Abu 7000

Cranfield

Is the black Abu 7000, different to the red Abu 7000 ?

I have an older one with the red side plates and I looked today at one with black side plates and it didn't seem the same, but it was an Abu 7000.

Is it me, or the X files. :(

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Is the black Abu 7000, different to the red Abu 7000 ?

I have an older one with the red side plates and I looked today at one with black side plates and it didn't seem the same, but it was an Abu 7000.

Is it me, or the X files. :(

Don't know about modern ones but, ABUs with red side plates had a 'C' after their name when given black side plates.

Not sure how they differed though.

My ABU 5000C is black!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Cranfield /Jim, I have a Red 7000....and a black 9000c, used to have a black 10000 CA, which noone could tell me anything about !! dont know any difference ,if there is one in fact. The man to tell you I think, would be The Reel Doctor, he knows all about them mate....or mibbes Jabee.....he knows a thing or two about reels, being a tackle tart like myself !!!!! :D:D

Edited by Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

ABU 6000s and 6000Cs,

ABU 5000s and 5000Cs

were all for sale at the same time(in different colours), so I presume the 'C's made a difference.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

the old C modles had ball races the red ones had bronze bushes, nowa days the cheep black ones that have a plastic spools engage/disengage button also have bronze spool bushes as well as a few other cheep short cuts inside .

hope that helps a bit

the old C modles had ball races the red ones had bronze bushes, nowa days the cheep black ones that have a plastic spools engage/disengage button also have bronze spool bushes as well as a few other cheep short cuts inside .

hope that helps a bit

Hi CPS, I take it the C models are the black ones.....

Didnt know about the ball race/bearing thingy.....thanks for that... :D:D:D

Wouldnt touch a modern one with a barge pole...not except the wee red 5000 I got from Jabee.....cracking wee reel that..... :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Not familiar with the abu's so much these days due to poor quality components. I know some of the black side plates are brass which don't corrode whilst the red ones are some sort of cheap alloy which corrodes terribly unless you are the sort of angler who has the time to take the best of care of their reels (mine get a little oil in the bearings from time to time but not much else - my penn 525 seems to survive well with minimal care). Some people buy the abu reels with cheep side plates and then replace them with side plates from the syncro which are the non corrosive ones.

Working from memory here, but think (assuming its the original made in Sweden reels from 70 -80`s) one had a standard drag on board, think the red ones but the black ones had an up-rated drag from a 9000. May have got the colours wrong there but whichever one came out second had the up-rated drag (I think :unsure::unsure: ) Probably talking bo####s as normal :D:D

the black ones had brass end plates rather than the **** they put on the red ones which corroded faster than an old datsun.

they also had ball bearings rather than bushes but esentially they were the same reel. the end plates are marked 7000c. i still have both. the c model is black and about 25 years old and is still working perfectly the red one has hardly been out of the box and is starting to corrode.

Think you will find that the BLACK 7000's are the new ones that came out with the ABU "7" Boat Rod and they are a BUDGET reel!!!

Rod was I think retailing at around £30 And reel was £50?? But a VERY cheap imitation of the REAL 7000's

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))