Fishing with Davy and Spasor

Norrie

Hiya, Well, I just got back last night from Lochaline fishing with Davy and Spasor, it was one of the best trips I have ever had, with 2 new species to my count and 2 new species to Davys account on the boat. I had a male Skate of 110lbs,which was severly miffed at me, it fought like the devil, at one point I really thought I was going over the edge, when I got it up, I found it had been hooked on the leading edge of its right wing, no wonder it went crazy. Spasor didnt have any luck with Skate on the first day. We also had Spurdog,cod,Big LSD, Whiting, Grey Gurnard (a new species for me)and Mackeral. Second day, we were after Tope, but no joy, then round the far side of Mull to get Spasor his 51st species, a Black Mouthed dogfish, in 630 feet he got one, to much yelling and clapping.At the same mark I had something on which stripped line like crazy, then broke me off on 30lb leader, Davy reckons it was a Hake.Third day, the weather was bad, a force 8, Davy was up and out before us, and got a new species for his boat, a Corkwing Wrasse, we made it to Innemore Bay, in a flurry of spray and fished for Mackeral and anything else that would take a bait, Davy targeted flatties and got a Dab for his trouble, to much shouting of Yes, Yes. ANOTHER new species for the boat.Then up to Loch Aline to fish in comfort for the rest of the day.I went after Thornback, and got one too, another new Species to my list, only a wee one 3 1/4 lb, but a Thornback none the less.The doggies were massive ,up to 3lb maybe a wee bit more. Mackeral were all about a 1lb, and were picking up ledgered baits, I've never experienced that before. Then it was time for me to leave for work today....Davy phoned me about 4pm, to let me know that Spasor had a female Skate of 205lb, and that he had one of 159lb, and a male of 119lb. And they still have a week to go. I'm going back up on Friday night to fish on Saturday. :D I cant wait.

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done lads, well done.

Nice skate at 205 Spasor, and nice BM dogfish too. I'm still waiting for my first BM dogfish.

Interesting re the gurnard - I was in the IOM at the end of last month and got grey gurnard (which I've also had in the English Channel years ago) and a couple of red gurnard - which was a new species for me. I got all the gurnard whilst drifting with sand-eel hoping for a turbot.

What next Davy? - Greenland Shark?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Norrie:

So the weekend was Ok then :P

What has pleased me the most from your topic is that paul had his black mouth doggie which was his target species but the added bonus was the 205lb and the 119lb male, both excellent fish by any standards :)

Davy Holts catches are not mentioned, once again the main man looking after his guests and no consideration or thought for himself :) well done Davy.

So Norrie its back to work and the land of the living, you owe me an email or 6. :P

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Sounds like you all have had one hell of a fishing jolly ....... lucky sod's .... but all the same great to hear you had so much success, I'm only jealous :o ( ... Jealousy is a terrible emotion, I must learn to live with it and deal with it better, I will tell myself this 10 times a day till I'm cured ;o)

Hiya, Thanks for the replies to the post. I've just gotten back from an overnight, and spoke to Davy last night, another 3 Skate to about 130lbs. Davy got the fish of 159lbs,and I think he got the male as well, he has been fishing his socks off, the great thing is that as far as I recall, all/most of the fish are untagged which all helps with the research. Vagabond, the Grey Gurnard were taken on the drift on baited mini Hokkais. Davy had one on and on retrieve a dogfish took the gurnard, it only let go on the surface, and the Gurnard was released unharmed. and, I'm definately going back up at the weekend. :D thats if there are any fish left to catch.

Theocritis..

A wee PS to the above post. I got it wrong, Davy had 7 hook ups yesterday and 5 fish landed to 127lb. Today,Linda had a male of 113lbs and Mark had a male of 103lbs.

Theocritis..