The Accidental Angler

maranman

If they are, then they failed to capture any of the essence of angling.

Den

Funny you should say that because I thought that it captured it quite well. The bit about waiting for something that might never happen, yet still maintaining the poise of a coiled spring while sitting in an uncomfortable position, just about sums it up. It had a nice laid back atmosphere, the subject/commentator was articulate and I also enjoyed the background music. At least it wasn't the dumbed down type of show that it could easily have been made into and I can't wait to see the rest of the series.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blimey! I thought this thread was supposed to be a critique of the programme, not AN members. :unsure:

Those of us who weren't keen on it have been branded, undiscerning TV viewers, with below average intelligence, short attention spans and an aversion to reading books. :blink:

There's no hope, shoot me now. :(

Afraid Anglers Net has got like that now.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I taped it and watched it last night, and I'll be taping and keeping the remaining two episodes too. It's not a great fishing program but it is a great program that contains some fishing. I really enjoyed the historical and cultural content, the scenery and the presenter and his guides. There were no close-ups of complex rigs shot only for product placement, and no wonder baits or tackle. I thought it captured the spirit of angling very nicely - a sense of the unknown, the anticipation, the nagging doubt that something's wrong, the wonderful surroundings - and the sudden longed for moment of contact! The bit that really summed up angling for me was at the beginning when he borrowed that 'rod' (i.e. stick) from a local and eventually caught a tiddler. Who here can honestly say they didn't want to be next to have a go? :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I also recorded it and watched it last night, and I agree entirely with Anderoo. It wasn't a detailed "how to catch mahseer" programme, but since I'll probably never fish for them I don't really care. I think the premise of "angler goes to foreign country, catches lot of fish, the end" has been done to death and doesn't really work. I remember losing interest in the John Wilson series when he went abroad because the charm of the original series was that he was doing what we all did (just on better waters with cruder tackle :lol: )

Could not agree more with Anderoo and Steve W most enjoyable, the programme covered lots of aspects (history, geography, culture, scenery, natural history etc) and not only the fishing, I am afraid the BBC are never going to make a fishing programme which only appeals to the fisherman it will never happen.

I particularly enjoyed the fact that for all their hopes and anticipation they only caught the one fish, seemed to ring a bell with me I think we have all been there sometime, you cant catch all the time but thats what brings you back for more although that might not make great TV for some.

I agree with Anderoo about the bit at the beginning with the borrowed rod and catching the small tilapia like species, it showed the common bond of angling across cultural and national divides; I suppose this is what Isaac Walton meant by the brotherhood of the angle.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Those of us who weren't keen on it have been branded, undiscerning TV viewers, with below average intelligence, short attention spans and an aversion to reading books. :blink:

The funny thing is, if the people who didn't like it really were undiscerning, they would have just said 'it was alright', or, 'dunno'

By saying you didn't like it, you've shown how discerning you are!

Opinion are never right or wrong, just opinions.

As for my opinon on the show, well, it was alright :)

I haven't actually watched it yet, but it's sitting under my telly waiting for me to not have anything better to watch.

I find what you have posted here offensive.... (boorish technique-obsessed, tackle-obsessed, die-hard ‘blue-collar’ British angler- the sort who believes carp poundage is the most important thing in the world)....(more intelligent and discerning viewer ) i don't see anywhere where anyone has stated they wanted to watch anything of the sort to what you are describing and then you want to question their intelligence as well

Sorry about that, carpstar. In fact, I was employing the device of caricature to make a point. I certainly did not expect anyone to identify themselves with it to the extent of taking personal offense.

I should like to add, retrospectively, and to all posts, the following disclaimer:

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.