Centrepin Users

dogstick

[i guess that's the way it is! I just wish the new Greys Bewick I ordered from eBay a few years ago for £100 had turned up!)

Well don't fret(unless you lost your cash obviously)...typical Grey's...overpriced and overhyped.I have tried 1 and have to say it was "slow" to spin....ie, it didn't revolve for that long. Shop owner said it needed "running in".....I want 1 to work from the off. I think he was having me on. Maybe not ? Also seemed heavy!

I borrowed a friend's and thought it a very nice lightweight reel. But that had been used a bit before so may have "run in".

I believe they are made in the far east too... (?)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant agree with den about CF or FS reels being better for trotting.The one and only reason I rate the pin as best for this is that it makes smoothly holding a top and bottom float back through the swim a dodle,it does it for you! A lot harder to do it smoothly with either of the other two.

I do however agree with him when he says about the buisness of a reel "spinning for ever!" Most of the reels I know that do this are admitedly very free running but the thing that keeps them spinning is the weight of the spool! the same factor that stops them paying out line unasisted! I want a real that will start turning easily and then keep turning smoothly paying out the line.The "spins for ever" serves no usefull purpose in my fishing.In fact I find (for my style of casting anyway) that the heavier spooled (spins for ever" reels take more of a pull to get turning and then are more prone to "over run". Especially when trying to cast a long way.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I do however agree with him when he says about the buisness of a reel "spinning for ever!" Most of the reels I know that do this are admitedly very free running but the thing that keeps them spinning is the weight of the spool! the same factor that stops them paying out line unasisted! I want a real that will start turning easily and then keep turning smoothly paying out the line.The "spins for ever" serves no usefull purpose in my fishing.In fact I find (for my style of casting anyway) that the heavier spooled (spins for ever" reels take more of a pull to get turning and then are more prone to "over run". Especially when trying to cast a long way.

The Adcock Stanton is very much like this, hence I don't use it much. For the same reason it doesn't wallis cast very well.

i've often had a wild thought that maybe a simple magnetic breaking system could be used to prevent over runs but i don't know enough about magnetic breakes (till i research them properly) if its a valid idea or not !!!

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

i've often had a wild thought that maybe a simple magnetic breaking system could be used to prevent over runs but i don't know enough about magnetic breakes (till i research them properly) if its a valid idea or not !!!

I thought that's what we had thumbs for. :unsure:

And Den, I've never seen moving water that was too slow to use a 'pin, you can feed line off the reel. That's another use for a thumb. :)

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Adding my two'pennorth to the pin topic, brought back some happy memories :).......what IS nice, is to use a pin for fishing a bung and livebait. I can just see it all now...overcast/slight sun.....almost dead lily beds.......bright red bung (not fluorescent) rod propped up on rest and line curving down to the float.

I suppose there is a bit of magic attached :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I suppose there is a bit of magic attached :)

That, I have to admit, is why I have one. I'm pretty sure I would catch more fish using my old closed face reel, (I can certainly cast further and more accurately with it) but the 'pin is just so much fun to use.

I cant agree with den about CF or FS reels being better for trotting.The one and only reason I rate the pin as best for this is that it makes smoothly holding a top and bottom float back through the swim a dodle,it does it for you! A lot harder to do it smoothly with either of the other two.

Especially in the very cold of winter, where you have to hold back and the fish(in my case grayling) want the bait held back hard, you just can't do it so well with a f/s or c/f though i conceed that some swims are better fished with a c/f.

Sorry, I can't accept that it is not possible to hold back when trotting with a CF or FS. You may not be able to do it well, but I can manage quite nicely thankyou :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I agree that it can be done very well indeed Den its just that I find the pin a lot easier to do it with.

I say this as people often say that pins are so hard to use or people only use them (despite the disadvantages) for reasons other than their suitability for the job.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!