If you think commercial fishermen are your ‘enemy’...

JB

Many of us know our history, but what I am saying is - at least on the Yorkshire coast - things are very different now.

You talk of resentment, yes there is resentment. We all have our fair share of resentment, including me. But what good does it do?

JB

Hi john

Dont we all know the history indeed, the resentment will carry on john,you see with commercials refusing to take any of the blame for the situation and blocking every move they can to prevent good and proper conservation measures, it is one sure fire way of not bringing it to an end, cheers............

Edited by stavey

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi john

Dont we all know the history indeed, the resentment will carry on john,you see with commercials refusing to take any of the blame for the situation and blocking every move they can to prevent good and proper conservation measures, it is one sure fire way of not bringing it to an end, cheers............

Hi Stavey,

Many entirely blame commercial fishermen for the lack of fish stocks around our coast. Equally many applaud the governments of other countries such as Norway, Iceland and a few others for looking after their fish stocks.

So do you believe that past and present UK governments should shoulder no responsibility for the present state of our fish stocks?

JB

John Brennan and Michele Wheeler, Whitby

http://www.chieftaincharters.com

Hi Stavey,

Many entirely blame commercial fishermen for the lack of fish stocks around our coast. Equally many applaud the governments of other countries such as Norway, Iceland and a few others for looking after their fish stocks.

So do you believe that past and present UK governments should shoulder no responsibility for the present state of our fish stocks?

JB

No i did not say past and present goverments where blameless, on the contrary of course they were and are!!!!

What should the rsa's do, nothing john and leave things as they are? i may have mentioned i have a brother in oz, now when he emigrated in the sixties he found that this new land of plenty was not quite just that in certain respects, one of them was the local sea fishing quality not that special at that time because of over fishing mainly to do with the indonesians and local fishermen, today it is a different story as you probably know they have taken large steps to protect one of its valuable assets and are now reaping the rewards, we all know about the ntz's there and in new zealand etc you probably know more about that than me im sure, give me a good reason why similar measures would not benefit us here? there is only one thing that i know that would oppose those measures and it would not be the government given the chance, you fill in the blanks c l f g i y

Cheers....................

No i did not say past and present goverments where blameless, on the contrary of course they were and are!!!!

What should the rsa's do, nothing john and leave things as they are? i may have mentioned i have a brother in oz, now when he emigrated in the sixties he found that this new land of plenty was not quite just that in certain respects, one of them was the local sea fishing quality not that special at that time because of over fishing mainly to do with the indonesians and local fishermen, today it is a different story as you probably know they have taken large steps to protect one of its valuable assets and are now reaping the rewards, we all know about the ntz's there and in new zealand etc you probably know more about that than me im sure, give me a good reason why similar measures would not benefit us here? there is only one thing that i know that would oppose those measures and it would not be the government given the chance, you fill in the blanks c l f g i y

Cheers....................

Hi Stavey,

I strongly believe that the same attitude to preserving fish stocks that the New Zealanders have would work well and benefit all those who fish in the UK.

Are you suggesting that an industry which is reputedly smaller than the lawn mower-making industry and much smaller than the sandwich-making industry could successfully oppose the wishes of a government which has been powerful enough in the past to squash the massive mining industry along with many other substantial industries? A government who declared war on another country against the will of most of its population?

JB

Edited by John and Michele

Hi Stavey,

I strongly believe that the same attitude to preserving fish stocks that the New Zealanders have would work well and benefit all those who fish in the UK.

Are you suggesting that an industry which is reputedly smaller than the lawn mower-making industry and much smaller than the sandwich-making industry could successfully oppose the wishes of a government which has been powerful enough in the past to squash the massive mining industry along with many other substantial industries? A government who declared war on another country against the will of most of its population?

JB

Not exactly, but put it this way the goverments decision to bring in only an half measure proposed by the rsa ie.bass mls increase, must have been heavily influenced by an industry smaller than the lawnmower one, and after all we all know including the government that rsa sector is larger and has better prospects in the future if there are any fish left that is? cheers...................

Not exactly, but put it this way the goverments decision to bring in only an half measure proposed by the rsa ie.bass mls increase, must have been heavily influenced by an industry smaller than the lawnmower one, and after all we all know including the government that rsa sector is larger and has better prospects in the future if there are any fish left that is? cheers...................

Or put another way, our government cares nothing whatsoever for those who fish.

Do you think we, as UK citizens, are suffering from the Stockholm Syndrome?

JB

JB

stockholm syndrome towards our government? i guess some are but i think apathy has something to do with it and people are past caring, and just worrying about whether they can afford to get rat arsed at the weekends.......

Edited by stavey

JB

I'm looking forward to catching some big lunkers with you next year jb

:thumbs::fish::fishing::fishing1:

Fishing is fishing , Life is life , but life wouldn't be very enjoyable without fishing................ Mr M 12:03 / 19-3-2009