despite what some people have said , it DID look like chuck it and chance it.

I hope it improves, but surely we deserve (as licence payers) better, with a series aimed at

anglers/angling.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been other programmes where Mahseer have been caught....one reason I made a special effort (lot of other distractions at the moment) was because I had seen these films...some guy called Patrick-Davies?

The fish were impressive (very) and fought hard (angler chasing them thro rapids) and I hoped to see something similar.

Churlish?? me??? never :)

Offended? ME? Never :)

Den Can't help wondering how many times that massive lump of dough was picked up and dropped...........

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

OI OI,

some of you are easily pleased i thought it was sh**e watched about half of it turned over for heartbeat now there's a programe. LOL

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

BILL.........nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit,

ENGLAND & ST GEORGE, C,MON

BRUMMIE IN EXSILE..........yo aint sin me roite

My only disappointment was with the ending. We saw almost nothing of the fight having been told how special it is, and the presenter, who was otherwise excellent, didn't seem very excited! It makes you wonder if the fish had been caught early in the week and the order transposed for the sake of the story.

Possibly. Or he was suffering from exhaustion and heat stroke!

I enjoyed it. It did seem a bit like an extended version of a 'Holiday' clip. I don't mind that it wasn't 100% angling. It's only weakness is that it felt like a Discovery Real Time programme and because this was on the BBC I was hoping for just a bit more.

I think Hugh Miles raised the bar so high with a Passion Far Angling that no else has got a chance. But to be fair, this wasn't trying to be another PFA. But I think Poledark is right in that they could have made more of the scenary and wildlife. But these are minor gripes. There were some stunning shots of him perched on top of that overhanging rock.

But let's be honest. This was an angling programme on a prime time BBC slot. I think we should be grateful!

I liked the presenter. I thought he was interesting and funny and he was a good ambassador for angling. I look forward to the rest.

There is an English based one in the series but I'm not sure where it's gone. It was supposed to start the series so I hope we'll get to see it.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

Guest Brumagem Phil

LOL, so many have been moaning about the same old repeats on discovery and yet when we get something fresh and new it gets slated. SHAME ON YOU!!!! :P:)

I thought it was great really........it was a programme about the great fish itself rather than just fishing for it, and I enjoyed it immensely. Was it 100% perfect........well, probably not but how many programmes of this nature actually are?

Did you notice the high spot they first fished from (and the guide) were the same as hen John Wilson fished there lord knows how many years ago.

Now then, anyone offering donations so I can go? :rolleyes:

And another thing :) where was the Unhooking mat?

Den :) :) ( I was involved in some fishing progs on BBC many years ago, and my critisisms are nothing compared to the stick we got back then :) And our "stuff" was a lot better :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

LOL, so many have been moaning about the same old repeats on discovery and yet when we get something fresh and new it gets slated. SHAME ON YOU!!!! :P:)

I thought it was great really........it was a programme about the great fish itself rather than just fishing for it, and I enjoyed it immensely. Was it 100% perfect........well, probably not but how many programmes of this nature actually are?

Did you notice the high spot they first fished from (and the guide) were the same as hen John Wilson fished there lord knows how many years ago.

Now then, anyone offering donations so I can go? :rolleyes:

So that's where I've seen it before? Cheers Phil :thumbs: , it's been puzzling me since I saw it. As I said, it was so familiar, I thought it was a repeat for a while.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I thought it struck just the right balance. It was perfect for a Sunday night and I enjoyed the camera work and the scenery. I can only think that those who didn't like it are the kinds of people with short attention spans, who never read books.

I thought it a bit strange that they hadn't devised a way of hair rigging those baits though. I suppose the rocks might have blunted the hooks, but even so, I'm sure it would have given them a better chance than trying to strike though such a hard bait.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.